Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Proposed apartment for 14th and Grand - Two Light

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote:Rendering shows some masonry on the projecting part of the northeast end. Hoping this element is repeated on the south elevation to keep it from being just a slab.
Reminds me of Town Pavilion.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

So I'm still trying to understand the mural along the base of Two Light in the rendering. It looks like they intend to copy the mural along the south facing wall of P&L? I'm assuming this is more likely a placeholder design, and that space could be used for advertising or other imagery.

I would love to see another "art wall" here, like that on the Town Pavilion garage just north of the Live block.

Not sure that a hand-painted mural would look fantastic at the base of a new glass tower, if there is any intent to replicate the P&L mural.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Neon cowfolk!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

rxlexi wrote:So I'm still trying to understand the mural along the base of Two Light in the rendering. It looks like they intend to copy the mural along the south facing wall of P&L? I'm assuming this is more likely a placeholder design, and that space could be used for advertising or other imagery.

I would love to see another "art wall" here, like that on the Town Pavilion garage just north of the Live block.

Not sure that a hand-painted mural would look fantastic at the base of a new glass tower, if there is any intent to replicate the P&L mural.
In their testimony before PZE committee cordish stated that they were preserving the mural by moving it to the spot depicted in their initial rendering.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

kboish wrote:
In their testimony before PZE committee cordish stated that they were preserving the mural by moving it to the spot depicted in their initial rendering.
Wow. That's really cool.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Heard on the news that there are no buildings downtown that are vacant or don't have a plan for restoration. Once this wave of work in completed, everything else will be new construction. Hopefully we start to expand vertically.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:Heard on the news that there are no buildings downtown that are vacant or don't have a plan for restoration. Once this wave of work in completed, everything else will be new construction. Hopefully we start to expand vertically.
last I knew the New England building was mostly empty.
And the McWhiter building just to the south is

The Lane Printing building near them along with the lower floors of Union Carbide were renovated in recent years but are empty

That's just one block
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Heard on the news that there are no buildings downtown that are vacant or don't have a plan for restoration. Once this wave of work in completed, everything else will be new construction. Hopefully we start to expand vertically.
last I knew the New England building was mostly empty.
And the McWhiter building just to the south is

The Lane Printing building near them along with the lower floors of Union Carbide were renovated in recent years but are empty

That's just one block
I stand corrected. Sorry, I'm new to the scene. Why is Cordish going for quantity(of buildings) over height? It would seem better to pack as many units into the prime space around P&L as possible.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Yes, there are a few existant buildings yet to be repurposed, but it is a relative handful.

New construction is the future and the shift in thinking, approach and planning is needed now.

Regarding Cordish planning and quantity of buildings? It is possible from a point of engineering and technique to build a one block square building that is 150 stories tall for 15,000 residents, or we can build forty to sixty buildings to house the same number of people. The forty-sixty building solution is something more human in scale and more interesting, with opportunity for pedestrian experience, retail, streetlife and interaction. Actually, I much prefer it be four-six hundred buildings of 25-40 apartments in each building at a max of 5 story height.....
Last edited by loftguy on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Did you mean 15 stories?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:Did you mean 15 stories?
One Light is ~25 stories, approx. 500 people. it sits on approx. 1/8 of a block

so 500 * 8 = 4000 people in the same height for a whole block

150 / 25 = 6x higher than the current height

4000 * 6 = 24,000

so 150 stories for 15,000 people is realistic.

he prefers 400-600 5-story buildings
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Did you mean 15 stories?
One Light is ~25 stories, approx. 500 people. it sits on approx. 1/8 of a block

so 500 * 8 = 4000 people in the same height for a whole block

150 / 25 = 6x higher than the current height

4000 * 6 = 24,000

so 150 stories for 15,000 people is realistic.

he prefers 400-600 5-story buildings
That would seem like a waste of space
to have 400-600 5 story building. It would seem more efficient to build 20-40 story buildings.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

We've got a lot of city to rebuild.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Idai_phs, my ideal of 5 story buildings as the general maximum height is based on my experience with neighborhoods and cities around the world that feel good and attractive and that are a street scene filled with light, relatable scale, life and activity. Just take the country club plaza as an example. When the street experience grows significantly above this general height, it often becomes an urban canyon that dwarfs people and their experiences at the base. People don't congregate or linger any more than they do when passing parking or vacant lots. You can find this bleak circumstance in most any large downtown in the US, especially in government and financial districts.

I can't say I am unique in noting the effects of scale. Jane Jacobs' book, "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" would be a good read for anyone interested in this topic.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Inside the loop the minimum should be 20, outside the loop I can see some great potential for 4-5 storied neighborhoods.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Really? Why 20 Shinatoo? You realize you could fit a half million into the loop at that scale?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

20 just feels so right.

And I'm just talking new construction. And all new construction doesn't have to be resi. I would be thrilled if we had 300k living in the loop. That kind of density would support the kind of services we all want in a downtown. Restaurants open at all hours, drug stores, urban Target, you name it. All within walking.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.