OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Five Light

Post by FangKC »

I like the design overall. I wish they would do better with the exterior of the parking levels though.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TrolliKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:46 pm Image
I think this will look great. Reminds me of something you would see in New York City in terms of design. How tall will this be? I'm thinking around 350FT but I could be wrong.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

That is my rough guess based on HR Block's height of ~236 w/ 17 stories.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Strata

Post by beautyfromashes »

I wish/hope they can find a way to convert the parking levels to office/residential levels in the future. Perhaps, instead of sloped whole levels just ramps from one to the next that could be removed at a later time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was just reading this before I read your post beautyfromashes.

We Need to Design Parking Garages With a Car-less Future in Mind

https://www.citylab.com/design/2013/11/ ... ture/7583/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

This is spot on:
“His three key elements to an adaptable garage design are flat floors, comfortable floor-to-ceiling heights, and enough loading capacity (in other words, strength) to support another structural use.”
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:59 pm This is spot on:
“His three key elements to an adaptable garage design are flat floors, comfortable floor-to-ceiling heights, and enough loading capacity (in other words, strength) to support another structural use.”
Wasn’t the Copaken garage in the Crossroads built with that in mind?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by normalthings »

Can the mods merge this thread and the 5 Light thread under the new official name of the project?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The more I look at the design, the more it reminds me of a more advanced One Light. I still like it though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow, I really like this design. I think it's perfect for the location. Putting the garage up above the retail keeps the street interaction intact and increases the height of what would otherwise be a rather small office tower. The design is something very new and different for downtown. Looks like a really nice infill project.

The incentives are pretty aggressive, but I think this is what it will take to get some spec office space constructed downtown. If it's successful, it could easily lead to some other new construction such as the tower near Sprint Center.

Is Copaken coming around and trying to step up a bit? I'm really surprised that they actually built one residential tower and are starting another and they seem to be aggressively trying to get some office space built now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 pm Wow, I really like this design. I think it's perfect for the location. Putting the garage up above the retail keeps the street interaction intact and increases the height of what would otherwise be a rather small office tower. The design is something very new and different for downtown. Looks like a really nice infill project.

The incentives are pretty aggressive, but I think this is what it will take to get some spec office space constructed downtown. If it's successful, it could easily lead to some other new construction such as the tower near Sprint Center.

Is Copaken coming around and trying to step up a bit? I'm really surprised that they actually built one residential tower and are starting another and they seem to be aggressively trying to get some office space built now.
1. Design is nice. It would have been preferred if they could have added a few levels of rsedential directly under the office tower. It would have improved the view from the north. Over all, I am impressed that Copaken is following through on some pretty unique designs.

2. The incentives help show the true cost of “free parking”.

3. There are many factors in action here a number relocations we barely missed out on, very strong KCADC and Port KC support, etc
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I don’t understand the call for residential. What company wants people bringing their groceries through their lobby or moving their new bed in the elevator? It’s a corporate tower. BTW, it will be fully leased before completed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Separate entrances, lobbies, and elevators solve that problem.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:06 pm Separate entrances, lobbies, and elevators solve that problem.
For just a couple floors of apartments on a small floor plate with retail already established along the entire front? I don’t see it.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Strata Tower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This is a very crappy attempt at adding into the skyline. It's hard to do with the rendering so I guesstimated the height with 1201 Walnut and H&R Center. My guess is 350FT but I may be off.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If they ever build four light, it won't matter anyway, It will be behind the wall. But Main street will become quite the urban canyon in the loop.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:24 am If they ever build four light, it won't matter anyway, It will be behind the wall. But Main street will become quite the urban canyon in the loop.
A few things...
- 4 Light won't happen for some time.
- If 4 Light does happen, I would hope that they put the tower part on the lot portion so it blocks the President Hotel. Along main should be something of no more than 8 floors to belnd in better.
- If 4 Light does happen, and they plan to go with the original plan, I could see them knocking some floors off of the design whcih would allow this new building to show.
- Even if the height is retained and my ideas do not come true (whcih I am sure of), this tower will look great when viewed form other angles and, as you said, the urban canyon will be quite impressive.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The upper floors will have sick views of the top of the Power and Light Building at night.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thank you Chris Stritzel and Last Gentleman. Its odd that all the mid rise towers built in the south loop this century are in the same height range. The foothills of DT. Glad Copaken did not put this at 12th and Grand, still hoping for a real skyscraper there someday.