P&L Watch Parties

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

P&L Watch Parties

Post by earthling »

Given the big boost watch parties give P&L, you'd think they would invest upgrading the subpar big screen in courtyard...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... eling.html

Another report said KC Live courtyard can hold about 7K people, maybe up to 10K with club/restaurant patios.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: P&L Watch Parties

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I know it was cold outside but why wasn't there a watch party in the courtyard when Sporting KC won the title at home, i went to the P&L that day thinking there would be something and there was nothing going on.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

There was a watch party at the club at Sporting Park. I wonder if the match got eclipsed by all of the Royals fever?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcjak wrote:There was a watch party at the club at Sporting Park. I wonder if the match got eclipsed by all of the Royals fever?
It sounds like brewcrew1000 was referring to the Championship match last year that was won at Sporting Park in Dec. 2013.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

bobbyhawks wrote:
kcjak wrote:There was a watch party at the club at Sporting Park. I wonder if the match got eclipsed by all of the Royals fever?
It sounds like brewcrew1000 was referring to the Championship match last year that was won at Sporting Park in Dec. 2013.
Correct, this was also the same day as the Mizzou championship and that game kind of eclipsed the sporting game as well especially in missouri
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:Given the big boost watch parties give P&L, you'd think they would invest upgrading the subpar big screen in courtyard...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... eling.html

Another report said KC Live courtyard can hold about 7K people, maybe up to 10K with club/restaurant patios.
They just upgraded that thing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah, good to hear. I haven't been to a P&L event in a while.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's still not great but it's a bit bigger and HD
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

External screens are hard. Anything weatherproof will reduce quality by design. And to get really good is of course expensive. Which is hard when it's not a direct draw that brings in money nightly

I would prefer they wait for 4k and go all out on that screen then
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:External screens are hard. Anything weatherproof will reduce quality by design. And to get really good is of course expensive. Which is hard when it's not a direct draw that brings in money nightly

Weatherproofing is not an issue. Viewing distance is. Any outdoor setup like this is going to be LED technology and the smallest pitch available is 3mm. I believe the current screen is 5mm. Not throwing up all the math, with 20/20 vision you are still going to be able to discern individual pixels in the first 10 rows. Moving to 4K won't make a difference because the pixel pitch will still be 3mm at best. 4k with a 3mm LED tech will just make a 1080P screen 4 times larger.

They could go with a projection system like they did at the public plaza in St. Louis but there is no way Cordish is going to swallow the ongoing maintenance cost of projection.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Shinatoo, are you speaking of Old Post Office Plaza (OPOP) in STL? I was under the impression that the Cordish-owned Ballpark Village there used a similar screen to P&L in the main public space. I've only briefly wandered through this area but that was what it looked like to me, albeit perhaps a bit larger.
mykn

Post by mykn »

shinatoo wrote:
flyingember wrote:External screens are hard. Anything weatherproof will reduce quality by design. And to get really good is of course expensive. Which is hard when it's not a direct draw that brings in money nightly

Weatherproofing is not an issue. Viewing distance is. Any outdoor setup like this is going to be LED technology and the smallest pitch available is 3mm. I believe the current screen is 5mm. Not throwing up all the math, with 20/20 vision you are still going to be able to discern individual pixels in the first 10 rows. Moving to 4K won't make a difference because the pixel pitch will still be 3mm at best. 4k with a 3mm LED tech will just make a 1080P screen 4 times larger.

They could go with a projection system like they did at the public plaza in St. Louis but there is no way Cordish is going to swallow the ongoing maintenance cost of projection.
I used to work at the company that makes most of these screens (Daktronics) and it's crazy how low resolution they actually are. I forget now, but even the billboards you see on the side of the road were something like 120x480 resolution. You're just so far away from it that everything looks pretty good. When you're close though, eh, doesn't look that great.