bats @ P+L?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

bats @ P+L?

Post by DaveKCMO »

i watched a half-dozen or so small glowing lights surrounding the P+L spotlight last night. after an hour of debate, we've settled on the explanation that they were bats and the intense spotlight was simply being reflected in their eyes as they flew around it. the movement of the lights would match the typical movement of a bat.

any other sightings or possible explanations? never seen this before last night. seems like a long way (i'm at 19th street) to be able to see the reflection...
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: bats @ P+L?

Post by ignatius »

Bats are prevalent in midtown.  Friend had them inside his hyde park home a couple times.  Very likely in downtown as well.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Saw a ton down in the bottoms this weekend next to Sutera's old space. They usually come out at dusk. A spotlight attracting bugs would definitely attract them.

We had them in our backyard growing up in Prairie Village as well. Great for keeping bugs away - even if they're a little on the creepy side.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I have had one fly into my open, unscreened loft window, grab onto a ceiling beam upside down and commence napping.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Doesn't help that this is the new spotlight Cordish uses at P&L.

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I had one in my basement when I was buying my house.  And 3 weeks ago, one made it's way into my brother in laws house in Topeka and flew around the house dodging 30 party guests.  That was exciting.

Normally they don't like much noise but can become accustomed to it if the feeding is good.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

There was a bat flying around the inside of AMC Mainstreet in the first few weeks after it's re-opening.  It was quite the scene, man. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

We cant stop here....this is bat country.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

okay, now we've REALLY solve the mystery. the bats -- which have likely always been there, but never noticed until now -- are flying over the mainmark building at 17th and main. they've installed new sodium vapor (orange?) uplights along the cornice, which explains the difference in color (bat eyes orange, P+L spotlight white). this explains why i can see the eye so clearly -- they're only one block away instead of six.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

There are two or three bats that circle around Oppenstein park nightly.  If you stand in the Wall Street Tower garage at dusk they are easy to see.

KCDowntown
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

When I walk outside WST early in the morning, I can usually find 1 or 2 bats stuck to the side of the building sleeping.  Last week there was a bat right above the 4th floor walkway door in the garage hanging upside down napping for a couple of days.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

staubio wrote: I have had one fly into my open, unscreened loft window, grab onto a ceiling beam upside down and commence napping.
That is awesome!  Did you get a picture?  Bats fascinate me.  :P
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too bad we cannot provide a more desirable place for bats to roost en masse.  The bats flying out from under the congress ave bridge in Austin have become a major tourist attraction.