P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Post by KCPowercat »

That would have been a nice add for the district although really need a local bbq joint to step up and come downtown somewhere and that would be a good spot for them given they have open space in the back for smokers.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

He said his restaurant was not easy to access and that a lack of parking in the area also is hurting sales.
Yeah, there's only like 12,000 parking spaces within like two blocks... NOT ENOUGH PARKING!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:
He said his restaurant was not easy to access and that a lack of parking in the area also is hurting sales.
Yeah, there's only like 12,000 parking spaces within like two blocks... NOT ENOUGH PARKING!
Yea, that's rich. I cannot believe a single potential customer was going to drive to P&L just for Genghis Grille, find no parking, then turn around and go home. Its the kind of place you eat at because you're already in the area, its certainly not a destination place.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Exactly. Generic chain Mongolian BBQ? Who eats that shit, really? That belongs in a strip mall next to IHOP and Joe's Crab Shack.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

houlihan's would have been a nice addition. their burger is actually pretty damn good.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Agreed, although I think it's getting to a point where nobody wants to play with Cordish.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They have a pretty solid happy hour too....still kinda hoping they work a deal.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

You know, I think it should be noted that there are quite a few very successful tenants in the P&L. Sure working with Corish is hard, but if you suck at business you have nobody to blame but yourself.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Houlihan's sucks at business?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think he was talking those who don't make it....genghis....peachtree....infamous Dave's. Still.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

yeah, i have no idea what went down w/ Houlihans and I hope something works out in the future. I'm just saying that the common thread between most (if not all) of the places that have closed down is that they sucked.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:I think he was talking those who don't make it....genghis....peachtree....infamous Dave's. Still.
I don't know that they're necessarily bad at business either. The Peachtree Buffet does fine afaik, and I bet Genghis Grill will do fine at 119th. I assume the FD's 14th Street franchisee is the same as the suburban locations, and they all seem to be doing fine, too. I think the problem, by and large, is onerous rent coupled with bad concepts and concepts that would never work in that location. Down home soul food with $20 entrees? Silly chain Mongolian BBQ that belongs out on Little Blue Parkway or 119th? Bad Minneapolis BBQ in the heart of downtown KC? Olive Garden level Italian with Lidia's level pricing? Not really surprised that these are history, and I'm not convinced that Fran's and Pizza Bar are going to be able to stick around, either. Or that godawful "Mexican" place. Frankly, I'm surprised they've made it this long.
ColumbusParkian wrote:yeah, i have no idea what went down w/ Houlihans and I hope something works out in the future. I'm just saying that the common thread between most (if not all) of the places that have closed down is that they sucked.
Yeah, I agree, with the exception of Peachtree, which was great when they were on their game. Unfortunately, between too-often shitty service, an overpriced menu, and poor management, they just couldn't hack it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Peachtree closed up all but one location at once and tried to blame everyone but themselves....

Pizza bar and tengo sed are cordish brands....so they will retheme as cordish sees fit.

I think frans does well.....they stay pretty consistent when I walk by there. At least as well as a denny's or the like stays busy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

..and by bad at business I mean more not knowing the environment they are going into....genghis grille owner made that pretty obvious. Same with the old McDonald's franchisee down here....closed because he wanted a drive though.....they don't take into acccount the differences from their "ideal" money making location and what it takes in a downtown area.....or just a subpar product.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:Peachtree closed up all but one location at once and tried to blame everyone but themselves....
Right, but the buffet still brings in the cash. I'm not saying they're blameless, just that they clearly are capable of operating a successful business.
KCPowercat wrote:Pizza bar and tengo sed are cordish brands....so they will retheme as cordish sees fit.
Ohhh, right. Well, I guess that explains why Tengo Sed is still around.
KCPowercat wrote:I think frans does well.....they stay pretty consistent when I walk by there. At least as well as a denny's or the like stays busy.
Maybe, we'll see. The main problem is that it sucks, although sucking and being open at 3am can sometimes work together and be a recipe for success.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah their 3am chef rocks in my experience
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've only been for dinner, and it was disastrous both times. I wouldn't say it was epic in its awfulness, but close enough. But after several drinks I'm sure it'd be fine.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Mean, I would suggest that often shitty service, being overpriced and having bad management would equal "sucking" :)

I've always wanted to try their buffet, but that whole operation at 14th and Main was a clusterfuck from day 1.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I think he was talking those who don't make it....genghis....peachtree....infamous Dave's. Still.
I don't know that they're necessarily bad at business either. The Peachtree Buffet does fine afaik, and I bet Genghis Grill will do fine at 119th. I assume the FD's 14th Street franchisee is the same as the suburban locations, and they all seem to be doing fine, too. I think the problem, by and large, is onerous rent coupled with bad concepts and concepts that would never work in that location. Down home soul food with $20 entrees? Silly chain Mongolian BBQ that belongs out on Little Blue Parkway or 119th? Bad Minneapolis BBQ in the heart of downtown KC? Olive Garden level Italian with Lidia's level pricing? Not really surprised that these are history, and I'm not convinced that Fran's and Pizza Bar are going to be able to stick around, either. Or that godawful "Mexican" place. Frankly, I'm surprised they've made it this long.
ColumbusParkian wrote:yeah, i have no idea what went down w/ Houlihans and I hope something works out in the future. I'm just saying that the common thread between most (if not all) of the places that have closed down is that they sucked.
Yeah, I agree, with the exception of Peachtree, which was great when they were on their game. Unfortunately, between too-often shitty service, an overpriced menu, and poor management, they just couldn't hack it.
Its also a recession and turnover is natural and should be expected. Legends and the Plaza have both had numerous restaurants come and go the last few years.