Old farts and P&L

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Old farts and P&L

Post by nota »

We're in KC this week. I've been visiting my old buddies a lot. I've heard nothing but high praises from all of them about P&L. They are really enjoying the place.

Many of them have been there a lot of times. My AMC buds are really excited about the new theater.

It's interesting, these are the same folks who crowded Legends, Zona when it opened, Briarcliff and Tuileries. Seems like all those are old hat now and P&L is the place to be.

Just a bit of trivia for y'all.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Old farts and P&L

Post by mean »

That's great, I hope they keep digging it. The (possible) problem is that it sounds like people in general tend to gravitate toward whatever the new hotness is and abandon the old hat as soon as there's something new. Will P&L continue to draw suburban folks when a "new-urbanist" "lifestyle center" opens up closer to them with 80% of the same tenants? We'll see.

On a side note, I have a feeling there is zero chance you or your friends will be manhandled for violating the dress code.  :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

but watch those leftovers.... you WILL be tackled
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

jeez when was the tuileries crowded?  i'm very close to it and worried about it. :(
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: That's great, I hope they keep digging it. The (possible) problem is that it sounds like people in general tend to gravitate toward whatever the new hotness is and abandon the old hat as soon as there's something new. Will P&L continue to draw suburban folks when a "new-urbanist" "lifestyle center" opens up closer to them with 80% of the same tenants? We'll see.

On a side note, I have a feeling there is zero chance you or your friends will be manhandled for violating the dress code.  :lol:
Ted's is already all over the metro.

You really think Bristol, Lucky Strike, Maker's Mark, McFadden's, Howl at the Moon, Bice, etc. etc. etc. will be in 80% of the upcoming lifestyle centers? Most of those places open one location per metro.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't necessarily mean the exact same chains, just similar (or identical) concepts.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
rhine
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by rhine »

So here's my anecdotal P&L old fart story...

Went there with a friend two Fridays ago after catching the Royals on the big screen at the 810 Zone on the Plaza.There was a big line just to get frisked to get in the west side. We were about 100 people back when some guy walks up and grabs me and my friend out of the line and whisks us past all of the onlooking 20 somethings wondering what kind of juice these guys had, and security.  :x

Apparently if you are obviously over 30, they give you the A-list treatment.  I didnt think I looked that "old", but I guess you can't forever pass for 20 something when you are closer to 40.  8)  Not a striped shirt between us either. The whole area was rocking that night, art fair just got out, and everywhere was packed and lines to get in. We ended up at the only place without lines at the time, Flying Saucer about the time the storm rolled through. The pretzels are phenomenal fresh out of the oven.
Think ahead.

Proverbs 3:5-6
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

mean wrote: That's great, I hope they keep digging it. The (possible) problem is that it sounds like people in general tend to gravitate toward whatever the new hotness is and abandon the old hat as soon as there's something new. Will P&L continue to draw suburban folks when a "new-urbanist" "lifestyle center" opens up closer to them with 80% of the same tenants? We'll see.
This is something that worries me as well. My gang has gravitated from DT places to Northland places, to P&L, now they are going to some place in south county on Lackmann Road-I suspect there is a new place there.
Now gee-I'm thinking of some piercings and tatoos just for P&L :lol:
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

rhine wrote: So here's my anecdotal P&L old fart story...

Went there with a friend two Fridays ago after catching the Royals on the big screen at the 810 Zone on the Plaza.There was a big line just to get frisked to get in the west side. We were about 100 people back when some guy walks up and grabs me and my friend out of the line and whisks us past all of the onlooking 20 somethings wondering what kind of juice these guys had, and security.  :x
Of course, me being a middle aged woman, I might have enjoyed the frisking :lol:
Apparently if you are obviously over 30, they give you the A-list treatment.  I didnt think I looked that "old", but I guess you can't forever pass for 20 something when you are closer to 40.  8)  Not a striped shirt between us either. The whole area was rocking that night, art fair just got out, and everywhere was packed and lines to get in. We ended up at the only place without lines at the time, Flying Saucer about the time the storm rolled through. The pretzels are phenomenal fresh out of the oven.
Hilarious!! I hope you used it for the full effect! Maybe they thought senior citizens couldn't stand in line that long 8)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

OK, this is not first hand, but close.  Last night at a meeting, an acquaintance told me that her friends father was at the P&L last week, with two men he was doing business with.  It was early evening, they had shed the coats and ties and were going to check out the Living Room.

They went through the line and security scanned their drivers licenses with a handheld device, even though they were obviously well past 21.  After they scanned her fathers license the security personnel asked him to step aside for a moment.  KC police officers arrived immediately, put handcuffs on him and he was taken to jail, where his wife had to come downtown to bail him out.  He had a warrant out for him over two unpaid parking tickets.

