Whats the missing piece to the P&L puzzle?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Whats the missing piece to the P&L puzzle?

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Well Splash, that was the very point of my question. The addition of what tenant do you think would change people's perspective of the P&L as a place MORE than just a place to get drunk...
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

Pretty much others answered the way I would have.  Bookstore, coffee shop, stores that are unique to the area or at least aren't found in every strip mall in town.  Not sure if a place like this currently exists there, but maybe a low key pub/bar or a pool hall type place.  I haven't been in the bowling alley there, so they might have pool tables, I don't know. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rainy day and latteland could team up for a local version of the borders/B&N-starbucks juggernaut, perhaps in the "retail alley" between baltimore and main. a pool hall is an excellent idea... haven't we established that KC doesn't really have a proper pool hall?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree with many of the earlier suggestions - bookstore, coffee shop. I'd add Target. That, coupled with the grocery store would probably induce people to actually live downtown.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have mixed feelings on a 'target' type store.  Personally I never go to those stores but maybe once every other month....cvs and the grocery store fill those demands nicely.

a bookstore would be a great addition and I don't even use them very often.  More retail which will come after things turn around a bit.  Something like a banana or gap would really add mass appeal.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I'm probably gonna get run out of here for saying this but I think that we need a chain tenant like House Of Blues, Hard Rock Cafe or ESPN Zone because whenever I go out of town or my friends go out of town, we always end up at one of those spots due to the fact that we don't have one...  Like it or not, it would draw people downtown just due to the fact that the Legends and Zona Rosa don't have them.  People from all over the metro would eat it up.

And yes, we need a major affordable condo project to get off of the ground.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Has anyone else noticed kctigerfan's extended absence?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kctf doesn't have the insight they once did.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: rainy day and latteland could team up for a local version of the borders/B&N-starbucks juggernaut, perhaps in the "retail alley" between baltimore and main. a pool hall is an excellent idea... haven't we established that KC doesn't really have a proper pool hall?
I am afraid the physical structures don't support a successful bookstore.  Nowadays people want size and volume of selection.  None of the retail spaces were built to be very large and I suspect anything on the scale of a walden books with a coffee shop tacked on will be out of business in six months. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

esp. since both borders and B+N are having problems themselves.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i wouldn't count on an urban target store any time soon...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I am afraid the physical structures don't support a successful bookstore.  Nowadays people want size and volume of selection.  None of the retail spaces were built to be very large and I suspect anything on the scale of a walden books with a coffee shop tacked on will be out of business in six months. 
The southwest corner of 13th and Main has the vertical space for two stories and extends back half the block. I think it could offer a selection similar to what is on the Plaza, though it lacks the basement music space.

I'd love to see something like a Best Buy, with small electronics, CDs, DVDs and video games.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The smallish bookstore at 4th St Live seemed to be doing good business when I was last there.
Tunnel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Tunnel »

I think the surface lots around 8th and Wyandotte would be better for an urban Target than the P&L area.  The easy highway access up there would give it a pretty large catchment area (dt KCK, North KC, etc).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

just building out the retail block into a browsable "district" is the biggest missing piece.
zafar boutique/salon
garment district
jos a bank
irezumi (still coming?)
polished edge
t-mobile
gnc
sprint studio 

+
>cosmetics beauty supply (something that carries more high end product...beauty brands, sephora, mac or a local cosmetics assortment)

>"hip" local t-shirts, gifts + stationary (maybe like bunker X hobbs lawrence X urban outfitters with kc spin) 

>shoe + accessories store (chain or local, affordable or designer, something with unique footwear targeting women)

>modern home furnishings + decor (the more affordable the better)

>lingerie or sleepwear (move crown center victoria's secret to the loop)
moderne wrote: The smallish bookstore at 4th St Live seemed to be doing good business when I was last there.
it has been alluded to previously that cordish may/may not be subsidizing that bookstore and that location may/may not be profitable.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

At this point I'm not going to be too picky, I just want some form of retail.  Anything that will help build up the surrounding area and give people an actual reason to get out and walk the streets.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

im2kull wrote: At this point I'm not going to be too picky, I just want some form of retail.  Anything that will help build up the surrounding area and give people an actual reason to get out and walk the streets.

Cosign. Fill the space in with stuff that gets women walking around and browsing in the daylight...that's enough right now. It seems like Cordish is overall on the right track and isn't doing Cricket Wireless or Payless Shoes. The less boring chains...the better.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

All the place needs is a white castle to finish it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLeKjsGe ... re=related
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

in my opinion, it's going to take a large anchor tenant to get the ball really rolling. I think a book store is the most realistic for the space, personally. Simply saying that we need more stuff kind of misses the point.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: in my opinion, it's going to take a large anchor tenant to get the ball really rolling. I think a book store is the most realistic for the space, personally. Simply saying that we need more stuff kind of misses the point.
actually, saying we just need "more stuff" is the point entirely. "more stuff" equals a critical mass of retail-- what the P+L has needed since day one to generate foot traffic in the day and weekends. looking at the restaurant/nightclub offerings it's pretty clear the aim is for the middle and it really doesn't matter what locals think.  the original intention was kate spade, apple, panache, etc.; but it seems that fell through and they decided to go for locals. stocking a dozen quality, small businesses with a few chains peppered in is the missing piece. this is working in many suburban shopping centers in kc across the nation.

cordish had a relationship with borders in their louisville project and apparently now they don't. the chances of a big box bookstore happening are probably 50 to 1 and the book industry may go the way of the music industry within the next few years.

there are a number of other sites downtown for expanded big box or upscale retail. adding more retail in these places (19/main, grand, quality hill, east village to name a few) might be better than having expectations for cordish to turn water to wine. cordish is doing what they do.