OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 11:26 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by anonkcmo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55 pm


User avatar
KC_JAYHAWK
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:33 am
Location: Waldo

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am

One big new tower would be nice though, especially on the lot north of the Sprint Center. Something like the Devon Energy Tower in OKC would be beautiful and really add balance to the skyline. Three Light also needs to get built because the skyline looks off without it.

nickyrosstheboss
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by nickyrosstheboss » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 pm
Guess I'd take 19 10 story buildings over 1 100 one is what I was thinking
I 100% agree :)

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6170
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by shinatoo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am

nickyrosstheboss wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 pm
Guess I'd take 19 10 story buildings over 1 100 one is what I was thinking
I 100% agree :)
Ditto!
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am

Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by flyingember » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am

beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am
Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.
Why can't we talk about both?

It's not like there's only one developer downtown.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am

flyingember wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am
beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am
Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.
Why can't we talk about both?

It's not like there's only one developer downtown.
Because it would take every developer in town working nonstop my entire lifetime to fill the number of parking lots we have downtown. There are that many.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by flyingember » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am

beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am
flyingember wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am
beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am
Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.
Why can't we talk about both?

It's not like there's only one developer downtown.
Because it would take every developer in town working nonstop my entire lifetime to fill the number of parking lots we have downtown. There are that many.
One, we'll never fill every parking lot
Two, wouldn't that mean we shouldn't wait on the East Village and should instead not do what you say?

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 am

I get from your posts that you want a tower to change the skyline look of downtown or perhaps have it as a badge of honor that we are making progress rebuilding here. But, what will be a true sign of success and spur additional growth is more people, more vibrancy, walkability, activity and increased amenities. These happen at the street mostly. It needs to feel like a downtown. Right now it might feel that way on a few blocks at a few times of the day. It needs to spread so when you start to explore around the next block there is actually something there. Focusing on the look from the Liberty Memorial shouldn’t be a priority.

macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Portland

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by macnw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Just think about Washington DC. Max height is 10-12 stories in the city itself. But there are blocks and blocks of 10 story buildings and there is no lack of street activity

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

The fuck are you guys even talking about. East village development is very different than CBD development.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by flyingember » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm
The fuck are you guys even talking about. East village development is very different than CBD development.
The East Village is inside the CBD........

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm

flyingember wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm
The fuck are you guys even talking about. East village development is very different than CBD development.
The East Village is inside the CBD........
Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.

The point remains - they're different neighborhoods with different developments goals.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14346
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by GRID » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:36 pm

I get what everybody is saying about filling in the parking lots, but KC could use a new 40-50 story tower just to change up the skyline a bit. I mean, the skyline really has not changed drastically in decades. A new tall building would give the skyline and the image of the city a little attention. One or two buildings that are 35-45 stories is not going to have that much of an impact on building out parking lots.

It's not a huge deal, but a new actual skyscraper would be nice. If Cerner was not building single use fortress that the public can not even drive through without trespassing, then KC could have several skyscrapers going up right now. (or the entire east village built out).

I don't see KC getting anything tall though. Not for at least another 30 years anyway. Gotta have some big companies that want to be downtown and KC's big companies are not interested.

I think the Strata tower looks great.

However, that youtube video's descripton says:

"The first Class A Office high-rise multi-tenant building in Kansas City
in the last 91 years offers varies sized floor plates available for lease
over 16 stories"

I don't think it's been 91 years lol. But it has been since 1991. Regardless. it's not very flattering to KC to keep mentioning that downtown KC has not seen an office tower go up for decades and the one that finally goes up is just a 16 story 300,000 sq ft building which is relatively small. The people that are promoting this building should be promoting the city without mentioning how slow downtown has been growing for 30 or 90 years.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm
Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.
Yeah, the Financial District that doesn’t have a single financial company...that I can think of.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Do any construction companies in town even have the ability to build a high rise? What is the highest crane in town? I assume you’d need to bring in a crane that would attach to the exterior of the building and rise as the building goes up?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28951
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14346
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by GRID » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.
Agree. It would be a "want" for sure. Hopefully these few new construction office buildings actually happen and happen quickly and they lead to more activity.

Downtown KC has recently lost over 3 million sq ft of office space to re-purposing for other uses so hopefully new space will start to snowball like residential did after One Light opened.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm
Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.
Yeah, the Financial District that doesn’t have a single financial company...that I can think of.
If someone wants to give me an approved list of neighborhood names, go. You guys are some pedantic motherfuckers.

Doesn't UMB own like three buildings there? I give up

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm

GRID wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm
KCPowercat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.
Agree. It would be a "want" for sure. Hopefully these few new construction office buildings actually happen and happen quickly and they lead to more activity.

Downtown KC has recently lost over 3 million sq ft of office space to re-purposing for other uses so hopefully new space will start to snowball like residential did after One Light opened.
That's also not what I'm arguing. Kansas City needs spec office space at higher volume.

You can advocate for both whatever east village is and whatever this is at the same time.

At the moment they're both vapor.

Post Reply