P&L district attitude rant

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P&L district attitude rant

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How is that parking ordinance coming?  Do zoning ordinances somehow improve like fine wine the longer they languish in committee review?
Last update the DNA got was that it was "very close" and they were ironing out some concerns brought up by developers. Apparently it was mostly the suburban elements of the code, but that still scares me.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread, but it seems somewhat relevant to this topic (admins- feel free to move it if you deem appropriate)

My wife was photographing a wedding reception downtown last Saturday and needed me to pick her up at 12th and Baltimore at 9pm.  I arrived downtown about 30 minutes early so I decided to just drive around and see what the general feel of downtown at 9pm on a Saturday night is.  I was honestly so encouraged to see people outside of the immediate P&L area.  Thai Place (several blocks to the north) was almost full, pedestrians were walking around near the Library, the Lyric was bustling, The Quality Hill Playhouse had a nice crowd, etc.

I know that a lot of people are concerned that the P&L won't make a positive impact on downtown, but my drive last weekend made it evident (to me at least) that there is an excitement that hasn't been downtown for decades.  People strolling around, attending plays, musical events, walking in and out of hotels, dining, and having a good town in downtown KCMO.  We've only lived in the metro for about a year and a half, but I can even tell a HUGE difference from when we moved here.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Wait till the PAC is in full swing.    And if by the miracle of hte heavens they get an NHL team down there...... :shock:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
en08
Pad site
Pad site

Post by en08 »

I think the P&L is a HUGE success. Right now, I am in college at SLU in downtown St. Louis. About two months ago since I have left, I stayed downtown. It was amazing. EVerywhere there were people on a Saturday night. Whether they were from surburban KC or from downtown, they were everywhere. There was an energy there that hasn't been downtown since a time over 40 yeas when our downtown was vibrant. If you go to St. Louis's downtown there are a few local bars with little energy along Washington Avenue, but even those bars are virtually dead if there is no cardinals game. About three weeks ago, I went with some friends to a Cardinals game. After the game was over at 9, we walked around downtown. It was teeming with some life, but by 11:00 it was D-E-A-D. The only people walking around were homless people and shady people. True, I saw some people on Washington avenue, but they were sparse and all inside the bars. Nothing like downtown KC. I would much rather have a "flashy" destination downtown than have a only some local bars that don't create the needed energy of a vibrant downtown. I think is what we need is to have a great mix of "vibrant, flashy" places AND local ones, and KC is doing a great job of that. The X-Roads has quite a few local bars while the P&L has a WOW factor that would make someone from St. Louis awe in wonder at how great KC is... and even impress someone from Chicago. What we needed was the "big, flashy, hip, cool place"... in time we will have more local bars, and I can't wait to see what downtown is like in 10 years. Either way, i truly believe, we are on the fast-track to having one of the best downtowns in America.

My only current concern is the overall lack of retail... when is Cordish going to start putting in these "upscale" boutiques??
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

en08 wrote: I think the P&L is a HUGE success. Right now, I am in college at SLU in downtown St. Louis. About two months ago since I have left, I stayed downtown. It was amazing. EVerywhere there were people on a Saturday night. Whether they were from surburban KC or from downtown, they were everywhere. There was an energy there that hasn't been downtown since a time over 40 yeas when our downtown was vibrant. If you go to St. Louis's downtown there are a few local bars with little energy along Washington Avenue, but even those bars are virtually dead if there is no cardinals game. About three weeks ago, I went with some friends to a Cardinals game. After the game was over at 9, we walked around downtown. It was teeming with some life, but by 11:00 it was D-E-A-D. The only people walking around were homless people and shady people. True, I saw some people on Washington avenue, but they were sparse and all inside the bars. Nothing like downtown KC. I would much rather have a "flashy" destination downtown than have a only some local bars that don't create the needed energy of a vibrant downtown. I think is what we need is to have a great mix of "vibrant, flashy" places AND local ones, and KC is doing a great job of that. The X-Roads has quite a few local bars while the P&L has a WOW factor that would make someone from St. Louis awe in wonder at how great KC is... and even impress someone from Chicago. What we needed was the "big, flashy, hip, cool place"... in time we will have more local bars, and I can't wait to see what downtown is like in 10 years. Either way, i truly believe, we are on the fast-track to having one of the best downtowns in America.

My only current concern is the overall lack of retail... when is Cordish going to start putting in these "upscale" boutiques??
Good post.  =D>
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain