OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by AJoD »

What I found more notable in that piece:
The new amendment also got the city to concede on another couple of sore subjects.

First off, the city acknowledged it didn’t deliver the development site for the Power & Light District on time, something Cordish has maintained led to the later opening of the project than originally expected.

The city also affirmed that Cordish never made any promises about the development or lease-up schedule of the entertainment district, or projected tenant sales and tax revenues.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Seems like a lot of concessions to Cordish without much in return for the city, which has been pretty much par for the course for the city council, past and present.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Sounds like Cordish has smarter attorneys.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote: $2 parking fee dispute resolved between KC, Cordish

The long standoff has ended between Cordish Co. and the city over the $2 parking fee the developer has been charging at the Power & Light District.

Cordish not only gets to keep collecting the fee that rankled City Manager Wayne Cauthen, but a new amendment to the master development agreement will allow the Baltimore developer to raise it from “time to time.”....

But the $2 charge on validated tickets will remain in place on evenings and weekends at both those garages as well as the 600 spaces below the H&R Block building. The H&R Block garage is open to the public after 6 p.m. on weekdays, and after noon on Saturdays and all day Sundays.

The city also won the right to charge $10 for 500 spaces in the garage beneath the Kansas City Live block for events at the Sprint Center.
I'm going to assume it's still free for those going to the grocery store?  That would be idiotic if they changed that
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm going to assume it's still free for those going to the grocery store?  That would be idiotic if they changed that
Yeah - I suspect that is probably part of Consentino's lease with Cordish.  They probably demanded a certain quantity of guaranteed free parking access as part of the deal. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I assume, just reading the story that's what came to mind.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Bice

Post by ignatius »

I walked in there a few days ago with a friend visiting from outa town just to see the rooftop.  Does have nice views.  There was live music going on.

I might have to eat my words that P&L may not survive unless there are events.  We were there Tue evening around 7pm or so and I don't think there were any events.  The streets were mildly but consistently busy with foot traffic and most of the restaurants were well more than half full.  Not bad for a Tue on a non-event night.  It definitely did not feel dead.  Friend from Jersey didn't mention anything to the effect that it felt slow and understood the empty storefronts given they're new combined with state of economy.  BTW, he was blown away by Consentino's and wanted to eat there, so we did.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Well doesn't downtown actually have a good number of residents by now?  (RM, Loop, Crossroads).  I mean, we can always use more, but aren't there enough to support these kinds of places?  This is their neighborhood, where they go for groceries, food, bars etc. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Midtownkid wrote: Well doesn't downtown actually have a good number of residents by now?  (RM, Loop, Crossroads).  I mean, we can always use more, but aren't there enough to support these kinds of places?  This is their neighborhood, where they go for groceries, food, bars etc. 
Currently, there are roughly 18,000 residents, river  to 31st.  "Experts" state that we need 35,000 to 40,000 to be a self-supporting, 24 hr., downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the rooftop lounge officially opens this weekend.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I'm assuming that the P&L district construction is pretty much complete.  That got me thinking, what was the final price tag to build the P&L district?
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

loftguy wrote: Currently, there are roughly 18,000 residents, river  to 31st.  "Experts" state that we need 35,000 to 40,000 to be a self-supporting, 24 hr., downtown.
How recent and accurate is that estimate?  I've seen it before as a number from 3-4 years ago (or am I mistaken?).  I would gather that a lot more people have moved DT over the past 1-2 years.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cityscape wrote:I'm assuming that the P&L district construction is pretty much complete.
not until the NW corner of 13th/walnut is paved or filled in. so i assume it looks the way it does out of protest?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

DaveKCMO wrote: not until the NW corner of 13th/walnut is paved or filled in. so i assume it looks the way it does out of protest?
Also, the NE corner of 13th/Grand.  The surface lot where Danny Edwards BBQ is located.  And the condo towers of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Danny edwards space isn't connected to the p&l

The condo lot is what dave was referencing I think.

drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

KCPowercat wrote: Danny edwards space isn't connected to the p&l

The condo lot is what dave was referencing I think.
So am I justified in feeling that Danny Edwards being forced out was even more unjust now that his space is just sitting there empty? I'd imagine that he'd have done some good business there for the past couple of years, and would be doing quite well currently.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That was a CWB proposal for an office tower...and yes it smelled than and now. The wig shop fought them off.

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Yes, it should not have happened.  It was CWB not P&L. 
drumatix wrote: So am I justified in feeling that Danny Edwards being forced out was even more unjust now that his space is just sitting there empty? I'd imagine that he'd have done some good business there for the past couple of years, and would be doing quite well currently.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

18,000 is still reasonably accurate.  It hasn't shifted much from previous estimates.  The new apartments on 2nd street will add somethign like 300 units.  Downtown can survive and even grow with this resident population as long as events, tourists etc. fill places.  However, I agreee with the "experts" that DT needs 35,000 or more to truly be a sustainable and viable 24/7 neighborhood. 

coreyo wrote: How recent and accurate is that estimate?  I've seen it before as a number from 3-4 years ago (or am I mistaken?).  I would gather that a lot more people have moved DT over the past 1-2 years.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Danny has been quoted several times about how happy he is about the way things turned out and how much better business is for him on the Boulevard. 

Never cared that much for his q, but good for him.