P&L Art Fair

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: P&L Art Fair

Post by moderne »

I stand by my statement.  Yes, I lived DT for three years.  Did not see that many people during any urban home tour, and as for St Pats or Tournament on Sunday, those crowds were not strollers, just falling down drinkers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I've been to quite a few art fairs and I'm pretty convinced it is a major industry backed by national companies. The art produced at each art fair I've been to - Plaza, Brookside, Westport, P&L, art fairs in other cities are almost all exactly the same. The type of art you will find is formulaic in each festival:

Paintings of sports memorabilia montages
Panoramic photographs of iconic structures of that city
Breathtaking colorful photos of faraway Asian countries
Paintings of southwestern landscapes
Georgia O'Keefe knock-offs
Mark Rothko knock-offs
A few Chinese paintings of storks or coy fish
Funky paintings of ironic cartoonish figures
Sprinkle in some glassware, jewelry and some vases and you've got yourself an art fair.

I just get the impression these are produced nationally, and they commission local people to sell them under the guise of "local art". This stuff looks exactly the same as art fairs I've been to in Chicago and Detroit. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, it was a really pleasant time just strolling around downtown. We got to try Gordon Biersch for the first time and really enjoyed our meal. Really cool seeing the crowds. I even ran into this guy that stalks pumpkins! Good times.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Georgia O'Keefe knock offs---the friend I was with almost purchased a ceramic vase thingamjig from Goddess booth until I told him it was a symbolic representation of the femal genitalia!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

That turned him off?  Seems like the hidden symbolisim would offer more bang for your buck.  :D
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It was to be for his medical office(not OB-Gyn). The artist that had sculptural tropical flowers and frogs said Sat night someone stole an piece valued at $1500.00.  Didn't Cordish have enough security?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: It was to be for his medical office(not OB-Gyn). The artist that had sculptural tropical flowers and frogs said Sat night someone stole an piece valued at $1500.00.  Didn't Cordish have enough security?
we went yesterday and it appeared there were plenty of uniformed people standing around.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCMax wrote: I've been to quite a few art fairs and I'm pretty convinced it is a major industry backed by national companies. The art produced at each art fair I've been to - Plaza, Brookside, Westport, P&L, art fairs in other cities are almost all exactly the same. The type of art you will find is formulaic in each festival:

Mark Rothko knock-offs
Sprinkle in some glassware, jewelry and some vases and you've got yourself an art fair.

I just get the impression these are produced nationally, and they commission local people to sell them under the guise of "local art". This stuff looks exactly the same as art fairs I've been to in Chicago and Detroit. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, you are wrong. I know several people whose main income comes from doing this art fair circuit and they make their stuff themselves. A lot of it all looks kind of the same, because that what sells. It is a business.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

the dude selling the glass sculpture objects over by Bristol sold a sail-boat looking sculpture, waited about 10 minutes for the buyer to hopefully have cleared out of the area and then reached into a box and pulled out an almost exact replica of it  :lol:
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

moderne wrote: Georgia O'Keefe knock offs---the friend I was with almost purchased a ceramic vase thingamjig from Goddess booth until I told him it was a symbolic representation of the femal genitalia!
What a puss.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCMax wrote: I've been to quite a few art fairs and I'm pretty convinced it is a major industry backed by national companies. The art produced at each art fair I've been to - Plaza, Brookside, Westport, P&L, art fairs in other cities are almost all exactly the same. The type of art you will find is formulaic in each festival:

Mark Rothko knock-offs

Anyway, it was a really pleasant time just strolling around downtown. We got to try Gordon Biersch for the first time and really enjoyed our meal. Really cool seeing the crowds. I even ran into this guy that stalks pumpkins! Good times.
You're going to have to put a little more effort into it.  We've picked up 6-8 nice works in the past 10 years.