Cordish sues Bice Bistro

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Cordish sues Bice Bistro

Post by jdubwaldo »

Right.....  Phew.  I was mis-taking the suggestion.
What are we really missing here in KC food-wise that would be fabulous? 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

jdubwaldo wrote: Right.....  Phew.  I was mis-taking the suggestion.
What are we really missing here in KC food-wise that would be fabulous? 
Mon Ami Gabi (Chicago, DC, Vegas) - anything from the Lettuce Entertain You peeps
Something from Rick Bayless
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Yum - I was thinking something along the lines of a fun tapas place.  I love La Bodega so don't want a direct competitor for them, but maybe something like Ba Ba Reeba?  Should I prepar to be publicly criticized now? 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Something from Rick Bayless, or along the lines of his style would be great.  There are a handful of good authentic Mexican restaurants in KC, but nothing with that kind of modern interpretation or stylish setting.  That would be cool.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

Nando's!  Delicious mild-to-spicy chicken and side dishes.  The closest place to buy their Peri Peri sauce, from what I've been told, is Lawrence though I could be mistaken.  Either way, it's a great quasi-fast food option that I think would fit well with the district.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Something from Rick Bayless, or along the lines of his style would be great.  There are a handful of good authentic Mexican restaurants in KC, but nothing with that kind of modern interpretation or stylish setting.  That would be cool.
Frida's way down south I believe is a little more in this vein than anything else in town.  As for La Bodega, they're opening up a south location, so a little downtown competition wouldn't hurt.  I think they're coasting a bit anyway.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tapas is an excellent idea. I was also thinking maybe a modern pan-Asian bistro.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I was also thinking maybe a modern pan-Asian bistro.
3 blocks from Nara?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

AJoD wrote: As for La Bodega, they're opening up a south location, so a little downtown competition wouldn't hurt.  I think they're coasting a bit anyway.
Ohh - where!?!??  Dang, they should have gone into Mission Farms where Los Cabos is (KCHopps mexican joint with an awesome, huge patio!)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: 3 blocks from Nara?
Yea, I thought about that, but my impression was Nara's menu is pretty limited to sushi and Japanese fare? I was thinking of a place that would appeal to the masses more like a nicer version of Bo Ling's.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sort of like Zen Zero in Lawrence?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Yea, I thought about that, but my impression was Nara's menu is pretty limited to sushi and Japanese fare? I was thinking of a place that would appeal to the masses more like a nicer version of Bo Ling's.
They are pan asian with japanese being the dominant flavor.  And while they have some more exotic stuff, the menu also goes out of its way to be approachable for Joe Six Pack.  Hell that's the only way to survive in this city. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I would frequent the shit out of a Belgian bistro with 5 or 6 Belgian taps and an extensive selection of bottles, plus a small, rotating food menu with Belgian trademarks like moules frites, rabbit braised in gueuze, boudin noir, etc.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote: I would frequent the shit out of a Belgian bistro with 5 or 6 Belgian taps and an extensive selection of bottles, plus a small, rotating food menu with Belgian trademarks like moules frites, rabbit braised in gueuze, boudin noir, etc.
Thanks for the reminder!  Westside Local Biergarten after work.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Yum.  I'm hoping to head there on Friday.

I'm anxious - so will ask again - anyone know where the new La Bodega "south" is going?  :P
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

jdubwaldo wrote: Yum.  I'm hoping to head there on Friday.

I'm anxious - so will ask again - anyone know where the new La Bodega "south" is going?   :P
One Nineteen in Leawood.

jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Thanks KCMax. This is great, close to my office!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Something from Rick Bayless, or along the lines of his style would be great.  There are a handful of good authentic Mexican restaurants in KC, but nothing with that kind of modern interpretation or stylish setting.  That would be cool.
I SERIOUSLY doubt Cordish will pay what it costs to get Rick Bayless here-- just don't see it happening. Homerun equals:
Celina Tio concept
Jasper's "
Debbie Gold "
Krause "
Linda Duerr "
Colby "
Justus "
Michael Smith "
etc.

Creating a buzz within the foodie crowd means a word-of-mouth you really can't buy. I'm not saying MOVE restaurants, but expand the chef's footprint here with a new concept like what Dalzell did or the Krauses are doing in Lawrence.

I also think it would be acceptable to import a respected restaurant that is already regionally popular if they cannot reach an agreement with a local chef to attach his/her name to the new venture. Particularly, Niche StL would be a good choice as I mentioned before. You have instant credibility even though the market is probably unfamiliar with the product.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Agreed. Get a local rock star chef to consult on a concept. P&L totally lacks that. They only barely hit on the idea with Chefburger, and were immediately outdone by Blanc. The "fanciest" restaurant in the district right now (pricewise) is 801, and they have decent steaks, but ultimately it's a joke. You can have a couple amazing 7-course meals at bluestem for what you'd pay for a pair of steaks at 801.

Which would you rather have for $200? An equisite, multi-course meal by a James Beard nominee/winner, or a pretty good steak you could make at home?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

many around here would choose the steak.  I don't think that's really any either/or decision between a good steakhouse and a multi-course gourmet type meal.  Each has their place.

tapas would be a fun idea that could work with groups coming down to have a fun time.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc