The Kill Devil Club

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

The Kill Devil Club

Post by kboish »

SO, I wasn't sure where to put this....figured scene is most appropriate, but this is going in P&L where the Peachtree used to be.

From the Star:
The Kill Devil Club is a collaboration between local restaurateur and mixologist Ryan Maybee and ECi
It will have live music Wednesday through Sunday evenings, and including significant jazz programming as well as other styles of music.
ECI also is opening The Gallery Event Space, across the hall from the Kill Devil Club. The 9,000-square-foot, second floor space is scheduled to open in August.
this seems pretty big for P&L to get someone with a lot of KC creditability to help open a space.

Edit: heres the link http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/25/36 ... t-new.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: The Kill Devil Club

Post by chingon »

This is the first thing that has the potential to make me a P/L regular. (I've been 3 times, so far, if you include the ancillary retail and movie theatre.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Freaking awesome. Tough draw on that 2nd level so something unique and a concept by a great guy in Ryan could be the recipe this space needs.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great news. I'd be interested to hear if Cordish reached out to Ryan and Co., or if it was the other way around. Either way, it is nice to see Cordish filling some of the empty slots, regardless of if it was their doing or not. Perhaps this will lead to other efforts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Article quote from Ryan said they reached out to him a few times...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:Article quote from Ryan said they reached out to him a few times...
Guess it helps if you read the article.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Won't this club sort of be in direct competition with the Chesterfield Club in the Mainstreet Theater--jazz club?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Or could become a new jazz corner to hop around. The President Hotel needs to figure out the right kind of vibe for the Drum Room and then there will be a little jazz club stretch that would compliment each other.

Ryan M, with Jardine's now gone you should focus on taking over that kind of booking. But consider becoming a 'listening room' with no or few eats.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Story on the Chesterfield Club in the Mainstreet.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/25/36 ... takes.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

earthling wrote: But consider becoming a 'listening room' with no or few eats.
Fuck that. The last thing this scene needs is another "Shush Jazz" joint. Book some loud, horn-laden shit. Clinking glasses and brassy laughter is the best back-up man in all of jazz.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chingon wrote:
The last thing this scene needs is another "Shush Jazz" joint. Book some loud, horn-laden shit. Clinking glasses and brassy laughter is the best back-up man in all of jazz.
=D> exactly. we need to bring back wild, raucous jazz, not "dinner music" jazz. KC is known for big band and bop, not post-Sade crooning.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wasn't talking dinner music or Blue Room. Was thinking more like Tonic in NYC, which booked a wide range of jazz and experimental music that would often be raucous if not insane. It's not the old school listening room at all. Just a bar, music and no eats. A few small eats could work.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

earthling wrote: not the old school listening room
My bad. I guess that what I think of when I think of a listening room, which I avoid as a rule.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chrizow wrote:
chingon wrote:
The last thing this scene needs is another "Shush Jazz" joint. Book some loud, horn-laden shit. Clinking glasses and brassy laughter is the best back-up man in all of jazz.
=D> exactly. we need to bring back wild, raucous jazz, not "dinner music" jazz. KC is known for big band and bop, not post-Sade crooning.
very much agree
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I have long wanted a place in KC where you can go into a club environment and see a big band in full swing with small cocktail tables (ala Goodfellas), a dance space that does not expect too much but can be made to accomodate more, and a full band in suits or tuxes with the deluxe band podiums. I feel like if you are going to celebrate our jazz history, there should be at least one night a month or week where you can see this somewhere. I'm probably just not in the know, but it seems the big band offerings are often in larger auditoriums or kind of drab. I'd like to go to an upbeat, class joint, where you can feel like you are a part of history, yet not be totally surrounded by old folks who think it is too loud. Perhaps that has been too small of a segment, but I think many younger people have just never understood how or had great opportunities to embrace our jazz history other than through museums and districts with fake storefronts. I love a more casual jazz experience, but I think the casual experience is what turns many away from the genre.

It sounds like this place will be perfectly suited to put a more up-tempo vibe out. In my past experiences in the Blue Room or at Jardine's, the focus has been on providing a casual experience for hardcore jazz enthusiasts. As others mentioned, I want to go to a place where I feel like I'm setting the town on fire (or at least the band is setting the room on fire) and where people aren't just staring silently, which is why I think the Mutual Musician's Foundation has prospered. They do some more casual and low-key stuff, but the feeling of being somewhere unique and feeling energized certainly comes across. I think there are other aspects of the P&L that get certain people into this mentality already, so perhaps this will add to and diversify the dynamic already in the urban core. This is the type of place where you go when you are out for the evening, which I am most excited about. What to do downtown tonight? Well you can always catch a show at the Kill Devil Club (fantastic name by the way).
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

do the windows of the PeachTree open to the street? Would be pretty cool way to advertise that music is upstairs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, the best advertisement for Kansas City would be for hotel guests at conventions to walk down 14th Street and hear loud jazz music blaring from the clubs, and smell good BBQ in the air. I kind of wish the Kill Devil Club was at street-level though so people could look through doors or windows and see the artists playing.

That is how I discovered Jeff Buckley when I live in the East Village of New York City. I was walking past Cafe Sine' one night and the heard him singing through a window.

It would also be great if The New Century Follies burlesque troope could be scheduled at The Folly or Lyric Theater during big conventions.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC-wildcat wrote:do the windows of the PeachTree open to the street? Would be pretty cool way to advertise that music is upstairs.
I don't believe they used to but I agree, that would be great.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It would be great if a couple of raunchier clubs would open along Broadway in the old Tanner's space, Seiden's Fur, or that other building north of Majestic Steakhouse. Maybe one of them could be a permanent burlesque and vaudeville club. The rents in these buildings would be much cheaper probably than at P&L, and they would add some "color" to the downtown entertainment mix. Sometimes I think downtown is too sterile.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote:That is how I discovered Jeff Buckley when I live in the East Village of New York City. I was walking past Cafe Sine' one night and the heard him singing through a window.
You discovered Jeff Buckley?& Seriously, though, that is an amazing story, and you have a good ear. I bet his live show was otherworldly with a voice and guitar chops like that.