Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby GRID » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:01 pm

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:
GRID wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:

Arguably the single most important shot in school history.

Key word being "school" not "city".

Lawrence and KU are not KC. If KC had a big time sports school like Cincy or Louisville, or ST Louis does, it would make sense. I just would have stuck to KC sports and left the college stuff for the place across the street. I would have put the most recent accomplishment (royals winning WS) in a prominent location like that.

I care nothing about college sports because I grew up in a town that doesn't have a team ;) But that's me. I'm obviously not like most people in KC.

I'm sure the mural is fine. It's just a mural. But combined with the super tacky and giant cowboy sign that towers over the district and the obnoxious and a bit large ONE TWO and THREE LIGHT signs, the aesthetics choices are just not great IMO.

Well it is facing the College Basketball Hall of Fame, so that might be why they put it there. I like it of course, but I can see why others might not. KU plays more basketball games in KC than Mizzou ever does.

I would not have done Mizzou either. It's downtown KC, not downtown Columbia or Lawrence. There are lots of alumni of both in greater KC, so what. Maybe a mural showcasing the basketball history of KC showing Municipal, Kemper and Sprint or something like that would have been cool or bringing back the Reebok mural like KCP mentioned which has a lot of local meaning and ties to the final four being held there.

But the KU mural is just playing to the KU crowd and probably irritating to the not only fans of other college teams, but KCMO locals that don't really care about any of the college teams. Keep the murals in downtown.... "KC". KC is not really kansas or missouri. KC has its own culture and identity nearly completely independent of both states, let alone the state downtown is not even in.

What should be there is a mural of an NHL or NBA team playing at the arena. Maybe some day. :)

StrangerThings
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby StrangerThings » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

So we all know what's being discussed. I snapped the top three, the bottom one is off of a co-workers social media and shows the indoor spa.

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Postby kcjak » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

I like the mural, but the LED seems off with it only taking up a quarter of that space. Too bad it had to be scaled down, but anxious to see it in person.

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

If the interstate is capped can they expand the display?

GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby GRID » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 pm

StrangerThings, thanks for the pics. After seeing the mural, I think it looks fine. I'll climb off soapbox :)

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I saw it yesterday, it's a non-issue.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:15 pm

The murals look fine.

It has been said before, but I'll say it again, the street level experience along the building was done very well. That was definitely the most important thing for me. I'm not as concerned about the wall of glass.

StrangerThings
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby StrangerThings » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:47 pm

kboish wrote:The murals look fine.

It has been said before, but I'll say it again, the street level experience along the building was done very well. That was definitely the most important thing for me. I'm not as concerned about the wall of glass.

Once all the landscaping goes in, it's going to look great. They haven't even started on Spark yet, so there will be some interior construction happening for awhile.

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
kboish wrote:The murals look fine.

Once all the landscaping goes in, it's going to look great. They haven't even started on Spark yet, so there will be some interior construction happening for awhile.

Any word on when three Light construction would start?

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Mural looks good.

StrangerThings
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby StrangerThings » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Not sure on Three Light breaking ground. They want to hit a certain lease percentage before starting which they're very close to BUT, the fiasco with the two city council members pushed things back slightly.

beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Looks very nice and is a great addition to DT. But, identical twins are creepy and identical quadruplets are horrifying. Time to switch it up!

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby JBmidtown » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Everything seems fine to me. I just wish I could afford to live there instead of the crappy, tragically vinyl-sided bungalow I’m about to move to.

grecobs
Pad site
Pad site

Postby grecobs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 pm

StrangerThings wrote:Not sure on Three Light breaking ground. They want to hit a certain lease percentage before starting which they're very close to BUT, the fiasco with the two city council members pushed things back slightly.

Was on a tour today -- the leasing agent said they just hit 50% and raised prices on all units by $50.

KC_JAYHAWK
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KC_JAYHAWK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice pictures ST. I think the KU picture is more a nod to Kansas City's historical ties to college basketball, whether Final Fours, Big 8/12 tournaments or NCAA regional tournaments. It's a big part of KC's sports history. Even though Kansas City hasn't hosted a Final Four since 1988, KC still holds the most Final Four tournaments hosted at 10.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Should have done a pic from the 88 title game....or. the. Reebok. Ad!

(I'm not giving up)

KC_JAYHAWK
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KC_JAYHAWK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:32 pm

88 title game would have probably been a picture of Danny Manning, which I think would have been awesome as well. :)

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Yup, would have tied well into a local team and history of us having the final four...

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby scooterj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:59 am

KCPowercat wrote:Should have done a pic from the 88 title game....or. the. Reebok. Ad!

(I'm not giving up)

Which building had the Reebok ad? I remember it well, but downtown has changed so much since then I am having a really hard time picturing where it was located.

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby ldai_phs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am

The Reebok Ad would be a cool addition to 3 Light. I am pretty sure we would have to get their permission to use it though.

Return to “Power & Light District”