Raglan Road eviction, new Famous Dave's tenant, KC Hopps to P&L

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Raglan Road eviction, new Famous Dave's tenant, KC Hopps to P&L

Post by elextendo »

I have space they can rent for half the amount.
P&L Free since 2008
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The amount doesn't matter if they don't pay :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Highlander wrote: Agreed, the myriad of arbitrary laws per city, county and state is among the dumbest things I've seen in America...particularly the law stating that brewers cannot open restaurants.  I do not see what is stopping them from having a proxy restaurant where they lease the name to an independent owner who in turn champions their products.      
I've talked to a few folks at Boulevard and, from what I understand, they have zero interest in ever going down the road of Brewpub/restaurant operation (regardless of the laws). Lots of independent bar owners champion their products now - they seem comfortable with this. Plus, they would end up being in competition with all of their local champions if they did do this.

Sucks about Raglan - the food wasn't good, but I thought they did a very nice job on the inside. For such a HUGE space, it really had a nice feel. With that said, I only went in there twice - so I wasn't helping them with the rent.....
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

wow, this sucks, that place was good, food was good, entertainment was good, the building was really neat and high quality and the location is high profile.

bummer.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I think Raglan was really hurt by its location.  As much as I am happy for it to have come in at all, I think that many of the same people who would frequent that type of place were put off by the crowds in the Live! block.  Flying Saucer in that corner could have had a similar problem, but since it is not attached to the courtyard, I think it makes a big difference.  Hopefully, they don't get rid of anything on the interior, and I'd love it if the pub area could actually be used as such instead of being closed all the time.  It would be smart to split it into two different places, esp. if the pub was just simple, affordable fish and chips, pies, and bangers and mash with good English/Irish beer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Keep the north half of raglan, turn the big hall area inti a German style beer hall.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Keep the north half of raglan, turn the big hall area inti a German style beer hall.
Wow, that's a great idea!  Make it a Hoffbrauhaus.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Um, $49,000 a month???

I know it's already a dead issue but that is absolutely ridiculous. 

Mind you, that figure probably doesn't include taxes, insurance, and CAM charges. 

I'd love to see an OK Joe's in the PNL along with a great nightclub.  KC's nightclub options are extremely weak.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: Keep the north half of raglan, turn the big hall area inti a German style beer hall.
That is a seriously awesome idea.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wow, that's a great idea!  Make it a Hoffbrauhaus.
A chain people could get behind. Franchise!
http://www.hofbrauhaus.us/content/?c=44&PHPSESSID=
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I dunno, looks like a bunch of generic lagers. I'd take it, I guess, but I'd rather see something else.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: Yeah, I dunno, looks like a bunch of generic lagers. I'd take it, I guess, but I'd rather see something else.
Are you kidding? Hofbrau would be awesome! It would be a lot easier for me to mosey down to P&L to get some mild German ambience than to head to Munich for the weekend. Although, Grunauer does fit this mold--and serve Hofbrau beer.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote: Are you kidding? Hofbrau would be awesome! It would be a lot easier for me to mosey down to P&L to get some mild German ambience than to head to Munich for the weekend. Although, Grunauer does fit this mold--and serve Hofbrau beer.
I love Grunauers, but it would be fun to have a true beerhall atmosphere with the long shared tables, waitresses carrying mugs, bratwurst and other German beerhall specialties (pretzels in baskets on the table), and, of course, an umpah band.  It would help to have Bavarian decor as well.  The concept might clash with the plastic beer glass atmosphere in the actual public area outside. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: I love Grunauers, but it would be fun to have a true beerhall atmosphere with the long shared tables, waitresses carrying mugs, bratwurst and other German beerhall specialties (pretzels in baskets on the table), and, of course, an umpah band.  It would help to have Bavarian decor as well.   The concept might clash with the plastic beer glass atmosphere in the actual public area outside. 
Eh, unlikely to clash anymore than Raglan Road's pub atmosphere. I suspect a Hofbrau would go over quite big here with our love of beer and all.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not sold on this one particular chain of German beerhall but the overall concept seems to fit perfect.

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I think Hofbrauhaus would be a slam dunk in that space, though I've never seen how any in the US are executed.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

smh wrote: Are you kidding? Hofbrau would be awesome! It would be a lot easier for me to mosey down to P&L to get some mild German ambience than to head to Munich for the weekend. Although, Grunauer does fit this mold--and serve Hofbrau beer.
I support it if we can execute a Hasselhoffbrauhaus concept.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Keep your scanners peeled.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote: Yes! If you're going to do German kitsch, you might as well do it right.
I looked up their menu.  It seems to be an Americanized chainsy version of German food (German nachos?).  What struck me was the NINE dollars for a giant pretzl.  Bread, salt & mustard for 9 bucks.  Still, the atmosphere seemed kind of cool and there was enough true Germanic food on the menu to be of interest.  Just for future reference, when in Munich I would recommend the Augustiner Keller for a bierhall long before the far more touristy Hofbrauhaus.