Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Now are some of the bouncers in p&l and every club?? I'll buy that.
And those P&L bouncers are employed by Cordish and Cordish is responsible for their actions. So if the bouncers are discrimatory in their actions then Cordish is responsible for their actions.  This does not mean that Cordish itself is discrimatory but it allows the behavior.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

every club has those...I am all for cordish getting rid of those who do that.  That's not really the point here.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I think the course of logic would be . . . how can a dress code policy not be racist when it is applied by black owned businesses with exclusively black clientelle yet be racist when applied at a mixed race venue?  Same basic policy.  Same basic purpose.  Same basic effect. 
i get where youre going with that, but I've been into plenty "black" venues wearing things that I wouldn't think of going to the pnl with the "same dress code"  

and I also get the "some white youth dress like that too"  comments, and a lot of southern racists would call them n*ggers too. Due to few white people getting called n*ggers, is that word now not racist anymore?

damn near everything is race based rather people want to admit it or not, I'm just not the one to hide from the issues and sweep them under the rug and make excuses.  Maybe it's the bouncers, maybe it's cordish (this isn't the 1st time that cordish has been accused of this, it happened in kentucky also)  i'm just saying that it needs to be fixed.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: every club has those...I am all for cordish getting rid of those who do that.  That's not really the point here.
It is if Cordish allows the actions of the bouncers or does nothing to change their behavior.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It is if Cordish allows the actions of the bouncers or does nothing to change their behavior.
You think there is evidence that Cordish was aware that specific bouncers were engaging in impermissable behaviors and also evidence that they took no action after they were aware?  Thats what its going to take legally to make the case you are attempting to sketch out of your ass. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You think there is evidence that Cordish was aware that specific bouncers were engaging in impermissable behaviors and also evidence that they took no action after they were aware?  Thats what its going to take legally to make the case you are attempting to sketch out of your ass. 
I thought all the plaintiffs had to show was that Cordish enacted a vague policy and did not do enough to prevent it from being misapplied. I don't think they need knowledge that bouncers were being racist. I don't think ignorance is not a defense. I could be wrong.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I thought all the plaintiffs had to show was that Cordish enacted a vague policy and did not do enough to prevent it from being misapplied. I don't think they need knowledge that bouncers were being racist. I don't think ignorance is not a defense. I could be wrong.
So this policy is so vague that it rises to a level of negligence?  Even though it is pretty much the iron-clad standard for accepted dress codes?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i'm not sure it really matters if the "evidence" of racial discrimination at the P+L meets any particular legal threshold for discrimination.  it's a PR nightmare for Cordish, and many people in the community have already convicted the company (or the "P+L") as being racially exclusionary.  it's a lose for Cordish no matter what.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: i'm not sure it really matters if the "evidence" of racial discrimination at the P+L meets any particular legal threshold for discrimination.  it's a PR nightmare for Cordish, and many people in the community have already convicted the company (or the "P+L") as being racially exclusionary.  it's a lose for Cordish no matter what.
Shit, that PR cat was out of the bag within the first few months of the block being open.  Is caving and axing the dress code, letting in open thugs, and sitting back while we wait for someone to get shot in the living room somehow going to improve the PR mess they have already been in?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Is caving and axing the dress code, letting in open thugs, and sitting back while we wait for someone to get shot in the living room somehow going to improve the PR mess they have already been in?
no. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Whether or not people think Cordish is racist, doesn't really matter.  The people who go to the P&L will still go to the P&L regardless of any accusations of racism directed toward bouncers or club owners.  Most of the people at the P&L are white, 20-something men and women who like to party.  Nothing is going to change that, and nothing is going to change the fact that P&L will be the #1 destination in KC to drink and have fun for years to come.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cordish current dress code is practically the universal dress code for clubs....given that, why aren't all these other clubs being marched on?

people aren't ever going to let up on cordish....they have extended their hand to work to improve and community groups have denied them....at that point if I was cordish I would just go about my business because its obvious nobody is looking to actually make things better....oh and better bouncer training is a given.....

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:Shit, that PR cat was out of the bag within the first few months of the block being open.  Is caving and axing the dress code, letting in open thugs, and sitting back while we wait for someone to get shot in the living room somehow going to improve the PR mess they have already been in?
Why do I find myself hoping some white guy in a nice suit blows a few heads off in the living room?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: Why do I find myself hoping some white guy in a nice suit blows a few heads off in the living room?
Which will prove ? ? ? ?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That you can't discriminate your way to safety?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: That you can't discriminate your way to safety?

An isolated incident not involving a dress code doesn't really discredit that dress codes reduce violence. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't know whether dress codes reduce violence, I'm just afraid of white guys in suits. Haven't you seen Reservoir Dogs?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't even buy it reduces violence...its a minimum standard the business owner determines....isn't that their right?

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Absolutely, and I bet if you put up a sign that said NO FATTIES ALLOWED at the most prominent, supposedly premier entertainment district within 250+ miles you'd probably get similar negative publicity.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The world is so PC today that pretty soon 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' will be seen as discriminatory against rednecks.