The Kill Devil Club

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: The Kill Devil Club

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Thanks to everyone for all of the positive feedback on this project! I've been a big fan of our local jazz and live music scene for a long time, and getting the opportunity to open a club like that, marrying it with a craft cocktail bar is awesome.
Or could become a new jazz corner to hop around. The President Hotel needs to figure out the right kind of vibe for the Drum Room and then there will be a little jazz club stretch that would compliment each
This is what I'm hoping for. I've met the guys in charge of Chesterfield a few times now, and I think this will also be a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. There should be enough subtle difference between the venues so as to not create too much competition.
Book some loud, horn-laden shit

Yep. One of the first events upon opening will be a massive, 10-12 piece brass band led by Mark Lowrey, doing a tribute to Count Basie during the Paris of the Plains Cocktail Festival. Friday, August 24th.
exactly. we need to bring back wild, raucous jazz, not "dinner music" jazz. KC is known for big band and bop, not post-Sade crooning.

I think there's a place for the "Listening Room" concept and vibe. But this probably won't be it. I think of the Blue Room as more of a Listening Room. I've been to Jazz Standard in New York several times, and they have fantastic performers. But you're very likely to be "shhhhh'd" there. They also charge $35 + for tickets, so maybe they can get away with that since they're drawing in the hardcore fans of the music. I see the Kill Devil Club as a lively, fun, upbeat place, that will try to have some crossover appeal to a new, possibly younger demographic. Someone on here mentioned Tonic, I haven't been there, will have to check it out on my next visit.

do the windows of the PeachTree open to the street? Would be pretty cool way to advertise that music is upstairs.

They don't right now, but we've discussed this. It would be really cool if we can make that happen. By the way, the huge blade sign for PeachTree is staying, we're just replacing the letters to read The Kill Devil Club.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Do you plan to do full restaurant, small eats, no eats?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Are you going to have a hand in running the place, or is this something that you'll set up and another company, say Cordish, will operate?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KC Sporting Life wrote:
do the windows of the PeachTree open to the street? Would be pretty cool way to advertise that music is upstairs.
They don't right now, but we've discussed this. It would be really cool if we can make that happen. By the way, the huge blade sign for PeachTree is staying, we're just replacing the letters to read The Kill Devil Club.
Glad your keeping the sign. Just seems like with Peachtree sign, people'd look up and see the sign and dark second story windows and wonder, "what's up there, and how do I get there?"

That little shared entrance between Bristol and Frans is kind of obscure IMO.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KC-wildcat wrote:
KC Sporting Life wrote:
Glad you're keeping the sign. Hope you do something to draw attention to the street level entrance, though. Seems like people'd look up and see the sign and dark second story windows and wonder, "what's up there, and how do I get there?"

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

bobbyhawks wrote:
FangKC wrote:That is how I discovered Jeff Buckley when I live in the East Village of New York City. I was walking past Cafe Sine' one night and the heard him singing through a window.
You discovered Jeff Buckley?& Seriously, though, that is an amazing story, and you have a good ear. I bet his live show was otherworldly with a voice and guitar chops like that.
Well, I didn't discover him per se, but I came across one of his early shows at Cafe Sine' in the summer of 1992 just by walking by the club and hearing his voice through the window. Cafe Sine' was a very small venue, and the artist sat near the front window, and you could see them performing from the sidewalk. I doubt the place could hold 50 people standing. I was drawn into the club by his haunting voice, and became a fan. He wasn't signed with a label yet. One of my good friends later became friends with him, and also performed at Cafe Sine'.

On another note, I also saw the first performances of the songs from Hedwig and the Angry Inch at Squeezebox in Tribeca before the musical was ever completed. They used to test out the songs from the musical at the nightclub, because John Cameron Mitchell used to hang out there. Stephen Trask was in the house band at Squeezebox, and used to back up Debbie Harry when she performed there. I have an aluminum foil hat that Debbie Harry tossed to me one night when she did an unannounced show. My friend opened for her.

I saw Chris Botti perform at Fez when he was still a session musician, and before his first CD came out.

A band I did discover though was later signed by producer Phil Ramone and signed to his N2K label, and my good friend, whom I helped manage and promote, later was signed by Elton John on his Rocket Records label.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

earthling wrote:Do you plan to do full restaurant, small eats, no eats?

There will be a small plate menu. Cordish is moving one of their chefs over from another location, and I've sampled a couple of the dishes. I think they're off to a good start.

smh wrote:Are you going to have a hand in running the place, or is this something that you'll set up and another company, say Cordish, will operate?

