Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Post by chrizow »

does Cordish attempt to tell the individual clubs who can and can't come into their establishments?  i am not surprised that they have chosen to adopt dress codes similar to the Live! block, but i didn't think that was b/c Cordish told them to? 

as for clubs in "top 25 cities," i am not really sure what kind of clubs you're talking about.  i can guarantee that a lot of bars/clubs in other cities prohibit baggy jeans/jerseys/etc. for exactly the reasons Cordish is banning them from the district.  there are also clubs, more exclusive ones, that have de facto dress clubs by only letting in fashionable folks. 

as for whether KC is a "cowtown" aka "NON PROGRESSIVE," i am not sure that Cordish or its dress code defines whether KC is or is not a "cowtown."  if a dress code at a handful of downtown bars tells you KC is "NON PROGRESSIVE," that sounds like your problem.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Cordish does not require any club to enforce a dress code.  Places like Lucky Strike enforce a national dress code for all their locations.  Same for McFadden's. 
chrizow wrote: does Cordish attempt to tell the individual clubs who can and can't come into their establishments?  i am not surprised that they have chosen to adopt dress codes similar to the Live! block, but i didn't think that was b/c Cordish told them to? 

as for clubs in "top 25 cities," i am not really sure what kind of clubs you're talking about.  i can guarantee that a lot of bars/clubs in other cities prohibit baggy jeans/jerseys/etc. for exactly the reasons Cordish is banning them from the district.  there are also clubs, more exclusive ones, that have de facto dress clubs by only letting in fashionable folks. 

as for whether KC is a "cowtown" aka "NON PROGRESSIVE," i am not sure that Cordish or its dress code defines whether KC is or is not a "cowtown."  if a dress code at a handful of downtown bars tells you KC is "NON PROGRESSIVE," that sounds like your problem.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chrizow wrote: does Cordish attempt to tell the individual clubs who can and can't come into their establishments?  i am not surprised that they have chosen to adopt dress codes similar to the Live! block, but i didn't think that was b/c Cordish told them to? 

Wow buddy,

Why don't you go Re-Read what I wrote.  You seem to have taken it as if I was implying a dress code is a bad thing, I was defending the dress code. 

Ex.1...I was stating that Cordish DID NOT and CAN NOT dictate the dress code at clubs, therefore being mad at any dress code in a privately owned business is foolish, and blaming it on Cordish and referring to it as a district wide dress code is even more foolish.

Ex.2...I too can guarentee that most major clubs and bars in other cities HAVE dress codes, which is why KC needs to stop complaining about the dress codes here.  Simply put, if you don't want to follow the dress code, then get the f*** out.  God gave you legs for a reason, now go fly a kite.

Ex.3...I did NOT say that HAVING a dress code makes us look like a non-progressive city..aka (CowTown).  I DID say that having the media and people complain (Bi***) left and right about a simple dress code at privately owned and operated businesses, makes us seem like a cowtown and a bunch of white trash red necks that need to wake up and get on with the times.

Do you need me to further clarify, or are we now on the same page?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

Ex.2...I too can guarentee that most major clubs and bars in other cities HAVE dress codes, which is why KC needs to stop complaining about the dress codes here.
Yeap I was in Reston, VA 2 years ago and we went to a club and they had a dress code. No sneakers and you had to tuck your shirt and if u do not comply they would kick you out of the club.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

KC dress code moves ahead

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 06123.html

About time, now a place for all of Kansas City! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hoghead

P&L

Post by hoghead »

Hold on to your wallet's and purse's the gangsta's are coming..............
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: P&L

Post by schugg »

Damn, I have not even made a night of it there yet.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Just out of committee - it hasn't actuall passed yet. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It's the compromise version though.  Doesn't quite lift everything.  But still, meddling where it's not needed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Make it for all businesses and I might be for it....this limiting it to only businesses received tax incentives makes it extra retarded.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Make it for all businesses and I might be for it....this limiting it to only businesses received tax incentives makes it extra retarded.
And extra prone to eventual litigation flame out. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

If it does pass, what are the expectations?

-No change in the clientele?
-the place is over-run by thugs?
-the atmosphere actually improves?

