Long-term prognosis of Power and Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Long-term prognosis of Power and Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

Hotel/Condo don't need to be built on land blessed as "P&L district" for the district to survive.  As demand warrants, they will be built downtown and still help the P&L.  Nobody can predict exactly which parcel of land will get developed right now....yes more condos and apartments will be built downtown.  Yes new hotels will be built downtown.  I couldn't care less which exact portion of land they will be build on.

Retail will come as the economy improves.  1/2 here will bitch about it.

Live block will continue to rotate in themes as tastes change for the new batch of party kids...that's the benefit of having cordish run it....they can switch concepts and not be stuck in an old concept that doesn't work (which has hurt Westport in the past, a concept hanging around a biiiiit too long).  Cordish gets how to run an entertainment area. 

I'm not going to predict "how" successful things will be, that's idiotic...it will continue to be successful and work downtown with amenities like the best grocer in the city and the best movie theater in the city.  It will spin off development.  the place has been open in full force for about 18 months now.....at this point the CCP would have been declared a "failure" by this site's members...give the thing time to grow up.

My comments earlier pointed to the long term prognosis...how it's being ingrained as a major entertainment area so young in it's life points to it being around long term....I'll connect the dots more clearly for you next time.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Now don't get too touchy right now but here goes.

OK, so the hotel/condo's don't get built in the P&L, fine.  I believe areas have already been identified for these structures so what gets built in their place?  Or does Cordish just bank the land and control development much like Durwood did for decades?

And which posts in "this" thread "pointed to the long term prognosis...how it's being ingrained as a major entertainment area so young in it's life points to it being around long term..."?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Now Now Children.

:D
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
OK, so the hotel/condo's don't get built in the P&L, fine.  I believe areas have already been identified for these structures so what gets built in their place?
aknowledgeableperson wrote: OK, so the hotel/condo's don't get built in the P&L, fine.

I never said either way...both could very well be built where the P&L district is designated.  My point is the specific location isn't important
Or does Cordish just bank the land and control development much like Durwood did for decades?
They are surface lots now, I assume they continue in that capacity...as you know, we lack parking downtown.
And which posts in "this" thread "pointed to the long term prognosis...how it's being ingrained as a major entertainment area so young in it's life points to it being around long term..."?
they all do.  Giving accounts of how downtown and the P&L are already taken so well compared to how downtown was seen even since I have moved down here gives an indication how well the area can do in the future as it matures with more retail, better restaurants, and continued fresh bar concepts.

You don't agree...that's fine...luckily downtown is on the upswing despite your deepest desires to the contrary.  Strong downtown helps the entire metro area, jump aboard.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kc star posted a photo album from the live! Block last night....it shows that obviously the live block is only full of 'tanaroxic, gelled hair, fake tan' people as documented by some on this site. &&

http://www.kansascity.com/934/gallery/1498570.html

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i guess we've overlooked hammered middle-aged women...

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I saw more 'chrizow' style than ed hardy style....guess its all what you want to see :)

mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

chrizow wrote: i guess we've overlooked hammered middle-aged women...

I looked over a couple of them in my younger, drunker days.