P&L District Parking questions

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

P&L District Parking questions

Post by KCRoyal »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm making my first 'official' car trip to the P&L District this weekend.  You know, just to hang out.  I've gone down there via the bus, but I've never parked there before.

2 Questions:

Question 1:  Are the lots south of the district (off of Truman Rd.) free? 
Question 2:  How much is it to park in the garage (Town Pavillion I think)?

Any help is appreciated.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: P&L District Parking questions

Post by AllThingsKC »

I think your best (and cheapest) option would be to park in the P&L Parking Garage.  That's located on the South side of 13th Street between Grand and Walnut (right across the street from the Town Pavilion Garage).  It only costs $2, even if there is an event at the Sprint Center.  The elevator in the garage will take you up to the KC Live! level, right in front of Gordon Biersch.

And, just to answer your questions...
KCRoyal wrote: Question 1:  Are the lots south of the district (off of Truman Rd.) free? 
No.  I believe the cost is $5 for all day parking (if you get there during before a certain time on a week day, usually 5:00pm).  I'm sure it's higher at night or when there's a Sprint Center event.

KCRoyal wrote: Question 2:  How much is it to park in the garage (Town Pavillion I think)?
I believe that it's $5 to park in the Town Pavilion garage (after 5:00pm on week days, all day on Saturday and Sunday), and $10+ dollars to park when there's an event at the Sprint Center.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: I think your best (and cheapest) option would be to park in the P&L Parking Garage.  That's located on the South side of 13th Street between Grand and Walnut (right across the street from the Town Pavilion Garage).  It only costs $2, even if there is an event at the Sprint Center.  The elevator in the garage will take you up to the KC Live! level, right in front of Gordon Biersch.
Don't forget to validate if you want the $2. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Don't forget to validate if you want the $2. 
I haven't seen the validation in effect for quite a while.  I've always had to pay $2 at the entrance and then you just leave when you're done.  Has anyone had to validate recently?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I had a friend that got a ticket and had to validate the other day. seems they are still unsure which payment method they want to use yet.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Don't forget to validate if you want the $2. 
They don't do that anymore.  You pay the $2 as soon as you enter the garage.  They don't even give you a ticket to be validated.  It's been like that for about 2 months (or so) now.

So, you could go ANYWHERE downtown (including an event at the Sprint Center) and pay $2 if you park in the P&L Garage (versus the $5 - $20 across the street).

PumpkinStalker wrote: Has anyone had to validate recently?
"Not I," said the talking carrot while drinking a milk shake from Taco Bell as he was driving a bus of homeless cats to the park for a party.  Wait, Taco Bell doesn't have milk shakes.  So, forget the milk shake part.
KC is the way to be!
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

AllThingsKC wrote: I think your best (and cheapest) option would be to park in the P&L Parking Garage.  That's located on the South side of 13th Street between Grand and Walnut (right across the street from the Town Pavilion Garage).  It only costs $2, even if there is an event at the Sprint Center.  The elevator in the garage will take you up to the KC Live! level, right in front of Gordon Biersch.
Thanks alot AllThingsKC.  I'll try the 'Live' garage.  I wanted to ask about those lots on the south side because the website didn't post a charge, so I assumed they were free.  I assumed wrong I guess.  Thanks again for the info!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

park for free three blocks away in the crossroads.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah crossroads businesses love it when you do that. :)

just pay the $2 in the live garage.....if you can't afford that, probably can't afford the drinks anyways.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: They don't do that anymore.  You pay the $2 as soon as you enter the garage.  They don't even give you a ticket to be validated.  It's been like that for about 2 months (or so) now.
My bad - I haven't parked for a couple months.  Is it back to being a "cash only" operation again?  Frankly that is usually a bigger pain in my ass than dealing with the validation and the picky credit card machine.  
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: park for free three blocks away in the crossroads.
yes, we just love being the P+L auto dumping grounds!  :shock:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes, we just love being the P+L auto dumping grounds!  :shock:
parking at 15xx Main or Baltimore isn't exactly encroaching on the Crossroads.   

too bad the Crossroads is 50% parking lots and comprises a larger area than the downtown loop.  i'd say the crossroads should get used to serving as event parking for the sprint center/p+l!.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: parking at 15xx Main or Baltimore isn't exactly encroaching on the Crossroads.   

too bad the Crossroads is 50% parking lots and comprises a larger area than the downtown loop.  i'd say the crossroads should get used to serving as event parking for the sprint center/p+l!.
oh yeah, we've got more than enough capacity. it's not like any of the crossroads businesses stay open after 6 anyway.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote: parking at 15xx Main or Baltimore isn't exactly encroaching on the Crossroads.   

Exactly - park in the "crossroads" - there are usually spots available on walnut and main/baltimore, south of truman, on non event nights.  Its free and its faster in and out.
The crossroads as it is now is mostly parking - the few businesses there have it pretty easy as far as convenient street parking goes.  
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

honestly the parking situation is still very confusing....I am constantly asked about it and it is still impossible to get a straight answer on items such as when does the $2 validation begin? (some info says 5, some says 6, some says 11am).

also what happens if you leave your car overnight due to drinking too much?

just simple things like those and the rotating methods of payment that should be worked out by now.  obviously not hurting their business but still, could be made much more clear for the customers.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Is it back to being a "cash only" operation again?
No.  It's still cash or credit card.  I'm told they also take checks... a $2 check!
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

if they are collecting at thew entrance it is cash only.  don't have cash?  they turn you around and point you to the atm.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: if they are collecting at thew entrance it is cash only.  don't have cash?  they turn you around and point you to the atm.
ah, that explains the recent appearance of an ATM at that location...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: if they are collecting at thew entrance it is cash only.  don't have cash?  they turn you around and point you to the atm.
Hmmm...  they let me use my card just last week.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

as you were pulling in?  there isn't  a place to put a card, is there?

I am kust basing it off a time I went and they charged 2 cash as I entered.  I asked the guy what happens if people don't have cash and he told me they redirected people to the atm.