Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by ignatius »

Surprising to see Consentino's doesn't sell umbrellas.  It's an indication of just how non-pedestrian thinking this town really is.  They sell items for the car but have no consideration for pedestrians.

In other cities, most any store in a ped area sells them dirt cheap (<$4) and has them next to the register or at the door, for when it's raining.  I've seen on the E Coast sidewalk signs that are put out when it's raining that say something to the effect, "It's raining. $4 umbrellas."  Doesn't matter the type of store, it brings people in when raining - probably sold not much more than cost. 

Can't find cheap umbrellas on the Plaza either and the few that sell them are pricey.

Not even a downtown grocery store considers catering to the pedestrian hood they are in.  But they sure do think about the car culture.  GNC, Jos. Bank, Sprint Store - they all should have cheap umbrellas for sale.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Suggest it, I'm sure they'd stock some.

BTW the downtown CVS sells umbrellas. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I did, but will have to probably do so again.  The woman I mentioned it to looked perplexed, as if she's never walked more than a block in her life.  I'm aware of CVS, but pretty much any store every block should have them.  The point is no one is thinking in pedestrian terms.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Maybe pedestrians should just be prepared with umbrellas in the first place!  :lol:
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Did it rain today?    I've been outside most of the day and never saw any.  Was downtown all day too.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ignatius wrote: Surprising to see Consentino's doesn't sell umbrellas.  It's an indication of just how non-pedestrian thinking this town really is.  They sell items for the car but have no consideration for pedestrians.

In other cities, most any store in a ped area sells them dirt cheap (<$4) and has them next to the register or at the door, for when it's raining.  I've seen on the E Coast sidewalk signs that are put out when it's raining that say something to the effect, "It's raining. $4 umbrellas."  Doesn't matter the type of store, it brings people in when raining - probably sold not much more than cost. 

Can't find cheap umbrellas on the Plaza either and the few that sell them are pricey.

Not even a downtown grocery store considers catering to the pedestrian hood they are in.  But they sure do think about the car culture.  GNC, Jos. Bank, Sprint Store - they all should have cheap umbrellas for sale.
When I worked at HyVee in West Lawrence we had a big umbrella display that was wheeled to the front of the store whenever it started to rain outside. I really don't consider West Lawrence or HyVee concerned with pedestrian activities in any way. I see this as a Cosentino's stocking issue rather than indicative of some lack of concern for pedestrian lifestyle. Do they carry much general merchandise (candles, seasonal aisle, patio furniture, college apparel) at all in that store? Umbrellas would fall into that department.

Oh, and there aren't as many pedestrians in Kansas City as most any similar or larger city on the East Coast so that's probably why you don't see umbrella displays everywhere. People can easily drive/park to get to a business two blocks away.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Umbrellas don't cause pedestrians. Pedestrians cause umbrellas!  :lol:
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

If we could import underground fake purse sellers from NYC, we'd have umbrellas when it rains.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ignatius wrote: I did, but will have to probably do so again.  The woman I mentioned it to looked perplexed, as if she's never walked more than a block in her life.  I'm aware of CVS, but pretty much any store every block should have them.  The point is no one is thinking in pedestrian terms.
Try and talk to one of the floor managers - I have seen them taking detailed notes from customers on items they would like to see stocked.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Ask for a guy named mark lenz. I worked with him at hy-vee for a number of years. He's got great cust serv skills.
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kccrackednut »

Is it just me? Does the prepared food in this store look better than it tastes?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think the prepared food is really good, but it depends on what you get. There are a few things I haven't been nuts about.

Oh, and they have umbrellas now.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Ask for a guy named mark lenz. I worked with him at hy-vee for a number of years. He's got great cust serv skills.
So true!  Mark Lenz has the best customer service skills of any grocery store manager I've ever dealt with.  He doesn't "play store", he truly takes an interest in the needs of the people who elect to do business with Cosentino's.   
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

While my wife and I were in the store last night about 6:00 PM, we saw a total of 3 guys come in with just swim trunks on.  The last guy we saw as we were leaving and a store employee told him, he needed a shirt.  Probably won't be long before the standard, no shirt, no shoes, no service sign goes up.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

cknab1 wrote: While my wife and I were in the store last night about 6:00 PM, we saw a total of 3 guys come in with just swim trunks on.  The last guy we saw as we were leaving and a store employee told him, he needed a shirt.  Probably won't be long before the standard, no shirt, no shoes, no service sign goes up.
I was in the store twice yesterday and never saw any shirtless/shoeless folks walk in but you could tell Jones' pool people were in the store buying things.  Other than making sure the pool people come down at least covered up a bit and dry, it does add many more people who buy things at Cosentino's which is a good thing.  When I was checking out, there were no less than 5 people asking about the pool and how to get there.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

alpha_glamourina wrote: So true!  Mark Lenz has the best customer service skills of any grocery store manager I've ever dealt with.  He doesn't "play store", he truly takes an interest in the needs of the people who elect to do business with Cosentino's.   
We miss him at the Brookside store. Dude is a pro.  I think the milf-hunter Charles is in charge of Brookside now. He's pretty good too.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

kucer wrote: We miss him at the Brookside store. Dude is a pro.  I think the milf-hunter Charles is in charge of Brookside now. He's pretty good too.
CHARLES IN CHARGE!!  :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cosentino's is not in st. louis and is not named schnuck's, so the discussion has been moved here:

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=16047.0
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

good move!  thanks!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kccrackednut wrote: Is it just me? Does the prepared food in this store look better than it tastes?
I've found that to be true in almost every grocery store - even Dean/Deluca.

I thought the pasta special I had one day at Cosentino's downtown was awful. Bland and awful.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.