OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by trailerkid »

Jess wrote: If you don't think that Cordish developments city to city are pretty interchangeable/cookie cutter essentially, there will be no swaying you.  I'm not arguing which are "better," and who'd kill to have who's canned mall/restaurant/bar venue....just saying that from what I've seen, they don't seem to have any especiallyl unique flavor city to city.   Cordish's own publicity page featuring its developments doesn't do much to argue this.

I suspect you disagree, but I'm just agreeing with the article that any local flavor is fairly lacking.
I GET what you're saying. What would you suggest they do/did differently beside saying they need to create local flavor in a tourist district? I think we have HUNDREDS of place with local flavor a short bus ride walk from the p+l...i don't see any problem in offering an attractive and sanitized part of downtown if anyone wants it.  

When people start realizing that the P+L district was mainly built for the purpose of generating new revenue, jobs, and activity in a completely dead part of the city; we'll be able to move on with our lives. Its intent wasn't to be the cultural/entertainment/dining capital for the Midwest and encompass everything KC in one package. IMHO, it compares very favorably to the Plaza already in terms of dining + nightlife. Like KC(P) said, the Plaza chains makes P+L look like W 39th.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I think the P+L is doing a very poor job of driving restaurant business from area suburbanites. All the marketing is aimed at a younger crowd, but places like Bice, 801, Ted's, etc definitely target an older set than Tengo or whatever. Lacking some of the big name Plaza restaurants definitely limits the appeal of P+L, but are they actively trying to get the non-party bar, suburban scene downtown for dining? They really have some unique dining offerings that should be just as busy as anything you'd find in Lee's Summit or on Barry Road.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

trailerkid wrote: ...but are they actively trying to get the non-party bar, suburban scene downtown for dining?
Nope, they (Cordish) are indeed failing at this aspect of running the entertainment district.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

While cordish isn't really marketing that angle, shouldn't that be up to the restaurants?  Bristol kills every night...801 for example has done a horrible job at marketing itself.  Its almost like they are cocky enough to believe people will flock to them....when actually very few in kc ever even heard of them.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

801 was poorly executed as well. They should have looked at Pierponts decor to see how that style of place is trimmed out. It's like they made shit tons of budget cuts and left it feeling warehousey. It's not cozy enough for what they're trying to be.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: While cordish isn't really marketing that angle, shouldn't that be up to the restaurants?  Bristol kills every night...801 for example has done a horrible job at marketing itself.  Its almost like they are cocky enough to believe people will flock to them....when actually very few in kc ever even heard of them.
I think this is a fair statement and maybe Cordish dropped the ball getting 801 + Bice Bistro which seem like dead weight so far. I don't see the P+L dining scene as being on the same level as the Plaza even though I think P+L is an overall better collection of nightlife/dining. The nightlife aspect overshadows any of the dining and it seems like the 14th Street area could be bustling if they better beefed up the dining reputation. 

Fogo, The Palm, Smith + Wollensky, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Fleming's are the types of names you need to bring some of the suburbanites in for a night out. I'm afraid some of the dining cornerstones have already been written off by locals (bice bistro, maker's, 801).
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It's too bad because 801 is actually really excellent.  The service is not the best, but they have some of the best steaks I've had in a while.  Their Sunday dinner deal is one of the best kept secrets around.  Steak, sides, and desert (salad too?) all for 30 bucks!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: It's too bad because 801 is actually really excellent.  The service is not the best, but they have some of the best steaks I've had in a while.  Their Sunday dinner deal is one of the best kept secrets around.  Steak, sides, and desert (salad too?) all for 30 bucks!
It still seems like a huge missed opportunity to me.  This city is crying out desperately for a local, flagship, high-end steak house.  All of our locals are putting out at best mediocre beef.  I really have to think that a Kansas City branded steakhouse that actually sold upper end of prime grade, dry aged beef, would clean up with locals and tourists alike. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: It's too bad because 801 is actually really excellent.  The service is not the best, but they have some of the best steaks I've had in a while.  Their Sunday dinner deal is one of the best kept secrets around.  Steak, sides, and desert (salad too?) all for 30 bucks!
the service should be excellent to stand out in a crowded landscape of upscale steakhouses.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: the service should be excellent to stand out in a crowded landscape of upscale steakhouses.
yes, it should.  It was not a matter of professionalism.  The servers are all seasoned and pretty attentive, but the two times I've been there it just seems like they have a strange attitude.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Johnny's Tavern opens tomorrow
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Stevens Out as Head of P & L District

KMBZ News has learned of a big change in the Power & Light District. Sources say Jon Stevens, president of the district has resigned to move to another company. The district has been plauged with public relations problems since it opened, including charges of racial discrimination. No word on why Stevens stepped down  
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting...wonder if any members here will chime in with details???

Plagued by by problems???  That might be a stretch....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Wow, KMBZ.  Uh, it's Stephens.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Per a story on the radio, the guy is leaving to start a new marketing/consulting venture...and will be working with Cordish on some ventures.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, it sounds like he is leaving Cordish on good terms.
KC is the way to be!
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

AllThingsKC wrote: So, it sounds like he is leaving Cordish on good terms.
Of course, that's according to his own press release.  Just sayin.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Uh, it was actually a joint release from Cordish as well.  Just sayin.
doc wrote: Of course, that's according to his own press release.  Just sayin.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCTigerFan wrote: Uh, it was actually a joint release from Cordish as well.  Just sayin.
Well, that leaves an opening.  Promotion for you in the works?