OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by anonkcmo »

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

One big new tower would be nice though, especially on the lot north of the Sprint Center. Something like the Devon Energy Tower in OKC would be beautiful and really add balance to the skyline. Three Light also needs to get built because the skyline looks off without it.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 pm Guess I'd take 19 10 story buildings over 1 100 one is what I was thinking
I 100% agree :)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

nickyrosstheboss wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 pm Guess I'd take 19 10 story buildings over 1 100 one is what I was thinking
I 100% agree :)
Ditto!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.
Why can't we talk about both?

It's not like there's only one developer downtown.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am Actually build out East Village, then we can talk about a tower. Parking lots for days.

Because it would take every developer in town working nonstop my entire lifetime to fill the number of parking lots we have downtown. There are that many.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am
flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am

Because it would take every developer in town working nonstop my entire lifetime to fill the number of parking lots we have downtown. There are that many.
One, we'll never fill every parking lot
Two, wouldn't that mean we shouldn't wait on the East Village and should instead not do what you say?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I get from your posts that you want a tower to change the skyline look of downtown or perhaps have it as a badge of honor that we are making progress rebuilding here. But, what will be a true sign of success and spur additional growth is more people, more vibrancy, walkability, activity and increased amenities. These happen at the street mostly. It needs to feel like a downtown. Right now it might feel that way on a few blocks at a few times of the day. It needs to spread so when you start to explore around the next block there is actually something there. Focusing on the look from the Liberty Memorial shouldn’t be a priority.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Just think about Washington DC. Max height is 10-12 stories in the city itself. But there are blocks and blocks of 10 story buildings and there is no lack of street activity
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The fuck are you guys even talking about. East village development is very different than CBD development.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm The fuck are you guys even talking about. East village development is very different than CBD development.
The East Village is inside the CBD........
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm The fuck are you guys even talking about. East village development is very different than CBD development.
The East Village is inside the CBD........
Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.

The point remains - they're different neighborhoods with different developments goals.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I get what everybody is saying about filling in the parking lots, but KC could use a new 40-50 story tower just to change up the skyline a bit. I mean, the skyline really has not changed drastically in decades. A new tall building would give the skyline and the image of the city a little attention. One or two buildings that are 35-45 stories is not going to have that much of an impact on building out parking lots.

It's not a huge deal, but a new actual skyscraper would be nice. If Cerner was not building single use fortress that the public can not even drive through without trespassing, then KC could have several skyscrapers going up right now. (or the entire east village built out).

I don't see KC getting anything tall though. Not for at least another 30 years anyway. Gotta have some big companies that want to be downtown and KC's big companies are not interested.

I think the Strata tower looks great.

However, that youtube video's descripton says:

"The first Class A Office high-rise multi-tenant building in Kansas City
in the last 91 years offers varies sized floor plates available for lease
over 16 stories"

I don't think it's been 91 years lol. But it has been since 1991. Regardless. it's not very flattering to KC to keep mentioning that downtown KC has not seen an office tower go up for decades and the one that finally goes up is just a 16 story 300,000 sq ft building which is relatively small. The people that are promoting this building should be promoting the city without mentioning how slow downtown has been growing for 30 or 90 years.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.
Yeah, the Financial District that doesn’t have a single financial company...that I can think of.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Do any construction companies in town even have the ability to build a high rise? What is the highest crane in town? I assume you’d need to bring in a crane that would attach to the exterior of the building and rise as the building goes up?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.
Agree. It would be a "want" for sure. Hopefully these few new construction office buildings actually happen and happen quickly and they lead to more activity.

Downtown KC has recently lost over 3 million sq ft of office space to re-purposing for other uses so hopefully new space will start to snowball like residential did after One Light opened.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.
Yeah, the Financial District that doesn’t have a single financial company...that I can think of.
If someone wants to give me an approved list of neighborhood names, go. You guys are some pedantic motherfuckers.

Doesn't UMB own like three buildings there? I give up
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.
Agree. It would be a "want" for sure. Hopefully these few new construction office buildings actually happen and happen quickly and they lead to more activity.

Downtown KC has recently lost over 3 million sq ft of office space to re-purposing for other uses so hopefully new space will start to snowball like residential did after One Light opened.
That's also not what I'm arguing. Kansas City needs spec office space at higher volume.

You can advocate for both whatever east village is and whatever this is at the same time.

At the moment they're both vapor.