Downtown park off-limits due to no bathroom

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Downtown park off-limits due to no bathroom

Post by KCMax »

I understand the rationale for this ordinance, but the city needs to stop being so damn rigid about things. A porta-potty would have destroyed the aesthetics? Really?

Restful park off limits without a restroom
It's an inviting downtown oasis, a half-acre of lush grass, benches and trees atop the new parking garage at 13th and Main streets where the Jones Store once stood.

Apparently for lack of a toilet, the new park has been off limits to the public all year and probably won't be open until next spring. That is, if the city and the Cordish Co. can get past another in a series of skirmishes that are beginning to make both look silly.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown park off-limits due to no bathroom

Post by ComandanteCero »

does Ilus Davis have a public restroom?  Does Case Park?  i've never been in a need for a restroom while around there so i haven't bothered looking, i don't think Washington Square has one....  I could be completely wrong on all counts.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I can attest to seeing homeless use trees in all those parks you mentioned Commandante. This park has no trees wherein lies the problem.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Few parks have restrooms. I'm guess the concern here is having park patrons rushing the bathrooms at P&L establishments.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: Few parks have restrooms. I'm guess the concern here is having park patrons rushing the bathrooms at P&L establishments.
Yeah - I have to think that part of this problem must be that it is not at street level - having a public space essentially in the middle of a not-so public building must raise some questions.

Of course if the stair tower is fine for the pool patrons to puke in than it ought to be plenty fine for folks to piss in as well.    :shock:
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I have seen in europe self-cleaning units?
P&L Free since 2008
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

elextendo wrote: I have seen in europe self-cleaning units?
SF has them too.  The price on one of those things probably exceeds the KC Parks Dept. total annual budget. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: SF has them too.  The price on one of those things probably exceeds the KC Parks Dept. total annual budget. 
Considering I've seen one in Detroit, I'm guessing we could find a way to afford one.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Just looking on the net, it seems like they run for about $100k each. Seattle spent a million bucks apiece on there toilets though, and sold them on ebay for $89k after problems with prostitution and drug use in them.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

staubio wrote: Considering I've seen one in Detroit, I'm guessing we could find a way to afford one.
KCMax, this is something else entirely.

Complete, commercial quality, self composting toilets retail for under $900.  This would seem to be an intuitive answer for a green roof.

You can make the enclosure whatever you want.  

Handwashing?  There are many more sanitary and cost effective solutions other than running traditional plumbing.

Where's the innovation and creativity guys?  Stop waiting for "the answer" and do something!!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Complete, commercial quality, self composting toilets retail for under $900.  
Yeah but does your self-composting toilet fold up into the wall and sanitize itself after Joe the Bum takes a sloppy beer shit all over the seat?  The swanky ones in SF and Seattle do. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Mill Creek Park, one of the most used parks in the City, has no restroom or portapotty.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: SF has them too.  The price on one of those things probably exceeds the KC Parks Dept. total annual budget. 
I think that SF got them for free in exchange for allowing the company to put up 'European' style advertising kiosks.  You get x amount of minutes for a quarter before the cleaning mechanism come on.  Plenty of time for a fix.  Actually, I have never seen anyone use one.  I think they are a bit creepy.

Besides, how would you know it's spring without grass coming up, flowers blooming, and the smell of urine in the air?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mlind wrote: Besides, how would you know it's spring without grass coming up, flowers blooming, and the smell of urine in the air?
Har!

True urbanite, her.
kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

When is this park going to open?  I watched them build the bathroom over the winter and it looks complete - at least no more work has been done on it lately.  But I tried the stairs on the east side today and the door to the park level is locked.