Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3855
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby beautyfromashes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

God, how many coworking spaces do we have already?!? Plow the new road or get out of the way. Poaching off an existing market doesn't add anything to DT.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27898
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Okay. Proof is in the pudding and cordish hasn't brought the goods to this point. They said they needed housing first....they have hundreds of residents now in their own towers and thousands more in surrounding towers. No more excuses left. Thousands of tourist drop off at their doors with the streetcar per day....still...nothing of note.

All this announcement did today was water down another market...lol at not wanting to water down jos a. Bank market as the excuse for not bringing in retail.

ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby ULCajun » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 pm

what a disappointment

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby horizons82 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 pm

What a joke.

I pointed this out in October in the gerneal P&L thread... StrangerThings claimed it wasn't happening...

horizons82 wrote:FWIW, the cordish site already calls for (yet another) coworking space and "cafe" to come to Two Light:

Image


StrangerThings wrote:That's a little bit outdated. The co-working space is off the table, for now.....


Magically soon after that you had to have an account to view the leasing website.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27898
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm

And the cafe....the one thing that might be a nice addition (Lord knows we don't have any lunch cafes downtown) remains unaannounced.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:God, how many coworking spaces do we have already?!? Plow the new road or get out of the way. Poaching off an existing market doesn't add anything to DT.


Considering they’re a major success in cities on the east and west coast combined with the fact that many young professionals are entrepreneurs who either live downtown or want to, this space is perfect. Young people more than ever want to live downtown, not own a vehicle and have everything within walking distance.

“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm

horizons82 wrote:What a joke.

I pointed this out in October in the gerneal P&L thread... StrangerThings claimed it wasn't happening...

horizons82 wrote:FWIW, the cordish site already calls for (yet another) coworking space and "cafe" to come to Two Light:

Image


StrangerThings wrote:That's a little bit outdated. The co-working space is off the table, for now.....


Magically soon after that you had to have an account to view the leasing website.


It was off the table for a few months as Cordish was considering moving their offices to the location on the 2nd floor and putting a different tenant on the first floor.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27898
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:28 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:God, how many coworking spaces do we have already?!? Plow the new road or get out of the way. Poaching off an existing market doesn't add anything to DT.


Considering they’re a major success in cities on the east and west coast combined with the fact that many young professionals are entrepreneurs who either live downtown or want to, this space is perfect. Young people more than ever want to live downtown, not own a vehicle and have everything within walking distance.

“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:


You understand how many co-working space are downtown and open right now don't you?

Embarrassing the city manager showed up for this announcement honestly.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:30 pm

KCPowercat wrote:Okay. Proof is in the pudding and cordish hasn't brought the goods to this point. They said they needed housing first....they have hundreds of residents now in their own towers and thousands more in surrounding towers. No more excuses left. Thousands of tourist drop off at their doors with the streetcar per day....still...nothing of note.

All this announcement did today was water down another market...lol at not wanting to water down jos a. Bank market as the excuse for not bringing in retail.


40,000 is the number everyone agrees is a sustainable population. We are at 30,000. Like I’ve continued to say, we are not there yet. Don’t you think Three Light would be a great location for a ground floor national retailer?

It’s not about excuses. Cordish would make a pretty penny off a lease to a national retailer, you think they don’t know that? It’s a long play and moving too fast can really hurt in the long run.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:God, how many coworking spaces do we have already?!? Plow the new road or get out of the way. Poaching off an existing market doesn't add anything to DT.


Considering they’re a major success in cities on the east and west coast combined with the fact that many young professionals are entrepreneurs who either live downtown or want to, this space is perfect. Young people more than ever want to live downtown, not own a vehicle and have everything within walking distance.

“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:


You understand how many co-working space are downtown and open right now don't you?

Embarrassing the city manager showed up for this announcement honestly.



Very aware. He actually called Walnut “incubator row” today. How many of those can you live in the same building? How many of those are in a brand new high rise? How many of those have worked with 300 companies in another market?

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3855
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby beautyfromashes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:

You could literally put a coworking space in any building DT. Floor 36. Floor 50. It's already happening.

You took a prime location and wasted it. Congratulations, you took filet mignon, turned it into hamburger and then spout that everyone wants hamburgers.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27898
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:38 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Okay. Proof is in the pudding and cordish hasn't brought the goods to this point. They said they needed housing first....they have hundreds of residents now in their own towers and thousands more in surrounding towers. No more excuses left. Thousands of tourist drop off at their doors with the streetcar per day....still...nothing of note.

All this announcement did today was water down another market...lol at not wanting to water down jos a. Bank market as the excuse for not bringing in retail.


40,000 is the number everyone agrees is a sustainable population. We are at 30,000. Like I’ve continued to say, we are not there yet. Don’t you think Three Light would be a great location for a ground floor national retailer?

It’s not about excuses. Cordish would make a pretty penny off a lease to a national retailer, you think they don’t know that? It’s a long play and moving too fast can really hurt in the long run.


