H&R Block's Second Tower?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by longviewmo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:07 pm

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?p=463677#p463677. It's not too hard to imagine with how the building looks.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:16 am

I recall it being said by people who were around at the time UMB built it's new bank at 11th and Walnut that the building was designed so that additional floors, or an office tower, could be constructed on top of part of the existing building. That however assumes that UMB would be adding a lot of additional staff. It is probably unlikely at this point they would, since banking operations have gotten incredibly efficient through technology at growing the bank without adding employees. Of course, UMB could vacant any of their other buildings and consolidate staff in a new building, or buy another bank and bring some of those employees into an expanded building.

I found this on the ASAI Architecture and PGAV Architects site for the UMB Building.
UMB Headquarters Building -- On a prominent site at the heart of Kansas City's central business district, 360,000 SF mixed use regional bank corporate headquarters building and is master planned for expansion in the future to 630,000 SF.
http://www.asaiarchitecture.com/port3.htm

H&R Block is probably unlikely to build a second tower for their own staffing needs. They could however exercise their building rights to build another office building to rent out. I'm guessing though that they will give up their air rights and Cordish will build either some office space there, or another apartment building. But it could be 20 years out before any of that happens. If they do another apartment building, it would probably be the last one to be built, since Two, Three, and Four Light are all easier builds. They would be constructed on existing surface lots. Any apartment building placed on top of existing retail buildings at 11th and Main would be disruptive to those businesses. So only continued demand would warrant going that route.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by moderne » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 am

The UMB tower was not to be built on top of the existing structure but at the north end of the block with a tear down of the buildings at 10th and Walnut and Grand. It was to be 25 floors and covered in the same flame color granite, quite handsome.

Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Eon Blue » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:43 am

moderne wrote:The UMB tower was not to be built on top of the existing structure but at the north end of the block with a tear down of the buildings at 10th and Walnut and Grand. It was to be 25 floors and covered in the same flame color granite, quite handsome.
That would have been another architectural tragedy - sacrificing buildings to avoid building on parking lots.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:46 pm

[quote="moderne"]The UMB tower was not to be built on top of the existing structure but at the north end of the block with a tear down of the buildings at 10th and Walnut and Grand. It was to be 25 floors and covered in the same flame color granite, quite handsome.[/quote

Note to everyone: If a Kemper ever pulls a building permit, pay close attention to what is intended.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:26 pm

At this point though, it would probably be easier, and cheaper, for UMB to build a new building on the block of 10th, 11th, Grand, McGee. They already own it, and it's completely cleared of buildings.

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:44 pm

I'll be damned! Thanks guys! :D

mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Recently saw a promo video for a possible tower on this site (directly west of H&R block tower). Won't be a new tallest or anything, but would certainly be a nice/unique addition to our skyline. I don't know any additional details or likelihood of the project happening, hoping the video is released sometime soon!

Also, to shoot down any rumors, the proposed tower was NOT in the "Light" series! :)

Chris Stritzel
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chris Stritzel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:08 pm

mgh7676 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm
Recently saw a promo video for a possible tower on this site (directly west of H&R block tower). Won't be a new tallest or anything, but would certainly be a nice/unique addition to our skyline. I don't know any additional details or likelihood of the project happening, hoping the video is released sometime soon!

Also, to shoot down any rumors, the proposed tower was NOT in the "Light" series! :)
Where did you see the video? H&R Block's offices?

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Chris Stritzel wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:08 pm
mgh7676 wrote:

If it’s what was heard earlier this year, this video is showing a new Cordish involved hotel on the site of HR Block Tower 2. The old timeline from early this year had been to announce and potentially even break ground this year. That changed when the city balked at 3 Light incentives.

Chris Stritzel
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chris Stritzel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:24 pm

normalthings wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote:
mgh7676 wrote:

If it’s what was heard earlier this year, this video is showing a new Cordish involved hotel on the site of HR Block Tower 2. The old timeline from early this year had been to announce and potentially even break ground this year. That changed when the city balked at 3 Light incentives.
If it was earlier this year, then Cordish should've announced anyway. I wonder if it would be a Live! Hotel. Not one like in St. Louis that is By Loews but Cordish's own upscale version. There really shouldn't be a need for incentives for this but I don't know what goes on in Cordish's mind.

mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Must have been a different video, a hotel is not a part of this plan. I can't say any additional details, but watch for more information in the near future!

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Chris Stritzel wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:24 pm
normalthings wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote:

If it was earlier this year, then Cordish should've announced anyway. I wonder if it would be a Live! Hotel. Not one like in St. Louis that is By Loews but Cordish's own upscale version. There really shouldn't be a need for incentives for this but I don't know what goes on in Cordish's mind.
IIRC, it was said that the issue with the city pushed that project on to the back burner.

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm

mgh7676 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Must have been a different video, a hotel is not a part of this plan. I can't say any additional details, but watch for more information in the near future!
Very likely. The 3 Light incentives issues with the city likely killed the hotel plan. They probably wanted a number of incentives for any hotel project.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:59 pm

normalthings wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm
mgh7676 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Very likely. The 3 Light issues with the city likely killed the hotel plan.
If there is money to be made it would happen... they aren't backing out because of hurt feelings.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:04 pm

This is the spec office tower that has been discussed forever. Not a "light", as indicated earlier.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 pm

I wouldn't think any project--office or hotel--on this site would need incentives because the parking garage underneath it is already built, and old infrastructure issues were taken care of when the site was prepared for the retail building. Those are normally the two main issues for which developers seek financial help. The other being demolishing buildings, which was already done years ago.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kboish » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Parking garage is not built. It is prepped for a parking podium

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kboish » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm

I'll correct my statement and say <200 parking spaces are built in the existing garage and they all belong to the Hotel President. The footprint is ready for like another 700 spaces on top of the existing garage.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:03 pm

OK, I didn't know the parking garage was not built large enough for a future tower.