P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Post by Cheffreygo »

Link to KC Star article:

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/802

I see this being a better fit for the P&L District.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Post by KCMax »

Agreed. This is good news.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Goodbye Carpetbaggers!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Just don't forget that Tarantino's Chicago style soundly defeats Old Chicago.

Also, seems like a small space for Old Chicago.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

It looks like FD closed because of a lack of parking. There was nothing wrong with the Q. Right.

With Old Chicago and Flying Saucer so close to each other--will this be heaven for beer lovers?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

man... i was coming to grips with the possibility of the place becoming an UNO's Grill.... Old Chicago is like tearing the scab off again.

The one out on Metcalf kind of sucks.... badly.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I went to the one in Lawrence quite a bit when I lived there because of the beer selection, but I have to admit the food was average at best.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeah, the two times i've been there it has been with friends more interested in drinking than eating
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Interesting how the comments in the Star article mirror the ones in this forum.  Probably the only time I have seen that. 

One comment stood out.  I don't believe a word of it.

"We had a friend who went to P&L Famous Dave's to pick up a "to go" order. They questioned him at the door because he wasn't dressed appropriately (he was dressed in factory-type work clothes). He told them he was just picking up an order and leaving. I think they just barely let him in! No surprise this restaurant didn't make it!"
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

hmm, I kind of like Famous Dave's, actually.  The food is decent, they have large glasses of Flying Monkey on draft for like $3 and their awesome two-meats, two-sides, cornbread and small corn on the cob special for $8.99 is a deal unmatched by any local 'que shops that I'm aware of. 

I had some nice evenings last summer sitting on the patio, watching baseball and eating that special slathered in a variety of their sauces.  It will be missed (though I would never have thought I would ever say such a thing)...only b/c of the special, of course, but that alone kept me away from Gates/Bryants/etc. for some time, and I'd never drive out to another location to get it.

P&L does need some type of BBQ, IMO, and I still can't believe that one of the local shops hasn't stepped up, or changed locations, a la Peachtree to represent Kansas City bbq in the 'dist.
are we spinning free?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I know some downtown Old Chicago locations have a nightlife/bar element to their business. I'd prefer UNO because it's more of a pizza place (at least last time I went) and less just about bar food. P+L already has mediocre bar food and beer up the arse.

Also...this is NOT confirmed. It's the owner of the local Famous Dave's that wants to make the change (turn the lease over I assume)...Cordish has no comment. Flying Saucer and Gordon Biersch already have the market cornered for this type of thing and Old Chicago across the street is pretty much offering more duplication. If I were Cordish I'd fight this move...
Last edited by trailerkid on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It was probably a situation where Cordish had little say because otherwise Famous Dave's would just close and nothing would be in the space.
There is no fifth destination.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Good to see it coming here.
Could have got a Johnny's Tavern,Dave and Buster or so on.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

trailerkid wrote:

Also...this is NOT confirmed. It's the owner of the local Famous Dave's that wants to make the change (turn the lease over I assume)...Cordish has no comment. Flying Saucer and Gordon Biersch already have the market cornered for this type of thing and Old Chicago across the street is pretty much offering more duplication. If I were Cordish I'd fight this move...
I've never been to Gordon Biersch, but somehow I got the impression they were a lager house. Do they also serve ales, porters, stouts....?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

wetpaint wrote: I've never been to Gordon Biersch, but somehow I got the impression they were a lager house. Do they also serve ales, porters, stouts....?
Yes, they have all types of beer-stout, porters, ales.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Gordon Biersch only brews lagers, including a dark lager.  They may offer Guinness, the Blvd line, etc., but they pride themselves on being lager-only for their own brews.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

There are some good downtown Old Chicago's - Lincoln, CO Springs and Boulder all have decent OC's in the downtown. I opened the OC in Lenexa when it was out there - worked there for a few years. Used to be a good company that paid ridiculous attention to customer service. And when it opened in Lenexa, the food quality was fantastic for a chain.

But, as with most things, they expaned too fast and tried to become everything to everyone. It has hurt the quality of food and service across the board in my opinion.

But, I'll try and support them. I just have a soft spot in my heart for that particular chain. I mean, if you're going to support a chain, it may as well be the one with 110 beers. I don't think they'll do well against Flying Saucer, but we'll see.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AJoD wrote: Gordon Biersch only brews lagers, including a dark lager.  They may offer Guinness, the Blvd line, etc., but they pride themselves on being lager-only for their own brews.
I don't think that's correct. I've only been twice, but they had a Hefe one of times I was there. Pretty sure that's an ale.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AJoD wrote: Gordon Biersch only brews lagers, including a dark lager.  They may offer Guinness, the Blvd line, etc., but they pride themselves on being lager-only for their own brews.
hmmm.  perhaps I'm wrong.  I know I've had a stout there before though. 

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/resources/ ... I_BEER.pdf
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

That link does say "hand-crafted lagers and ales" right atop, so perhaps they do some seasonal ales.

On their website (http://www.gordonbiersch.com/brewery/beer/index.html, scroll to bottom), they note all their flagships are lagers.

Only reason I have any input on this is that my sister was part of their opening team, and during training they made a big point about how all their beers were lagers, which had less room for error, required more skill, and were more pure (rheinheitsgebot marketing) than all the craft ales being produced.  Which I repeatedly tried to explain, from a pure taste perspective, was hogwash.  I'm an equal opportunity drinker.