Jenkin's Building to be CONDOS!

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Jenkin's Building to be CONDOS!

Post by earthling »

flyingember wrote:
FangKC wrote:Here is a link to the floor plans for the retail, and the apartments on the upper levels.

https://clientportal.copaken-brooks.com ... =100001470
that's actually not a bad plan for the space available. one thing that's nice about the design is lots of natural light with all the windows.

they should partner with Ikea to show how you can furnish the space
Yeah, I like the plan for the layout. Talk about a unique highly intimate product to offer, with windows all around.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:
flyingember wrote:
FangKC wrote:Here is a link to the floor plans for the retail, and the apartments on the upper levels.

https://clientportal.copaken-brooks.com ... =100001470
that's actually not a bad plan for the space available. one thing that's nice about the design is lots of natural light with all the windows.

they should partner with Ikea to show how you can furnish the space
Yeah, I like the plan for the layout. Talk about a unique product to offer, with windows all around.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Those plans look pretty great!

As far as the abundant (transparent) windows and urban setting "Jenkin's Exhibitionist Apartments, Showing Soon!!"
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Is there anything stating what the rents might go for? I'd be very interested in a two bedroom.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

did this die?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mister816 wrote:did this die?
More likely it was never truly being worked on. Copaken maintains a long tradition of coming up with projects and then not finishing them.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

that sucks. I didn't read that Copaken was the company working on this. I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The time to have done it was when they were constructing the attached office building and garage--if they had moved the garage 6-10 feet to the east fronting Grand, they could also have made the apartments a bit larger. I don't know what the exact setback from Grand is, but there is a fairly large one compared to other buildings.

I never understood the reason for that setback. If they had added street trees when they built the garage, I could see doing it to allow for more room for the tree canopy, some landscaping, and perhaps some tables if there are ever cafes in the Bonfils Building. But there isn't one tree on that stretch. There are on the Walnut side.

swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Jenkins Building to be CONDOS!

Post by swid »

Copaken put up signs in the ground-floor windows saying that lofts are available, so...maybe this is a thing again?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Seems like it would be a strange place to live. Not much space to create a buffer from the parking garage - no sense of community at all. Not sure I see any redeeming factors other than the really convenient location.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Any news on this?
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I hope they figure out what to do with it. Even though most of the building is gone, it's still one of my favorite facades downtown
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

NB walnut between 12th and 13th (well, from 13th to the town pavilion garage entrance) has been blocked off for a cherry picker crane in front of jenkins. i walk this area a few times a day and haven't seen the crane in use, until today when the crane was extended up to the top floor near one of the jenkins building windows and you could hear a drilling sound. website still says no plan for construction or plan confirmation, though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Masonry repair, per Copaken Brooks.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

About 1/4-1/2 of the ground floor windows were shot out in last nights shooting. Being boarded up this AM.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Speaking hypothetically, could the garage behind Jenkin’s get demolished one day? How much of its structure overlaps with 1201 walnut’s?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The garage was built in conjunction with the Towne Pavillion, it's skybrigdges, and urban shopping mall scheme. 1201 Walnut was planned for a later date, similar to the Strata idea on its block.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:14 pm The garage was built in conjunction with the Towne Pavillion, it's skybrigdges, and urban shopping mall scheme. 1201 Walnut was planned for a later date, similar to the Strata idea on its block.
Are you saying the parking garage was constructed with the ability to support a high-rise at a later date?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I do not know if any of the garage supports the high rise, or if it was just designed to accommodate whatever support was needed for the high rise.
Where the lobby areas open up to the streets, there was a small open plaza in the 5 or 6 intervening years.