One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
carnellmanning74
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by carnellmanning74 »

i was wondering when the new apartment building on 13th and walnut... i wonder if the jones pool will stop having party and loud music on the weekends and in the summer
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

As a former architectural photographer, that rendering makes me want to puke.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

carnellmanning74 wrote:i was wondering when the new apartment building on 13th and walnut... i wonder if the jones pool will stop having party and loud music on the weekends and in the summer
I've wondered this too. The conclusion I came to is that the Jones will become the pool for the apartment building. There is no way they could continue to blast music at the level they do with a tower full of people 50 feet away. I base this on nothing, of course, but it seemed the most logical outcome.

Welcome to the Forum! =D>
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

50 feet away? try 5 feet away.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

LCDSI wrote:fyi; here's an updated image of the proposed apartment tower on the architect website. Interesting that they have a name on the tower called one light. i'm wondering if cordish is setting this up to have multiple towers...(e.g. two light, three light) etc.

http://www.humphreys.com/portfolio/power-light/
In the original P+L renderings there were 5 buildings, if I recall correctly. I would hope they still plan on building 3 at the south edge of the district along Truman Rd as originally proposed. That said, after visiting STL this past weekend and seeing their downtown mall so active, I think the exact same type of space would be great for a cap over 670. It would be cool if there were 3 towers on both sides helping create a true downtown boulevard effect.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

carnellmanning74 wrote:i was wondering when the new apartment building on 13th and walnut... i wonder if the jones pool will stop having party and loud music on the weekends and in the summer
I thought that was one of the attractions of urban living, especially city living. "THE LIFE".
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I thought that was one of the attractions of urban living, especially city living. "THE LIFE".
I'm guessing this is sarcasm, but you forgot to put in a winky face. Here you go: ;-)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Yah, sorry about that. Could add a few more.

:P
:lol:
:D
:o
[-o<
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I believe the rendering shows an impossible view. It shows a view from what looks to be some sort of pedestrian plaza at the southwest corner of the parking garage. I don't think they will be cutting out a corner of the garage anytime soon. Also height maybe close to Block. Residential and hotel floors are usually around 10 feet, office 14 feet.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

It looks like they took some "artistic liberties" with the location of the parking garage to prevent the building from being obscured.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote:It looks like they took some "artistic liberties" with the location of the parking garage to prevent the building from being obscured.
Also those cars are driving on the wrong side of the road, watch out!
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Stockton wrote:
LCDSI wrote:fyi; here's an updated image of the proposed apartment tower on the architect website. Interesting that they have a name on the tower called one light. i'm wondering if cordish is setting this up to have multiple towers...(e.g. two light, three light) etc.

In the original P+L renderings there were 5 buildings, if I recall correctly. I would hope they still plan on building 3 at the south edge of the district along Truman Rd as originally proposed. That said, after visiting STL this past weekend and seeing their downtown mall so active, I think the exact same type of space would be great for a cap over 670. It would be cool if there were 3 towers on both sides helping create a true downtown boulevard effect.
Great point. It will be interesting to see how Cordish progresses (i.e. whether they start with the power and light building and OMNI hotel project, which was briefly alluded to in the sly interview in the star) or move to the three at the south edge of the district. Either way, I think it will hinge on how successful this new tower is.

In regards to the cap over 670, I completely agree that would make an amazing city park/boulevard effect but I'm not sure where the city would get the funds to cover that. Here's hoping to some rich developer footing the bill.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LCDSI wrote:
Stockton wrote:

Great point. It will be interesting to see how Cordish progresses (i.e. whether they start with the power and light building and OMNI hotel project, which was briefly alluded to in the sly interview in the star) or move to the three at the south edge of the district. Either way, I think it will hinge on how successful this new tower is.

In regards to the cap over 670, I completely agree that would make an amazing city park/boulevard effect but I'm not sure where the city would get the funds to cover that. Here's hoping to some rich developer footing the bill.
if the street car takes off modot can sell the air rights someday for new buildings. the whole sequence of 670 is slowly being covered over with buildings. Bartle Hall and then the ball room expansion.

I could see 670 making the perfect spot for some public parking garages down the line when additional need appears.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Stockton wrote:

I guess this answers the question:
During the next decade, Cordish plans to add another 750 units at three other locations in the Power & Light District, Cordish spokesman Nick Benjamin said recently. The sites include a surface lot adjacent to Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet theater, a site behind the Bristol restaurant and a site behind Bar Louie.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tment.html
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

LCDSI wrote:Does anyone know when work will start on this tower? I thought they would have broken ground by now.

here you go...
The developers of a 23-story apartment high-rise in the Kansas City Power & Light District are preparing for a final incentive hurdle prior to starting construction.

Representatives of Block 110 Residential LLC, a partnership affiliated with the Cordish Co., are scheduled to appear at an Aug. 13 meeting of Kansas City’s Planned Industrial Expansion Authority board. The board will consider a 25-year, 50 percent property tax abatement for the 250-unit apartment project, for which construction is scheduled to begin before the end of the year.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Pork Chop wrote:
Stockton wrote:

I guess this answers the question:
During the next decade, Cordish plans to add another 750 units at three other locations in the Power & Light District, Cordish spokesman Nick Benjamin said recently. The sites include a surface lot adjacent to Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet theater, a site behind the Bristol restaurant and a site behind Bar Louie.
Excellent. But I just remembered something I've wondered for a long time, and that is how the parking will work for the 3 buildings proposed for the southern edge.
Last edited by Stockton on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi everyone. We now have a date and the apartment tower will be taller!

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/13/44 ... round.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

So the Business Journal reported the new height on the 9th. (linked in post above this)

Now the Star reports that as breaking news on the 13th

new news-
incentives were approved for both buildings (old and new)
groundbreaking in December
311 units

this could mean ~400-500 new residents downtown. not too shabby
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

AWESOME NEWS! As the new tower approaches completion and pre-lease units are announced, I'm hoping the tower hits max occupancy before it even opens, thus spurring on the incentive to go foward with the additional 2 Light and 3 Light towers on the South side of P&L. Go KC go!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

It looks like the new rendering that was on the Humphrey's website last week has been replaced with the old one that appears in the latest KCStar article.

KCDowntown