KC Live LED Lights stuck

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

KC Live LED Lights stuck

Post by KCRoyal »

The LED lights that light up KC Live's canopy have been stuck on the same color pattern for a while. They used to change up the colors every so often, but it's been doing yellow and red for a long time. Has anyone else noticed that? Is there a glitch or is it just they haven't had the time to switch it up?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC Live LED Lights stuck

Post by AllThingsKC »

Their video board sucks too.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

They must have used the same stuff as the pylons along 169/Broadway leading into downtown that never function properly.

Is it really that difficult to make a light light up?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AllThingsKC wrote:Their video board sucks too.
They upgraded it for 2014 Big 12....I still think it could be bigger but at least it's HD now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLofts wrote:They must have used the same stuff as the pylons along 169/Broadway leading into downtown that never function properly.

Is it really that difficult to make a light light up?
not by itself.

but when you bring modot into the picture, absolutely.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

I remember thinking how cool it was to switch the pattern to red, white and blue for Veteran's Day and Fourth of July. Red and green for the holidays. I think they even did blue and yellow for the Royals if I'm not mistaken.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

KCPowercat wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:Their video board sucks too.
They upgraded it for 2014 Big 12....I still think it could be bigger but at least it's HD now.
It looks a whole lot better. Don't know what they did, whether it's a brand new board, but it looks good. I noticed they got rid of that LED strip that was on top of the main board that always flashed 'Kansas City'.
mykn

Post by mykn »

StrangerThings wrote:The original screen was a Daktronics screen, the current one is an off-brand and is nearing the end of it's life cycle.
Fun fact: A very low resolution picture of my face is a test mode in some of those old screens (the ones that use the DD4040 boards if I can remember that far back).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And now we know.
mykn

Post by mykn »

StrangerThings wrote:
mykn wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:The original screen was a Daktronics screen, the current one is an off-brand and is nearing the end of it's life cycle.
Fun fact: A very low resolution picture of my face is a test mode in some of those old screens (the ones that use the DD4040 boards if I can remember that far back).
Nice! The original Daktronics signal path was fiber from the processor to the screen, current one is cat5. I thought it was interesting that a screen in 2007 utilized fiber.
Yep, I interned there for two years. The DD4040 took in fiber and distributed the pixel data to Ethernet. It's amazing how hot those things ran.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Did they decide to stop doing the search lights in the sky that used to be in the light towers?
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCLover wrote:Did they decide to stop doing the search lights in the sky that used to be in the light towers?
The one to the east was broken last time I asked but was being repaired. I'm sure they'll be operational by spring. It will be interesting to see if they'll make it over the top of Two Light.
That's great to hear as I have missed those. I figured they were doing away with them since the East tower added the LED screen.
Great to have someone on the Cordish inside here. Thank you for your responses and information.