OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcdcchef wrote: i must confess, i have never been to the 810 zone. it is nothing more than a copy cat of espn zone, just on the regional scale, from what i can tell. but what really bothers me about 810, and union broadcasting, is they had the chance to be bold and make a statement, and build their studios and restaurant in downtown 3 years ago, and they went to leawood. it really speaks volumes about them, and now they are wanting to come feed off the success, the same success they refused to help build.
Yeah, I think it's terrible that people turn their backs on city just to follow to cash or prestige. Where's the loyalty?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I vote local. Especially when it comes to a bland chain like ESPNZone. To me, they're the Cheescake Factory of sports bars, with worse food. Gimme 810Zone, even if it means I have to endure Kietzman.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

ESPN Zone

there actually could be a possiblitiy that the two places could team up, becuase 810 WHB is a company of ESPN, and then the tow of them could have a local sports area, like parts of the restuaraunt or in and then also in that part of the place they could have the normal parts, i think if they both teamed up together than it would be amazing.  But i would much rather have ESPN Zone than 810 Zone because it is cooler and it is a major touist trap.
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I vote local. Especially when it comes to a bland chain like ESPNZone. To me, they're the Cheescake Factory of sports bars, with worse food. Gimme 810Zone, even if it means I have to endure Kietzman.
the power and light district will FAIL if it is all local. tourists, conventioneers, out of towners, are going to stop at hard rocks, espn zones, and cheesecake factories before they even look twice at the 810zone, stouds, or our beloved barbecue joints.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think 810 can do a fine job of serving this function and may even be preferable from a local perspective since they can probably provide a little better focus on our own sports scene.  However, I don't think there is any doubt that ESPN would be a much bigger regional tourist draw, which would be preferable for P&L's success.  If you\ are a visitor from Des Moines or OKC, whats going to get you more stoked for a visit to KC, a trip to an ESPNZone?, or a trip to a sports bar run by radio station you probably don't even get back home?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

jj116533 wrote: becuase 810 WHB is a company of ESPN
not sure what you are thinking here, WHB is an ESPN radio affiliate, nothing more.  they are owned by Union Broadcasting, not Disney.

810 Zone is bland.  If it were a superior product, OK, but if they are both bland, we're better off with the one that'll bring people in.  810 Zone won't do that.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

lock&load wrote: not sure what you are thinking here, WHB is an ESPN radio affiliate, nothing more.  they are owned by Union Broadcasting, not Disney.

810 Zone is bland.  If it were a superior product, OK, but if they are both bland, we're better off with the one that'll bring people in.  810 Zone won't do that.
I agree.  Why clone a mediocre product?  The way I see it, one already exists in Johnson County so those people aren't going to visit it and out of towners won't even know what the hell it is so they probably won't show much interest in it either.  At least ESPN Zone is unique to the Kansas City area and is recognizable to visitors from outside the city.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Lets do an 810Zone but let me design it this time. I've got a list of improvements I'd like to make after doing Amerisports (Which I still think is better than any ESPN Zone or Damon's that I've been to).
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So, how do you really feel? ;).

I would much rather have an ESPN Zone.  810 is just too Johnson County.  Why not both?  Is there enough of a market for both?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: So, how do you really feel? ;).

I would much rather have an ESPN Zone.  810 is just too Johnson County.  Why not both?  Is there enough of a market for both?
not in p&l.  810 would flop in two days
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

i dont think so, i think that the wait for ESPN would be long, it always is (in NYC and Chicago) so then people would eat there and the go to ESPN for a cocktail and to play the games and watch TV
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: So, how do you really feel? ;).

So you'd prefer the national chain in the urban core and the local, independent option in a suburban strip mall? ;)
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Michael® wrote: It's really funny how all the suburban Kansans (and KU fans) on here are all for the 810 joke place instead of ESPN Zone.

I drove halfway to Wichita to the 810 joke because my work was hosting a party there for business. The place was plastered with Jaydork stuff. 810 joke is little more than a celebration of suburban KS wasteland jaydork sludge. It was hilarious seeing everything from KS on the walls and then they had the gall to put the Chiefs and Royals paraphernalia up too. I would have been happier had they had Denver's teams on the walls. MU and Missouri had no representation at all, no doubt in homage to the puke patronage that swim in jaydorkness while eating fried foods there.
Apparently you have no been to the 810 Zone in JOCO. They have a lot of stuff. Each case is to a different school/team. I think KU has 4 items at the one in JOCO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well I think if 810 did a space more like espnzone....2 levels, etc. then it would work...I don't think they would do that.

Tell you what, in all honesty I'd rather have the sports bar they have in downtown Wichita.  Can't remember what it's called, it's attached to the Warren theatre downtown.

It's called Oscars:

http://www.warrentheaters.com/oscars.asp

Where this picture is taken from there is a movie screen type screen surrounded by normal big screens.  A location here would need to seat at least 2x as many as the location pictured but it's a great theme.

Or can Brett open a real sports bar downtown....all I really want is a sports bar that gets every major sports package and cares about what they play....mix in some sports video games and you've got a great location.

I do think ESPNzone would be a major tourist trap and regional draw that this district needs.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Once P&L is finished and surrounding development gives a renewed urban fabric, I don't think it will matter as much if something is "inside" or "outside" the district itself.  I'd be fine with ESPNzone in a Cordish-owned building and 810 somewhere else in the loop. 

Eventually I don't think most people will distinguish P&L from Downtown itself, in the same way that most people have no idea where the "official" Highwoods-owned Plaza ends and the surrounding neighborhood begins.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: I do think ESPNzone would be a major tourist trap and regional draw that this district needs.
Not saying I am disagreeing with you but has there even been a profile of the typical conventioneer that comes to KC?
Walmart is one of the biggest conventions but that company gives little, if any, free time to those attending.  Afterall, it is a business meeting.
Some of the biggest conventions in recent years have been religious.  I am sure that many of the old ladies attending will go to KCLive.
And with the limited hotel rooms DT many of the large conventions have more attendees around Crown Center and the Plaza than DT.  Those attendees will probably stay close to where they are sleeping.

KCLive will be a challenge for Cordish.  It will probably be many years before the tenants stabilize. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tenant stabilization is always an issue in urban entertainment districts.  I see nothing special positive or negative happening here.

I'd like to think I'm downtown a little more than most.....I see more than little old ladies around downtown.  Just last week the annual kid convention (I don't know who it is so I call it that) was here and kids were everywhere looking for places to eat.  Any night that I am in a bar, I can point to 5 groups of out of town people (be it convention or business) that might instead inhabit a new entertainment district.

I'm not sure how religious groups factor into the success or failure of a restaurant/bar district....that seems a pretty stereotypical comment to make.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: Tenant stabilization is always an issue in urban entertainment districts.  I see nothing special positive or negative happening here.

I'd like to think I'm downtown a little more than most.....I see more than little old ladies around downtown.  Just last week the annual kid convention (I don't know who it is so I call it that) was here and kids were everywhere looking for places to eat.  Any night that I am in a bar, I can point to 5 groups of out of town people (be it convention or business) that might instead inhabit a new entertainment district.

I'm not sure how religious groups factor into the success or failure of a restaurant/bar district....that seems a pretty stereotypical comment to make.
It was some youth religious conference, actually.  It was on the marquee at the Muni and I googled it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

At least ESPN Zone is unique to the Kansas City area 

Not really, its a chain that is in most big cities in America.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag