OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 516716.htm

$400M plan would include 650,000 sq. ft. of office space (H&R Block????), 425,000 sq. ft. of retail/restaurant space.

The entertainment area would go from 13th to 15th from Baltimore to Grand.

H&R supposed to announce by Monday where they want to go.

Construction could start as soon as fall 04 which would open first buildings in 06.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

I just tried to call Kevin Collison to see if he has seen any plans, he didn't answer. This is exciting but we have heard it before (P&L). I hope Block moves there and has a little city-within-a-city thing going on like Hallmark/Crown Center. Imagine if Block would build high-rise residential nearby too. That would be awesome. I could really imagine some highrise residential near the new Post Office project across from union Station.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fire up the streaming video and watch the council meeting via kcmo.org. Unfortunately I'll be out of the office when it takes place.

Yeah we have heard this before but with major backing of a Cordish type of developer with great history and a company like H&R to be the cornerstone of the office space, I feel much better about this.

plus the way DST & UMB have most of the property, makes it MUCH easier to get something done.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Definitely good news it's coming out into the open now, and they plan to save the Empire Theater and are willing to use the President Hotel if possible. This has a better chance of succeeding than the Power and Light District because the developer has a proven track record with these types of projects. The Centertainment people didn't have any experience and were really just a one-man operation.

The name Kansas City Live! isn't very inspiring, and I notice on the Cordish web site that they use "Whatever Live!" in other cities as well. But I supposed it isn't any lamer than SoLo.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tune into Channel 2 streaming here: http://www.kcmo.org/cco.nsf/web/videos?opendocument

3pm is meeting time

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMO needs to get the President Hotel deal done and quickly move forward on the arena or the KC Live project will still be surrounded by a lot of blight.

This is good news though. I wonder if when they speak of the Jones store block, they are talking about the NY firm's proposal?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid...I would bet it does....it's their land now.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Soo.....tenant guesses?

As much as I hate chains, some enjoy them and this would be the perfect location for them (outside of the plaza)......so that considered, my #1 choice would be ESPNzone.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KC wrote:Soo.....tenant guesses?

As much as I hate chains, some enjoy them and this would be the perfect location for them (outside of the plaza)......so that considered, my #1 choice would be ESPNzone.
I'd love to see a GameWorks in there.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

this might pull some potential speedway tenants downtown, ala HRC...you know how much i like to spread that rumour. House of Blues, etc. check out baltimore's inner harbor
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah, HoB wanted Empire theatre many years ago, I could easily see them going back there.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I was wondering, does anyone think they moved the 1034 Main project to the south loop? Because it equals 600,000 square feet.
Also, all I have to say, is if you have 425,000 square feet of retail space and if itll be like the plaza it would take up lots of area. With the arena and the retail the office building will have little space to build. I have estimated they would probably build from 20,000 square feet per floor to 40,000 which would be from 33 floors to 16 floors. And with even more office space coming later that means less area for the 650,000 square feet to be built.
Also, I found demensions of local blocks (about same size but not all the same) and its 396ftx130ft so thats 51,480 square feet of single floor.
My guess is that the retail will be single or double floor. Which would need 8 blocks of the same size. But if its 2 floors then it would need 4 blocks. Leaving half a block for the office space (198ftx130ft) which would have 25 floors. I just hope you all know that there is not enough block space to fit low rise retail and office space in the south loop (which my guess is from the P&L Building to the proposed arena)
Also, from 13th street to the highway and from Baltimore (or central?) to about Grand is zoned as URD (Urban Redevelopment)
If you include a 2 block arena in it then you only have 5.5 blocks to use. (unless you include P&L and the block south of it, then its 7 blocks)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

doubtful, different developers.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

whats doubtful?
i wasnt referring to H&R Block, just Kansas City Live

I just received a reply from Kevin Collision and he told me he wouldn't be surprised if we got both the Hard Rock Cafe and ESPN Zone! :) :cheers:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i certainly hope these things happen. i'll just throw this out there though:

i really hope that, even with this touristy sort of thing (a good thing, dont get it twisted) i really hope Barnes still focuses on the residential too. a healthy urban area can only be such with residents. part of the reason why the plaza is so strong is the thousands of apts and condos surrounding it.

i'd like to see developers put in more lofts, maybe small blocks of 8-10 rowhouses or 4-family flats. let's make sure we're getting the neighborhood businesses and residents in there first and foremost, and squeeze the tourist stuff in there second. we dont want a failed downtown entertainment center like that thing in minneapolis...i cant remember the name.

priorities: 1. residents. 2. businesses to support those residents. 3. entertainment and stuff to bring in tourists and suburbanites. i think those are the keys to KC's renaissance. throw a potential arena and the PAC in there and we are well on our way to making KC even more of a premier midwestern city.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Dammit, can't get rid of this erection!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chriz....I agree with the residents thing but I could see them not putting residential right in this area right away. It is ALL around this this area and hopefully there will be some things put in to support those residents.....2nd phase is supposed to include residential.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

with all the entertainment and retail going in, this plan might not include an arena, but it makes alot of sense an arena will come...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The 1034 Main project was never intended for H&R block and hopefully will resurface if/when the office market demands it downtown. But with the Waddell and Greed debacle, One KC Place will need to fill up first.

I think housing is going up in almost every corner of downtown. The only thing I worry about is the entertainment district would scare newcomers away because of how busy/tacky it might become.

HOB/Empire: I'm not sure HOB would come back to Kansas City because I think they burned bridges from when they were here as a concert promoter. They had some people working for them in Lawrence and the former employees said HOB's wasn't in tune with the Lawrence/KC music scene. These people are pretty big promoters in the fickle local music scene and would probably destroy HOB if they tried to come back.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

well, according to the owners of the 1034 Main site, Copaken, White and Blitt it is still active but is just waiting for a tenant.

Regarding the office "complex". It says there will be 1250 parking spaces underneath it, that means it will probably be one building. If they are looking for 25,000 square feet of space per floor that is still over 20 floors. The retail will restrict alot of area and the office space will have limited area.

What will KC be like with two plazas? :)

how about 2 of this:
Anyone think we will have lots of 12-15 floor buildings going in around the south look like at the plaza?
Like these buildings? (I am not gonna name them to save time ;))