OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by longviewmo »

It looks like they're just going to close down that block every week for a night.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

tilted kilt franchisee looking to move out of JoCo and into "downtown or P&L"
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 56092.html
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

KCPowercat wrote:tilted kilt franchisee looking to move out of JoCo and into "downtown or P&L"
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 56092.html
Please no.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Huh? That is the epitome of a P&L type place. It's a perfect fit, and one more reason I'll never go there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Remember places like 100 West and The Observatory on the Plaza in the 70's that were quite similar. Was out of town once on a Sunday morning and a Hooter's had a nice buffet, attracted lots of families even with the typical waitress wardrobe. Don't know what is so special about downtown that it can't house a place like this. What's good for the burbs should be good for the city.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:What's good for the burbs should be good for the city.
Quote of the day.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Thanks. Just having some fun.
Why should us suburbanites only have places like this?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Yeah, I don't get the hate here. I can't believe one of these types of places hasn't already opened in P&L. What's worse about this than any other generi-corporate bar that already exists in the area?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Yeah, I don't get the hate here. I can't believe one of these types of places hasn't already opened in P&L. What's worse about this than any other generi-corporate bar that already exists in the area?
I've stopped trying to get it.

I see the bashing as a form of local sport (and a real negative statement especially about the business people who take part in it).

I'm certainly not the demographic that hit's the P&L, but I smile every time I go by the district.

Without that civic investment and without this plastic product and the broad appeal that it meets, I believe downtown would still be trying to get a foothold.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Having been a downtown resident for 5 years now I actually think this is the right fit for P&L. At the end of the day P&L is popular with people from grain valley, suburbanites coming down for a show after a long drive from Olathe, and other people from out of town who are here for a convention or other event. It really offers a familiar feel, in a place that is very unfamiliar to most people, which is good since those people will come back and spend their dollars. However, for people who live downtown, P&L is just somewhere we go when we have to, which means meeting up with parents, friends from out of town, or any other group you can throw in there, and usually we end up somewhere better. My dollars go to local places, Charisse is across the street, river market is a few blocks away, and other bars/restaurants that dot the Westside and Crossroads area get my money. I think this is all part of creating an atmosphere that can satisfy lots of different groups and ultimately bring all the types of people you need to downtown with the intention of supporting workers and businesses. I've noticed that my parents and their friends are venturing out to places like Novel, Charisse, Anton's, Green Lady Lounge, etc. as opposed to original meeting locations of Johnny's, The Dubliner, and Gordon Biersch. People who would have said 3 years ago I would never go downtown are now saying it would be nice to go down for a concert and then spend the night at a hotel. I really see the P&L district as a necessary means to another end.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Every downtown should perhaps have a mass appeal district, sort of a mini Times Square. It's just a slice of the larger pie that downtown can offer, something for everyone. Agree that lame-o themed restaurants have their place in such districts, but there is still something face palmy about artificially manufactured culture like kilt wearing servers.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote:Having been a downtown resident for 5 years now I actually think this is the right fit for P&L. At the end of the day P&L is popular with people from grain valley, suburbanites coming down for a show after a long drive from Olathe, and other people from out of town who are here for a convention or other event. It really offers a familiar feel, in a place that is very unfamiliar to most people, which is good since those people will come back and spend their dollars. However, for people who live downtown, P&L is just somewhere we go when we have to, which means meeting up with parents, friends from out of town, or any other group you can throw in there, and usually we end up somewhere better. My dollars go to local places, Charisse is across the street, river market is a few blocks away, and other bars/restaurants that dot the Westside and Crossroads area get my money. I think this is all part of creating an atmosphere that can satisfy lots of different groups and ultimately bring all the types of people you need to downtown with the intention of supporting workers and businesses. I've noticed that my parents and their friends are venturing out to places like Novel, Charisse, Anton's, Green Lady Lounge, etc. as opposed to original meeting locations of Johnny's, The Dubliner, and Gordon Biersch. People who would have said 3 years ago I would never go downtown are now saying it would be nice to go down for a concert and then spend the night at a hotel. I really see the P&L district as a necessary means to another end.
Well said.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm personally not a fan of the Tilted Kilt/Hooters experience no matter where it's located. Just fucking creepy. But it is only a half degree from some of the places already there, not to mention TNG and Bazookas. Conventioneers got needs man!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote:
ThorsteinVeblen wrote:Having been a downtown resident for 5 years now I actually think this is the right fit for P&L. At the end of the day P&L is popular with people from grain valley, suburbanites coming down for a show after a long drive from Olathe, and other people from out of town who are here for a convention or other event. It really offers a familiar feel, in a place that is very unfamiliar to most people, which is good since those people will come back and spend their dollars. However, for people who live downtown, P&L is just somewhere we go when we have to, which means meeting up with parents, friends from out of town, or any other group you can throw in there, and usually we end up somewhere better. My dollars go to local places, Charisse is across the street, river market is a few blocks away, and other bars/restaurants that dot the Westside and Crossroads area get my money. I think this is all part of creating an atmosphere that can satisfy lots of different groups and ultimately bring all the types of people you need to downtown with the intention of supporting workers and businesses. I've noticed that my parents and their friends are venturing out to places like Novel, Charisse, Anton's, Green Lady Lounge, etc. as opposed to original meeting locations of Johnny's, The Dubliner, and Gordon Biersch. People who would have said 3 years ago I would never go downtown are now saying it would be nice to go down for a concert and then spend the night at a hotel. I really see the P&L district as a necessary means to another end.
Well said.
Indeed and I think Tilted Kilt is not only a reasonable fit but could be the one place that draws people to the district on its own without a special event to attend at the Sprint Center (what the non existent HRC was supposed to be but never materialized). I have no idea how it was doing in Johnson County but it says something for downtown if they were doing reasonably well but saw DT as the better place to be. I agree with Grovester that the experience is a bit creepy for me (especially with food - alcohol maybe) but if it draws people to the district, that just helps lessen KC's financial commitment to the district. That said, I love Bristols and I like several of the other restaurants in the district so I am not going to disown it although I do prefer the Anton's, Novel's etc... when I am in KC.

And it could have been worse .... Twin Peaks :shock:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chains are expensive for the franchisee to start up.... Its a positive that those chains are now looking downtown. Not everything is everyone's cup of tea.

Cordish has done pretty well lately bringing in unique concepts. C&c, leine, no other pub, etc.

What if this went in the old dukes spot?
mykn

Post by mykn »

Guys, we just moved jobs from JoCo to downtown without incentives, big win :)

Edit: I used to work with a guy that loved these kind of places. He and his buddies would get away from their wives and go there. It always creeped me out when he talked about it (he wasn't being vulgar, just the image of it). It made perfect sense to me why it would be out in the burbs.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I knew Tilted Kilt would close, not many people really like them plus you have major competition from Twin Peaks which is probably more risque. They should open up a Tallywackers which is like the male version of Twin Peaks.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Well, if you are going to look at fully clothed, attractive people in skimpy outfits, you may as well do it with gross alcohol and traditional Irish jalapeno poppers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