One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Potential Residential Component

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

OMGosh, I just realized that Jones blasts load techno jams on weekends into the late evening. I hope they really soundproof those apartments!! ;) Still love it though!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by DaveKCMO »

at least an empty retail stall has potential. an empty lobby for residents generates no revenue and permanently limits potential.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

pash wrote: As small as the footprint is, there's really not much room for anything but a lobby, the elevators/stairs, and a management office. Maybe a convenience store or something.
Yeah, given the small foot print I would've expected 250 units to be much higher than 23 floors. But they'll use the garage next door and most units are 1 bedroom. Still seems to lean lower rise for 250 units.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

DaveKCMO wrote:at least an empty retail stall has potential. an empty lobby for residents generates no revenue and permanently limits potential.
On the flip side, a rotting, empty retail which is dark at night, looks bad. I'd rather see 250 sg ft. of brightly lit glass, shining terrazo floors, and people coming and going than another darkened stretch of sidewalk with construction paper in the window.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KC-wildcat wrote:But, Cordish's retail block is 15% occupied as is. And the City's ROI reflects this mass vacancy. I doubt Cordish or the City are too hellbent on adding even more retail space to this void.
Probably what they are thinking. Will want/need the leasing space for the first year or two. After that, assess where things are at and decide if it is worth it to change over to retail. As much as I'd rather it be some kind of retail/resto - it just doesn't seem practical right now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ground level retail for sure. long term focus here.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On the lobby, I could see Consentino's possibly expanding into part of the lobby or operating seating that extends to the lobby. A mini coffee bar operated by them seems feasible. Maybe not quite that but throwing out ideas. I would expect Consentino's to consider delivery service to the building, especially if indoor access is provided to security desk.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too bad these will be small Hong Kong sized apartments, and not condo-sized. Will not attract the high income people needed to give movers and shakers a vested interest in DT.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^There are a lot of condo options downtown, including true warehouse lofts to Wallstreet Tower. But if they plan to convert this to condo someday, they may want to design it so that 2 units can be fairly easily combined to one.

BTW, what happened to the Downtown KC Org housing report... the link no longer works. Was a great list of most everything downtown.

http://www.downtownkc.org/life/where-to ... dos-lofts/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I doubt there will be any retail space in that building. As stated, it's a small footprint to begin with, and by the time you get a manager's office, elevators, emergency stairs, a front desk, a lobby, mailboxes, storage room for deliveries, utility room, garbage shoot, and garbage/recyling room, there's not much footage left. This is fine. Not every apartment building in New York City has retail in the base. I imagine the actual lobby will be quit small.

I hope the other three Cordish apartment towers will have room for added retail space at street level since they will have larger footprints. Hopefully, by the time they are built, the empty retail space that exists now will be filled.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yael: Hooray for KC's new downtown apartment projects
Ah, but what about that public subsidy of at least $8 million into the project in the Power & Light District, which already sucks up around $12 million to $15 million a year in taxpayer funds to pay off the bonds that made the revival of downtown possible?

First, it’s a small percentage of the overall project.

Second, taxpayer incentives - which I have often opposed or questioned for many projects - should be reserved for urban areas. That includes downtown, at least in certain cases. And bringing in new residential customers, overall, is a good thing.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

It always feel weird to agree with Yael. I'm very excited by this project. And I think the renderings look very clean. No wow-factor, but cool, soulless and modern in that Vancouvery style everybody shits for.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Heard on KCUR that the council approved this proposals incentives. It wasn't clear if it was full council or just committee.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:Heard on KCUR that the council approved this proposals incentives. It wasn't clear if it was full council or just committee.
probably passed out of committee. full council meets this afternoon.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It envisions building an additional 750 units at three different locations in the Power & Light District during the next eight to 10 years.
10 years is so long that I don't think you could call it a plan but hopefully the current one goes well enough that they accelerate the others.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Any activity on this? I don't trust cordish to build this till a tower crane is up.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Nothing on the ground yet. Reports at the time said they expected to break ground in a year...which would be this summer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kboish wrote:Nothing on the ground yet. Reports at the time said they expected to break ground in a year...which would be this summer.
Cool. Hope it happens. KC needs a new contruction residential tower. I think once one goes, more will follow.