I could see a change in dress but it would be hard to imagine a Wesport situation because the drinking environment, parking etc... are much better controlled.   I've been down there a few times to have a few beers and rather enjoyed the environment which I thought was pretty mixed when it came to race.  
LenexatoKCMO wrote: And extra prone to eventual litigation flame out. 
I was wondering if Cordish would have a legal recourse.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's hope so.

yah another lawsuit the city has to defend...way to spend that money council.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: If it does pass, what are the expectations?

-No change in the clientele?
-the place is over-run by thugs?
-the atmosphere actually improves?

I could see a change in dress but it would be hard to imagine a Wesport situation because the drinking environment, parking etc... are much better controlled.   I've been down there a few times to have a few beers and rather enjoyed the environment which I thought was pretty mixed when it came to race.  
I doubt it has a lot of affect....and yes you are right, the district is already a nice mix of races, proving the point the dress code isn't about race.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

butter_breath wrote: KC dress code moves ahead

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 06123.html

About time, now a place for all of Kansas City! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This whole thing is bogus and a disgrace to our city.  I look forward to the day we rid ourselves of the Funk and his goonies.  There's absolutely nothing discrimatory (or race based) about the various dress codes enforced in and around the P&L district, and the businesses located in & around the district.  If stating that Dew Rags and White T's are not allowed is blatent discrimination towards minoritys, than I'm the leader of the Aryan Brotherhood.  Banning an object associated with a group of people is not discrimination, banning the group of people is...and the last I checked that wasn't what Cordish or any business operated in Kansas City is doing.  So this "New" city ordinance will effectively affect nothing.

...Here, does everyone want a laymans explanation?

Example of Discrimination:
Blacks (aka Negro, Black African, African American, Colored) are not allowed to wear a Dew Rag in the P&L District
*Why? Because its directed towards one group of people*

Example of Non-Discrimination (A dress code):
No one is allowed to wear a Dew Rag in the P&L District.
*Why? Because its directed towards every group of people*

So what's the big deal here?  Does nobody understand what the hell a dress code is, or WHO it applys to? (Not who you THINK it applies to, but who it DOES apply to)

WAKE UP KANSAS CITY!  Our Coucil is making a Mockery of us all.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Well, the city council has to do something. Apparantly they've solved the problems with our budget, crime, crumbling infrastructure, lack of development on the East side....this is now the most pressing item on their agenda.

Has it really come to this? People are up in arms and fighting for their rights to wear baggy clothes? What about health care, employment and education? Or the incarceration rate for black males? Those are fights worth fighting. But they are difficult to solve and it is much easier to be outraged over your right to wear your cap the way you want.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Personally, I cannot wait to walk into the American for dinner wearing a Do Rag, vintage KC Kings jersey and a pair of 70's short shorts.  &&&
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCTigerFan wrote: Personally, I cannot wait to walk into the American for dinner wearing a Do Rag, vintage KC Kings jersey and a pair of 70's short shorts.  &&&
I'm thinking a little something like this:

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: I was wondering if Cordish would have a legal recourse.
Lets see, an ex post facto restriction imposed on certain businesses by way of a 3rd party relationship between their landlord and the city, that arbitrarily treats similarly situated parties differently with essentially no public policy purpose to justify the distinction? 

Yeah, I think there might be something there that a litigator might find to work with . . .
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

wetpaint wrote: Well, the city council has to do something. Apparantly they've solved the problems with our budget, crime, crumbling infrastructure, lack of development on the East side....this is now the most pressing item on their agenda.

Has it really come to this? People are up in arms and fighting for their rights to wear baggy clothes? What about health care, employment and education? Or the incarceration rate for black males? Those are fights worth fighting. But they are difficult to solve and it is much easier to be outraged over your right to wear your cap the way you want.
NO...you're wrong.

Let's forget about the school district, abuse and poverty where these "thugs" come from and FOCUS ON CORDISH. Cordish is causing all the problem in this city.  

This town is absolutely brain dead to its absolute core. That's why it still has the horrible reputation it has. Nice place raise kids in the suburbs and nothing for anyone else. It's time to tear down everything and move to the 'burbs. Oh wait, that already happened over the last 30 years.