Whats the missing piece to the P&L puzzle?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Whats the missing piece to the P&L puzzle?

Post by ignatius »

trailerkid wrote: and the book industry may go the way of the music industry within the next few years.
Agree with this... Netflix, streaming video and VOD killed the video store.  Music downloads killed the record store.  Online booksellers and possibly ebook readers will soon kill the brick and mortar bookstore.  

Will future 'progress' in internet social networking eventually kill entertainment districts?

I remember the cyberpunk movement in the 80s (I was kinda into it), which were geeks prematurely trying to live in a digital only world.  Physical contact with the outside carbon-based world was ideally by choice, not necessity.   That is not only becoming more of an attainable reality, the masses are slowly adopting to it.  Digital living will eventually become more practical and possibly more satisfying to future generations than going out to do things... sad but true.  Especially when we eventually (and we will) connect computers directly to our brains.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i meant the point of my intention for the thread. the question i asked was what one store (or type of store) would get the ball rolling in further development.

you can't answer "a bunch of stuff" to a question of "What ONE tenant would get the ball rolling"?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i meant the point of my intention for the thread. the question i asked was what one store (or type of store) would get the ball rolling in further development.

you can't answer "a bunch of stuff" to a question of "What ONE tenant would get the ball rolling"?
there isn't one tenant that is the missing piece. the answer is a cluster of small, independent boutiques and local specialty stores like what's happened in places like mission farms, park place, briarcliff, zona rosa phase ii. relying on a singular chain tenant to somehow prop up the entire area isn't a good direction.

and the retail ball IS already rolling with the node around polished edge, zafar, garment district. like i stated 15 posts ago...add some home decor, beauty/cosmetics store, lingerie, a hip KC gifts store, and a couple more interesting, mainstream apparel stores and you're done. the crossroads and river market are the areas people need to worry about getting the ball rolling in terms of retail.
Synergy (from the Greek syn-ergos, συνεργός meaning working together) is the term used to describe a situation where different entities cooperate advantageously for a final outcome. Simply defined, it means that the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. Although the whole will be greater than each individual part, this is not the concept of synergy. If used in a business application it means that teamwork will produce an overall better result than if each person was working toward the same goal individually.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I'm not disagreeing that there needs to be a variety of services offered. I do disagree with the idea that the ball is rolling. Jos A Banks opened in February and by next March we'll have a grand total of 4 retail stores, 5 if you count a grocery store. That's a damn slow pace.

It would take a miracle of coordination to open up the variety of stores that you mention all at the exact same time. I think a more realistic approach would be for them to open in a succession, where one place would open before the others. If we just roll with that idea, that sometimes places open before others, what tenant would you want to come first because it would have the greatest impact on the area and be the most likely to drive business?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: I'm not disagreeing that there needs to be a variety of services offered. I do disagree with the idea that the ball is rolling. Jos A Banks opened in February and by next March we'll have a grand total of 4 retail stores, 5 if you count a grocery store. That's a damn slow pace.

It would take a miracle of coordination to open up the variety of stores that you mention all at the exact same time. I think a more realistic approach would be for them to open in a succession, where one place would open before the others. If we just roll with that idea, that sometimes places open before others, what tenant would you want to come first because it would have the greatest impact on the area and be the most likely to drive business?
i don't see any reason why 3-4 shops couldn't open within a few weeks of each other. it just happened with the restaurants the mixx, fran's, zafar, kobe, pizza bar and a restaurant is usually more work to put together than a retail store. just having a selection of mediocre retail shops is enough...i'm not expecting any homeruns at this point and, again, i don't think it's even necessary to have a "draw" at all.