Yup and I'm on record saying if cordish can't deliver retail in three light it is a huge failure of this entire plan. Not saying the district as a whole is a failure but that would be a pretty significant black eye to cordish....they've been handed a blank slate to deliver....now is time to deliver.

grecobs
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby grecobs » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 pm

The hype certainly didn’t live up to the announment IMO, however, this is the first business locating to P&L. The coworking space will bring white collar workers to the district that, adding some economic diversity, which is essential for any neighborhood to thrive.

If the announcement was tweeted rather than built up like this, I think the sentiment would be a bit lighter. Not an exciting announcement but also not a loss. I would consider this a win for P&L.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27898
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
Considering they’re a major success in cities on the east and west coast combined with the fact that many young professionals are entrepreneurs who either live downtown or want to, this space is perfect. Young people more than ever want to live downtown, not own a vehicle and have everything within walking distance.

“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:


You understand how many co-working space are downtown and open right now don't you?

Embarrassing the city manager showed up for this announcement honestly.



Very aware. He actually called Walnut “incubator row” today. How many of those can you live in the same building? How many of those are in a brand new high rise? How many of those have worked with 300 companies in another market?


So watering down a well served market...all the while an underserved retail market isn't fulfilled....that's being a true leader in the neighborhood...congrats

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:

You could literally put a coworking space in any building DT. Floor 36. Floor 50. It's already happening.

You took a prime location and wasted it. Congratulations, you took filet mignon, turned it into hamburger and then spout that everyone wants hamburgers.


You are so right! Cordish spent 100 million dollars on this building and decided to not make any money off this large space just to spite you all!

You can put co-working space anywhere, you can’t offer what Spark will have to offer.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby Critical_Mass » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
“Poaching off an existing market”. I actually LOL’d on that one. Spark has always been planned to go in Two Light and the Baltimore location was opened two years ago. Many people strongly disagree with you, including the city Manager. This is the first NEW class-A office space since the H&R building. You’re right, doesn’t add anything to downtown. :roll:

You could literally put a coworking space in any building DT. Floor 36. Floor 50. It's already happening.

You took a prime location and wasted it. Congratulations, you took filet mignon, turned it into hamburger and then spout that everyone wants hamburgers.


Who is the 'you' here? Did the StrangerThings individual you all are harassing personally negotiate and ink the deal for the co-working space?
So, not everyone is going to personally benefit from this tenant. So what? If the business model at that location fails, the space will still be there ready to lease out to someone else.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby WoodDraw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Why did they hype this? It's fine, but they had to know no one would care about co-working space.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:52 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
You understand how many co-working space are downtown and open right now don't you?

Embarrassing the city manager showed up for this announcement honestly.



Very aware. He actually called Walnut “incubator row” today. How many of those can you live in the same building? How many of those are in a brand new high rise? How many of those have worked with 300 companies in another market?


So watering down a well served market...all the while an underserved retail market isn't fulfilled....that's being a true leader in the neighborhood...congrats


Let me see, hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on market research by third party companies or your opinion.... I don’t know why I come on here, I guess I’m a sucker for punishment. Than again, I wouldn’t have made it to the director level without being passionate about what we do. At this point, I’m understanding I’m wasting an incredible amount of time responding to a unique group set of people who will find issues with nearly anything Cordish does unless it’s exactly what they want.

I’ve used the streetcar once. It’s virtually useless to me personally yet I’m an avid supporter because I understand and agree the demand exists and while it’s useless to me in its current form, I do see that long term it will personally benifit me. I find it borderline insane that you think a company with nearly a billion dollars invested into this downtown area would do anything but what they have concluded to be the best for area. You can have your personal opinions and likes/dislikes of decisions made, but to make statements like “Cordish will have failed” or to assume you know better about what downtown needs simply because you live here is obtuse.

If you have any professional insight or market knowledge that I’m unaware of, I’d love to hear it. I started coming here years ago to take in everyone’s opinions and pass them along in meetings. I’d love to pass along something besides “more retail”. More retail is a part of the master plan. Capping is in the plan. More high rise buildings are in the plan.

What’s not in the plan is rushing anything because Cordish is afraid of someone calling them a failure.
Last edited by StrangerThings on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 pm

WoodDraw wrote:Why did they hype this? It's fine, but they had to know no one would care about co-working space.


To be fair, they didn’t really hype this up or put much PR into it. A simple press release and social media blast.

User avatar
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:37 am

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby NorthOak » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 pm

StrangerThings wrote:40,000 is the number everyone agrees is a sustainable population. We are at 30,000. Like I’ve continued to say, we are not there yet. Don’t you think Three Light would be a great location for a ground floor national retailer?


True.

And this is interesting.
Spark launched its initial venue in Baltimore in 2016, welcoming 110 companies in its first two years of operations, according to the news release.



Why doesn't everyone calm down. It's not like StrangerThings (freely) comes here to answer each one of your incessant rants.
There's nothing stopping any one of you from emptying your own 401Ks and building your own Target if you think were ready.
In the meantime, I'm hoping Three Light gets started and finished quickly and a major retailer gets snagged to be on the streetcar line.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.


Return to “Power & Light District”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests