Is the P&L District underwhelming? 100% serious question

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Is the P&L District underwhelming? 100% serious question

Post by KCPowercat »

Search Twitter for "Power Light District"....10 to 1 positive tweets.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Search Twitter for "Power Light District"....10 to 1 positive tweets.
Indeed. Here are two highlights:
hoodhappenings: The skanks are out tonight. This makes me happy. (@ Kansas City Power & Light District w/ 6 others)
Awesome.

But honestly, this one really goes more to your point:
StephenBright "doing" power & light district for first time tonight (@luckystrike). Who knew a bowling alley could be this cool?
I agree with another tweet that KC Live should avoid playing so much country--it fulfills the out-of-towners' stereotype of us. Not that I care too much about that, but still. For the record (and wildly off topic) I also hate Garth Brooks at Kauffman.  :?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

smh wrote: I agree with another tweet that KC Live should avoid playing so much country--it fulfills the out-of-towners' stereotype of us. Not that I care too much about that, but still. For the record (and wildly off topic) I also hate Garth Brooks at Kauffman.   :?
Seconded.  The Kauffman Garth Brooks crap is ridiculous and needs to be stopped.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I've been to 8 Royals games so far this season, & it seems like the whole Garth bit gets less of a response from the crowd each time. Let's hope it goes bye-bye sooner than later.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Trying to force a tradition always sucks.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

It's annoying because KC is NOT, and has never been known for country music. In music our history looks a lot more like Chicago than Oklahoma City (obvious statement).
Then again, its not like I'm expected them to play Bebop or the blues at the Live Block.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^What's odd though is that even many KC locals born here have been convinced KC has a country/cowboy tradition via power of suggestion of outside media.  It never happened.  Jazz/blues came out of KC, country music _never_ did any more than Chicago.  Looking at old pics of KC in the 1800s and in stockyards, (like Chicago stockyards) they were blue collar workers in blue collar garb, _no one_ dressed as cowboys. 

Country music is still popular today everywhere so it's no surprise you'd find it in KC to the same degree, but it's inappropriately profiled in P&L Live as if a KC signature with that obnoxiously huge bar sign.  It needs to go.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Seconded.  The Kauffman Garth Brooks crap is ridiculous and needs to be stopped.
I've been saying that since day one, but of course, I'm crucified for such thoughts...

KC can do better than that.

Also, I can't wait for the cowboy sign at the P&L district to come down.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Get over your anti-country rants. You sound like idiots.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Get over your anti-country rants. You sound like idiots.
Its all part of the culture war - CountryPop music will continue its commercial invasion as long as it stays fashionable to focus your life around hating intellectuals, immigrants, muslims, gays, brown people . . . its all culturally intertwined.  Yee Haw!
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

NDTeve wrote: Get over your anti-country rants. You sound like idiots.

Criticizing others for exercising their constitutional right to free speech?

Why do you people HATE America???
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Its all part of the culture war - CountryPop music will continue its commercial invasion as long as it stays fashionable to focus your life around hating intellectuals, immigrants, muslims, gays, brown people . . . its all culturally intertwined.  Yee Haw!
Well, I'm not sure about any of this, but I do know that Country music is the largest, fastest growing music genre at this point.  The fact is that a ton of people like this shit and pay big $$$ to see the shows.  And its not urbane to the midwest.  It's a nationwide - worldwide - phenomenon.   

http://www.pollstarpro.com/specialfeatu ... 0Tours.pdf.

This list is littered with country acts:  Tim McGraw, George Strait, Reba McEntyre, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Brooks & Dunn, Rascal Flatts, etc. 

So, while Kansas City will/should always be known as a Jazz town, Cordish and P&L are in the business of making $$$, not preserving history.  A free Jazz concert every once in a while is great, but in 2010 it simply doesn't generate $$$ like country music.  Hence, Cordish is heavy on country.  There has been plenty of rock down there as well, FYI.       
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Hip Hop is big market as well, but Cordish doesn't exactly embrace that (not even at the live thing in Baltimore).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

god, who cares? 

yes, anyone with the preconceived notion that KC is a "cowtown" will truly have their ideas shattered when they go to the P+L and look around and see dudes in cargo shorts, Affliction t-shirts, FOX racing hats, etc. as well as chicks stumbling up the stairs on 4-inch stilletos while carrying enormous Coach purses.  god forbid anyone mistake these people for "country" folk!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

MoMan wrote:

Criticizing others for exercising their constitutional right to free speech?

Why do you people HATE America???
:lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Heading back closer to topic: Has anyone been to Elements in P&L? I only recently heard about it, haven't been myself, though I have definitely walked by here on my way to Chefburger and Chipotle. I sort of thought it was just an event space...apparently I was mistaken. Could this possibly be a place for the older (wiser, more laid back) set?

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/in ... &venueID=9
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

smh wrote: Heading back closer to topic: Has anyone been to Elements in P&L? I only recently heard about it, haven't been myself, though I have definitely walked by here on my way to Chefburger and Chipotle. I sort of thought it was just an event space...apparently I was mistaken. Could this possibly be a place for the older (wiser, more laid back) set?

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/in ... &venueID=9
it's actually a very nice public space. i've been there a couple times in the day and in the evening and there's only been a small handful of people there. i give them effort for trying, but it'd be a lot better if it was more like an outdoor coffee and wine bar opposed to a generic bar ran by Cordish.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Go to that link and click on "Visit Website" for Elements.  Nice.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

^ Ha!  That must have been part of the deal to get Famous Dave's reopen!  &&  :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

100% NOT underwhelming restaurant interior:

Red O
8155 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles
Tel: 323-655-5009
Designer: Gulla Jonsdottir Design