More retail hoped for/needed

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

More retail hoped for/needed

Post by Philacav »

I was really disappointed that Cordish didn't seem to make more of an effort to recruit some popular retailers to the Power and Light District.  I dunno, perhaps they did and the history of downtown's retail decline/lack of figures proving need kept stores from jumping in in a faltering economy.  But stores such as H&M or a really large Urban Outfitters store might have done quite well in the district.  Not even a major bookstore came along with it.  I know this has been discussed from time to time in other threads, but I hoped there might be some new energy for a new conversation about this.

Attracting retailers unique to downtown is a great idea, but there will have to be a base of familiar, popular stores to further boost the image of downtown as a viable place to shop, in time.

It all ties back to what a shame it is that the City never got serious about really stabilizing the retail district in the last five decades, until it was beyond too late in many ways.

Alas, the destruction of retail architecture north of the Power and Light District, and replacement (usually) with parking garages with no retail on the ground floor further stymies any hope for downtown retail revival.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: More retail hoped for/needed

Post by NDTeve »

Didn't realize that PandL was finished.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

Why do so many people on blogs spend so much time going out of their way being rude and sarcastic to other bloggers?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This isn't a blog...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Didn't realize that PandL was finished.
May be for all we know - you see any interior finish going on anywhere other than bice?  I see a lot of completed storefronts with no tennants. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

steakhouse and peachtree and surf bar are all having interior finishes completed.

stores are closing at mass rate all over the u.s. I am not really expecting a full slate of tenants with these conditions, is anybody?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: stores are closing at mass rate all over the u.s. I am not really expecting a full slate of tenants with these conditions, is anybody?
Well seeing as the dollar is about to collapse, I can't imagine any business owner in their right mind wanting to open anything in the near future.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: stores are closing at mass rate all over the u.s. I am not really expecting a full slate of tenants with these conditions, is anybody?
Full slate maybe not - maybe a few retail tennants perhaps though? - hell a single retail tennant beyond Sprint?  Is there even any reason to believe that Jos A banks and the nail salon haven't backed out.  Anyone see any tennant work for a suit shop or a nail salon in any of the long completed retail storefronts?  Anyone? hmmm.  

There is a world of difference between things just going a little slow and having a few empty retail spaces to worry about and having an entire empty block and zero retail amenities.  Even in these tough times, Cordish didn't have the clout to get anything?  
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Philacav wrote: Why do so many people on blogs spend so much time going out of their way being rude and sarcastic to other bloggers?
that response did not take very much time.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nail salon is going in the 12/main block, so yeah no tenant finish there yet.

Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Full slate maybe not - maybe a few retail tennants perhaps though? - hell a single retail tennant beyond Sprint?  Is there even any reason to believe that Jos A banks and the nail salon haven't backed out.  Anyone see any tennant work for a suit shop or a nail salon in any of the long completed retail storefronts?  Anyone? hmmm. 

There is a world of difference between things just going a little slow and having a few empty retail spaces to worry about and having an entire empty block and zero retail amenities.  Even in these tough times, Cordish didn't have the clout to get anything? 
Jos A Banks' stock plunged 20% this week on news of abysmal sales figures.  Think they are in survival mode and wouldn't be surprised if they have put a freeze on all expansion plans.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Gretz wrote: Jos A Banks' stock plunged 20% this week on news of abysmal sales figures.  Think they are in survival mode and wouldn't be surprised if they have put a freeze on all expansion plans.
I bet they respond by having a 50% off 200% of the retail value sale.  :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:stores are closing at mass rate all over the u.s. I am not really expecting a full slate of tenants with these conditions, is anybody?
considering they've been talking up a leasing love fest for years, yes. so much is riding on this, it seems like more could be done outside of the cordish inner sanctum to fill things up. obviously tenants have pulled out and the economic downturn is a perfectly legitimate excuse, but why not 'fess up about it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: considering they've been talking up a leasing love fest for years, yes. so much is riding on this, it seems like more could be done outside of the cordish inner sanctum to fill things up. obviously tenants have pulled out and the economic downturn is a perfectly legitimate excuse, but why not 'fess up about it?
hope to replace them w/o anybody noticing.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: considering they've been talking up a leasing love fest for years, yes. so much is riding on this, it seems like more could be done outside of the cordish inner sanctum to fill things up. obviously tenants have pulled out and the economic downturn is a perfectly legitimate excuse, but why not 'fess up about it?
Cordish could pull unique, local shops and boutiques mixed with some chains and create something more interesting than anything currently in the metro. The fact that Cordish is talking to Birdies makes me give them a vote of confidence. Habitat's business would be improved by locating here. It is hard when most of the locals balk at creating something that could be one of the most unique shopping districts in the region. 

I wouldn't put it past Cordish to attempt to open retail concepts(e.g. women's LA style boutique, makeup counter, shoe store) in the same way that they open restaurant concepts. In many ways, a retail concept may be easier to execute.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Are other cities experiencing this?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

KC is one of the most in overbuilt retail space in the nation.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Insert Quote
KC is one of the most in overbuilt retail space in the nation
As a metro, yes, but much of the retail is primarily in new/newer suburban areas far from the older city.  I would argue that the urban core may actually be underserved in many cases.
are we spinning free?
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

As a metro, yes, but much of the retail is primarily in new/newer suburban areas far from the older city.  I would argue that the urban core may actually be underserved in many cases.
Agree you have to go north or south to buy a lot of things.