The lady who told me this is credible and she is certain of her friends honesty.  This floors me.  The dress code bothers me, but P&L security working as an extension of big brother makes me ill.  I thought the scanners were simply a way of quickly and efficiently verifying birthdates and card legitimacy.

Can anyone verify that the scanners are capable of accessing a wants and warrants database?

BTW, a few weeks ago I was in line at P & L and a dreadlocked dude in front of me refused to let security scan his license on "constitutional" grounds and he was refused entry.  He chose to not enter.  I'm ready to join him.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Absolutely not true.  The scanners only verify age and to an extent verify that the DL's are legit and not fake.  They are in no way linked to any police or databases. 

loftguy wrote: OK, this is not first hand, but close.  Last night at a meeting, an acquaintance told me that her friends father was at the P&L last week, with two men he was doing business with.  It was early evening, they had shed the coats and ties and were going to check out the Living Room.

They went through the line and security scanned their drivers licenses with a handheld device, even though they were obviously well past 21.  After they scanned her fathers license the security personnel asked him to step aside for a moment.  KC police officers arrived immediately, put handcuffs on him and he was taken to jail, where his wife had to come downtown to bail him out.  He had a warrant out for him over two unpaid parking tickets.

The lady who told me this is credible and she is certain of her friends honesty.  This floors me.  The dress code bothers me, but P&L security working as an extension of big brother makes me ill.  I thought the scanners were simply a way of quickly and efficiently verifying birthdates and card legitimacy.

Can anyone verify that the scanners are capable of accessing a wants and warrants database?

BTW, a few weeks ago I was in line at P & L and a dreadlocked dude in front of me refused to let security scan his license on "constitutional" grounds and he was refused entry.  He chose to not enter.  I'm ready to join him.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Huh? Either someone is lying for no apparent reason...or someone is out of the loop as to what the scanners are capable of. Which is it?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCTigerFan wrote: Absolutely not true.  The scanners only verify age and to an extent verify that the DL's are legit and not fake.  They are in no way linked to any police or databases. 

Yeah - no credibility - Half the time the police can't even get accurate warrant information in the patrol car using equipment that's actually tied to the databases.  

Plus does anybody believe that KCPD dispatch is going to move fast enough to get officers to respond within minutes for a couple of unpaid parking tickets?  When hell freezes over.  They can't turn around dispatches that fast when bodies are on the ground.
loftguy wrote: BTW, a few weeks ago I was in line at P & L and a dreadlocked dude in front of me refused to let security scan his license on "constitutional" grounds and he was refused entry.  He chose to not enter.  I'm ready to join him.
Perhaps Mr Dred should pick up a copy of the constitution sometime.  I am as big a defender of civil liberties as the next guy but there is absolutely nothing in there to prohibit a private property owner from requiring people coming onto their property to provide identification (and or background check) prior to admittance and nothing to prohibit them from cooperating with police.  
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my money is on those scanners don't access police information.  sounds urban legend-y to me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I am well aware of the scanners and their capabilities. 
kcmetro wrote: Huh? Either someone is lying for no apparent reason...or someone is out of the loop as to what the scanners are capable of. Which is it?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Even if it were true - are we suppose to feel sympathy for a guy suffering the public embarrasment of arrest after attempting to abscond from his traffic violations?  Newsflash - if you don't pay your tickets, you may be arrested!  It clearly states this right there on the bottom of the ticket.  
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Even if it were true - are we suppose to feel sympathy for a guy suffering the public embarrasment of arrest after attempting to abscond from his traffic violations?  Newsflash - if you don't pay your tickets, you may be arrested!  It clearly states this right there on the bottom of the ticket.  
But P&L brownshirt thugs shouldn't have that jurisdiction. 

Really, it's like me doing a citizen's arrest on you for speeding.  Your resonse would be, "Yeah I was speeding but YOU don't have authority"
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Maitre D wrote: But P&L brownshirt thugs shouldn't have that jurisdiction. 
i really can't believe they do...  and yeah, i read the whole post.  i just don't believe it, sorry...  it's unfair to put down the venue without knowing if the story is true or entirely accurate.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

they should have just tazed him. 

(T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: Really, it's like me doing a citizen's arrest on you for speeding.  Your resonse would be, "Yeah I was speeding but YOU don't have authority"
The security guards didn't arrest him.  A more apt analogy would be if you knew your brother in law had warrants out and when they came over to visit you snuck into the other room to call and tip the police.  "sorry bro, they must have followed you here . . . "  :)