P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:Is RR space where kchopps was talked about filling?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:
FangKC wrote:I think any restaurant on the second floor at P&L isn't going to do well. Just a hunch. Kansas Citians are just to obese the climb stairs.
Bullshit. Doesn't seem to stop people in cities with comparable obesity rates like San Antonio, San Diego, New Orleans, Austin, etc.

Repeating something until it sounds true doesn't make it true.
I think the second floor location was a killer. Not because people are too fat but because it was in an improbable place, up a very sterile looking staircase behind a glass door to an empty tile foyer and it wasn't particularly obvious from ground level. Walk by the Bristol on the same block and it's hard to resist going in the place; not quite the same for the Peachtree. The service was also a bit of an issue I understand (although decent, not great, on our one visit).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Funny you say that Highlander, upscale Italian places do quite well in New York City. But then, there lots of rich people there. :D
A lot more sophistication too. Went to a terrible high end Italian place in Houston today. This is just an anecdotal observation I've had lately about such places. In the midwest (and I'll include Houston in that), Italian food seems to be going the way of Mexican food; taste and sophistication matter far less than having a large serving size. In Houston, the high end Italian places are 1) disapointing and 2) struggle to compete with the slop houses that serve more food than the average human can eat. Good places are empty and "Hasta La Pasta" out in the burbs is packed every night (the name paints an accurate picture of this place).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think if Chef Boyardee opened a restaurant in an Overland Park strip mall, and served spaghetti and ravioli in gallon buckets, every other Italian place in the area would be in serious trouble. :lol:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chingon wrote:
FangKC wrote:I think any restaurant on the second floor at P&L isn't going to do well. Just a hunch. Kansas Citians are just to obese the climb stairs.
Bullshit. Doesn't seem to stop people in cities with comparable obesity rates like San Antonio, San Diego, New Orleans, Austin, etc.

Repeating something until it sounds true doesn't make it true.
Chingon, you need to relax, I was making a joke.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

FangKC wrote:I think if Chef Boyardee opened a restaurant in an Overland Park strip mall, and served spaghetti and ravioli in gallon buckets, every other Italian place in the area would be in serious trouble. :lol:
even Olive Garden?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm pretty sure Olive Garden has all you can eat pasta, so the value proposition is there. You could eat more than a gallon, if you're so inclined. Also, don't forget they have a culinary institute in Tuscany! :---)