Cordish sues Bice Bistro

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Cordish sues Bice Bistro

Post by KCPowercat »

just the cafe part to the east would be for coffee.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Dunkin Donuts would rock in the Savvy space. 
trailerkid wrote: This is an awesome location. I hope they bring in a premium restaurant that will become a destination like Fogo, Cap Grill, M+S or the like...

Bice has been in limbo for like a year. Cordish was probably soliciting restaurants long before the official closure.

I think it would be unlikely to see a Capital Grille in that space, right across from 801.  And Fogo probably wouldn't do more than one location in KC.  I'd still like to see more local establishments do something in that neighborhood.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Three words for former Bice space that would be a homerun: Niche Kansas City
KC Sporting Life wrote: Dunkin Donuts would rock in the Savvy space. 

I think it would be unlikely to see a Capital Grille in that space, right across from 801.  And Fogo probably wouldn't do more than one location in KC.  I'd still like to see more local establishments do something in that neighborhood.
i'm talking about the TYPE of business-- not literally moving those tenants.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How about a second Jasper's location in the Bice location?  The food is decent, it has Kansas City and midtown history and, with Bristol having success, would draw the same type of demographic.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

beautyfromashes wrote: How about a second Jasper's location in the Bice location?  The food is decent, it has Kansas City and midtown history and, with Bristol having success, would draw the same type of demographic.
Funny. I actually had the same thought. Jasper's in the south suburbs is a casual establishment...what about bringing back the original, fine dining Jasper's?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

or EBT?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: or EBT?
Why?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Why?
Yeah, I am sceptical that EBT could support a second location.  Do they have much draw beyond their core following?  I can't recall the last time I heard someone tell me they had been to EBT or were planning to go to EBT. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:I can't recall the last time I heard someone tell me they had been to EBT or were planning to go to EBT.
Then you obviously don't hang out at hair salons and try to listen in on conversations over the din of 37 rows of occupied hair dryers.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah, I am sceptical that EBT could support a second location.  Do they have much draw beyond their core following?  I can't recall the last time I heard someone tell me they had been to EBT or were planning to go to EBT.  
I agree about a second location, but I did go there in late January and it was packed.  The interior is pretty cool since they freshened up a bit with some very unique lighting fixtures hanging from the ceiling.  People drop some serious cash there.  It's a sit and linger kind of place, where you order after dinner drinks and make your experience a 2 and a half hour outing.  Worth a visit, I just forget it's there sometimes.  I'm sure the following is very much a core group that doesn't expand much every year.  Besides, the whole shtick is that it contains original fixtures and items from the old Emery Bird Thayer department store.  Unless they have enough to re-create that feel (or use imposter fixtures!) it would have to be a slightly different concept.
mean wrote: Then you obviously don't hang out at hair salons and try to listen in on conversations over the din of 37 rows of occupied hair dryers.
Funny comment, but not at ALL who goes there!  You're thinking of Avenues Bistro in Brookside.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It would be macabre to have a suburban restaurant that was an epitaph to a nearly forgotton DT department store open DT.  Do they have any other EBT artifacts in storage?  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I agree about a second location, but I did go there in late January and it was packed.  The interior is pretty cool since they freshened up a bit with some very unique lighting fixtures hanging from the ceiling.  People drop some serious cash there.  It's a sit and linger kind of place, where you order after dinner drinks and make your experience a 2 and a half hour outing.  Worth a visit, I just forget it's there sometimes.  I'm sure the following is very much a core group that doesn't expand much every year.  Besides, the whole shtick is that it contains original fixtures and items from the old Emery Bird Thayer department store.  Unless they have enough to re-create that feel (or use imposter fixtures!) it would have to be a slightly different concept.
How was the food?  If you want to expand appeal in that market you better have noteworthy food product. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Funny comment, but not at ALL who goes there!  You're thinking of Avenues Bistro in Brookside.
Admittedly, I've never been to EBT. I always assumed that was the client base, due to its location and the fact that it hearkened back to a store that crowd would remember. This is also largely why I've avoided it for all these years.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: Admittedly, I've never been to EBT. I always assumed that was the client base, due to its location and the fact that it hearkened back to a store that crowd would remember. This is also largely why I've avoided it for all these years.
I always got the impression they were also heavily dependent on the same prom-date/I-need-an-expensive-romantic-restaurant-to pop-the-question-and-have-no-clue clientelle that has kept Skies in business all these years. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We had 4 in our party, and I know I had a beef entree, two had fish, and not sure the fourth.  I KNOW I posted about it during restaurant week but I don't see my comment anymore.  Must have been lost in the transitions.  I will say that service that night was absolutely one of the worst I've ever had in a restaurant of that caliber/price whatever.  Our server didn't show up for almost 10 minutes and I had to go to the hostess desk to ask where he/she was.  Then we got ZERO attention the rest of the night.  We left about a 12% tip that night on a probably $300 tab.  It was gawdawful.  Too bad my write up went missing, I went into more detail than I remember now.  I'd go back one more time because I don't go somewhere once and write it off, but screw it up that bad again and I'm done.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: I always got the impression they were also heavily dependent on the same prom-date/I-need-an-expensive-romantic-restaurant-to pop-the-question-and-have-no-clue clientelle that has kept Skies in business all these years. 
No, it's the older lawyer, I own a yacht and a bimbo with leopard print purse kind of clientell. Not blue hairs, but definitely older, just cocky and "I'm better than you" attitude.  From my visit anyway.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I always got the impression they were also heavily dependent on the same prom-date/I-need-an-expensive-romantic-restaurant-to pop-the-question-and-have-no-clue clientelle that has kept Skies in business all these years.  
That's hilarious because the only time I've ever eaten there was....prom.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ...that has kept Skies in business all these years. 
Skies is still in business!?!?! &
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

beautyfromashes wrote: Skies is still in business!?!?! &
I get the pleasure of a company dinner there Wednesday night.  Honestly not looking forward to it - the food is NOT that great.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: the food is NOT that great.
Understatement of the decade. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

In its defense, Skies has been going through bad chefs like a hot knife through a terrine of foie gras. It has potential, but that potential has been almost completely ignored for the last 20 years. Last time I ate there was a little over a year ago, and it was totally underwhelming... same as every other time. Here's hoping they can finally get someone in there and make it the flagship restaurant it has always failed to be.