All-Star game impact on P&L empty storefronts

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

All-Star game impact on P&L empty storefronts

Post by KCPowercat »

Does the upcoming All-Star game have any impact on filling up some storefronts? Probably a little late now to actually get something built isn't it?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: All-Star game impact on P&L empty storefronts

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:Does the upcoming All-Star game have any impact on filling up some storefronts? Probably a little late now to actually get something built isn't it?
Sure didn't have much impact on StL :).

I think most people will be impressed by the P&L district despite its vacancies and I'm sure they will probably also be busy taking in the Plaza, Crown Center etc.

I can't imagine a single event like the ASG having much impact on leasing at P&L. KC really needs a NHL or NBA team and those extra 40 nights a year of downtown activity to get more P&L tenants.

Till then it will probably be a slow process.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I can see some temporary pop-up places opening up. Then again, I can also see Cordish being short-sighted enough to not do that because they think that would hurt their chances of getting a long-term tenant.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:I can see some temporary pop-up places opening up. Then again, I can also see Cordish being short-sighted enough to not do that because they think that would hurt their chances of getting a long-term tenant.
Perhaps it is unfair to say this as I don't understand the cost of leasing something out vs. sitting on it for Cordish, but it appears that they would rather lose money for ten years than let someone get a good deal on rent today. I just don't understand this way of thinking when your main goal is to attract bodies to an area. Maybe they have such specific ideas about what needs to be here, they are just waiting for the chips to fall.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I guess my thought was finally pushing a tenant that may have been on the fence over the edge and signing. Like I said probably too late now to actually build out something.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:I guess my thought was finally pushing a tenant that may have been on the fence over the edge and signing. Like I said probably too late now to actually build out something.
If Alex Jones can do a pop-up restaurant in a matter of weeks, why couldn't some limited operation set up there, at least for the summer?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCMax wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I guess my thought was finally pushing a tenant that may have been on the fence over the edge and signing. Like I said probably too late now to actually build out something.
If Alex Jones can do a pop-up restaurant in a matter of weeks, why couldn't some limited operation set up there, at least for the summer?
Why not a pop-up MLB store for the weeks surrounding the ASG?

Cordish should get on this.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:
KCMax wrote:
Why not a pop-up MLB store for the weeks surrounding the ASG?

Cordish should get on this.
Great idea. Retail would be easier to setup temporarily than restaurants. The Plaza has lots of temporary seasonal stores - some of which have become permanent. Why does P&L seem so reluctant to do it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think a temporary all star game store is a given. Maybe a bad assumption on my part.

I was saying probably not enough time to build out a permanent store.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How about a "KC" store? One thing about KC is there are hardly any stores to get cheesy KC stuff, especially downtown. Or even a local sports teams store. I know Denver has a couple of touristy/sports stores on the 16th Street Mall. Seems like one would do ok in P&L and should do very well during tournements and ASG.
The one in crown center sucks. May as well call it the wizard of oz store.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Plaza and Crown Center both have one, but yea, it makes sense for P&L to have one for tourists. Kansas Sampler/Rally House has been expanding like crazy the last few years, you'd think they'd put something up in P&L and clean up during the Big 12 Tourney.