Technically, I don't own/operate the venue, but I will have an ongoing interest in it. I will be there on a consistent/regular basis, working behind the bar one night a week and hopefully helping to maintain a certain level of quality and execution. I'll have ongoing input on the live music scheduling and menus. I still spend the majority of my time at The Rieger/Manifesto, but the cool thing about this location is just how close everything is to each other. I sold my car a year ago, and live and work downtown. I like the idea of being able to walk from one venue to another.
KC-wildcat wrote:
KC Sporting Life wrote:
Glad your keeping the sign. Just seems like with Peachtree sign, people'd look up and see the sign and dark second story windows and wonder, "what's up there, and how do I get there?"

I think the obscured entrance probably hurt traffic for a concept like Peachtree, but I don't really think it will hurt traffic to this place. It may sound to some like the same thing, but a latenight lounge/live music venue I would expect to be a little more of a destination where being off the beaten path doesn't matter as much, whereas the Peachtree should have been more accessible. Just my opinion based on experience at Manifesto.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

Sounds Great :D As perhaps the lone member of the "Rum of the Month Club" at Cellar & Loft I am really excited about your new place. Hopefully you will be able to find ways to get some rums that don't seem available to retail/package stores in Missouri.

Will the Corn N Oil make the menu? Probably my favorite rum cocktail right now.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

tella100 wrote:Sounds Great :D As perhaps the lone member of the "Rum of the Month Club" at Cellar & Loft I am really excited about your new place. Hopefully you will be able to find ways to get some rums that don't seem available to retail/package stores in Missouri.

RUM OF THE MONTH CLUB?!?!?!?
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

tella100 wrote:Sounds Great :D As perhaps the lone member of the "Rum of the Month Club" at Cellar & Loft I am really excited about your new place. Hopefully you will be able to find ways to get some rums that don't seem available to retail/package stores in Missouri.

Wow. CORN N OIL??? In 14 years of bartending no one has ever requested that drink from me. But, it's a simple one to make so that won't be a problem. When we opened Manifesto in 2009 we put a riff on this cocktail on the menu, called The Bridgetown. Check it out.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

KC Sporting Life wrote:

Wow. CORN N OIL??? In 14 years of bartending no one has ever requested that drink from me. But, it's a simple one to make so that won't be a problem. When we opened Manifesto in 2009 we put a riff on this cocktail on the menu, called The Bridgetown. Check it out.
Yea, I had one, in the dead of winter, at a bar in Indianapolis (The Ball and Biscuit-great spot btw) it was good enough. Then ran across it again in that big Bitters book (the one with the great pictures) and decided to make them at home. Took me awhile to find the Falernum though.

Will certainly have to check out the Bridgetown.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

tella100 wrote:
KC Sporting Life wrote:

Yea, I had one, in the dead of winter, at a bar in Indianapolis (The Ball and Biscuit-great spot btw) it was good enough. Then ran across it again in that big Bitters book (the one with the great pictures) and decided to make them at home. Took me awhile to find the Falernum though.

Will certainly have to check out the Bridgetown.

There's only one bottled Falernum on the market, John D. Taylor, and it's availability is incosistent. We make our own, that way we know we'll always have it. Not sure if we'll be doing that yet at Kill Devil, it's about a 4 day process to make each batch. We'll try to carry the John D. Taylor stuff as long as it's in stock.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

New signage going up today.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote:New signage going up today.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Got a sneak peak last night. Great space and like the new layout. Drinks were great as expected.

Have to find a way to crack a Window or two to let the music flow into the street. Draw people's attention and add a great soundtrack to the neighborhood.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I was there last night as well, and was beyond blown away. I imagine that I'll be here very, very often.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ColumbusParkian wrote:I was there last night as well, and was beyond blown away. I imagine that I'll be here very, very often.

+1
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Agree, it's a great looking space. Looking forward to getting a peek at the drink menu.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

The Kill Devil Club was picked as one of the top 21 Hottest Cocktail Bars and a Top 10 Rum-Centric Bar. It looks like this place has quickly built a solid reputation for quality cocktails...

http://eater.com/archives/2012/11/28/th ... states.php

http://eater.com/archives/2012/11/28/16 ... merica.php
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Haven't been yet and will give it a chance but am really disappointed to see such a bright place on the web-site with white ceilings. A no-no for night spots unless trying to draw the sexagenarian Putsch's Cafeteria crowd. Need to check it out firsthand before judging but hmm.