OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by tat2kc »

Nobody has said that the Empire will be a movie theatre. Don't take rumors or conjecture on here for facts at all!!  :)  I think they are still planning a live venue for the Empire.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

WoodDraw wrote: If they are going to turn the Empire into a movie theater then it better be one hell of a movie theater.  It would be nice if AMC would make it a true flag ship, showoff theater for them instead of the same generic thing that is everywhere else. 

And does this mean that we probably won't be getting a HoB?  Wasn't that originally what was planned for the Empire?
Something like the Majestic at Zona Rosa would probably go over very well in the Empire...a hybrid of bar, restaurant, theatre, and live entertainment. Honestly, I think that's where all theatres are heading.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

moderne wrote:     woah, woah, woah, the Midland was built as the Loews Midland, a Motion Picture Palace.
Back when that meant something and such places weren't ubiquitous and generic.  A movie theater won't offer anything of a unique draw.  I'm cool with a downtown movie theater, but not in the place of a top-notch, gorgeous performing arts space.

I was just responding to the suggestion that it should be converted into an IMAX.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

AMC Entertainment is joining the Cordish Co. in a blockbuster plan to return movies to the Empire Theater and energize the Midland Theatre complex with live music and housing.
While the Midland has hosted Broadway plans and musicals, concerts, ballet performances and special events, Blake Cordish thinks his company can light it up much more often.

“The Midland is a historic gem, although we feel collectively it’s ripe to be revitalized and repositioned,â€
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

does anyone have any ideas on when there will be actual construction of buildings beginning in the etertainment district?  the heavy equipment moving around is fun, but I want to see actual building starting to go up!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

staubio wrote: Back when that meant something and such places weren't ubiquitous and generic.  A movie theater won't offer anything of a unique draw.  I'm cool with a downtown movie theater, but not in the place of a top-notch, gorgeous performing arts space.

I was just responding to the suggestion that it should be converted into an IMAX.

The Midland is a great place to see a concert, especially in the day and age of Sandstone (Verizon) and Kemper as concert venues.  Just because it used to be a movie theater doesn't mean it should be reverted just for the sake of historic preservation.
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

Long wrote:
The Midland is a great place to see a concert, especially in the day and age of Sandstone (Verizon) and Kemper as concert venues.  Just because it used to be a movie theater doesn't mean it should be reverted just for the sake of historic preservation.
I'd go so far as to say the Midland is the best place in KC to see a concert.  I didn't get the impression from anything I've read that they plan to show movies in the Midland.  It's just too large.  I think movies will only be shown in the Empire.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

an updated Midland would be a greater threat to the Uptown.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Tosspot wrote: Image
I was wondering when they are going to knock this SOB down. they have had bouldozers grading the same strip of dirt for a couple weeks now.....
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

About time they put some windows in that place!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yeah the windows really add something.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Michael® wrote: Yes! Let there be light!
And it was good.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Lucky Strike, described as a hip restaurant and lounge concept built around bowling, is rolling into the new downtown entertainment district.
“Cordish and their ability to create a district drew us,â€
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

What would you guys rather want: 810 Zone or ESPN Zone?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

DowntownBryan wrote: What would you guys rather want: 810 Zone or ESPN Zone?
We've already got 810.  They seem a better fit for the burbs anyway.

So make that ESPN.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

I know thats what I keep saying, but supposedly 810 is in the hunt for a spot in the P&L. In one way it would be pretty neat for visitors from out of town to come in and look at Kansas City Sports history both Professional and Collegiate. But ESPN Zone would be really sweet.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I would say ESPN zone because we already have an 810 zone. 810 zone seems like something that we only need one of in the city. now a national chain like ESPN zone would be a great addition to complement the NABC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If 810 could do a better job than they did with the Lewood location I might be ok with it....at first I wanted an espnzone even though it is a chain.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: If 810 could do a better job than they did with the Lewood location I might be ok with it....at first I wanted an espnzone even though it is a chain.
i must confess, i have never been to the 810 zone. it is nothing more than a copy cat of espn zone, just on the regional scale, from what i can tell. but what really bothers me about 810, and union broadcasting, is they had the chance to be bold and make a statement, and build their studios and restaurant in downtown 3 years ago, and they went to leawood. it really speaks volumes about them, and now they are wanting to come feed off the success, the same success they refused to help build.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D