Cordish projects in other cities

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Cordish projects in other cities

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... lpark.html
A St. Louis aldermanic committee on Wednesday advanced $65 million in subsidies for Ballpark Village’s planned $220 million expansion.

The 8-1 vote, by the Housing, Urban Development and Zoning committee, sends an amended development agreement between the city and the St. Louis Cardinals and Cordish Cos. to the full Board of Aldermen.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

warwickland wrote:just to clarify, the office space in ballpark village phase two is a seperate project from this cupples area office bldg proposal which is also claiming to potentially be the first new office bldg since 1989. it's not cordish:

nextstl.com
This project is dead.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

For Phase 2, the Office Space has some interest among local businesses and companies, but nothing committed. However, I think the Office Portion of this phase will sit empty. Why? Because the massive 45 Floor AT&T Tower is going to be abandoned by time Groundbreaking comes along in August or September of this year. Retail on this site I am sure will do very well and the Residential Tower seems it have so many people wanting to live there that it may be 100% leased once leasing starts.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; not sure if this was posted but Cordish is doing Cleveland LIVE and this will be the signature tower.

http://www.starkenterprises.com/wp-cont ... s_iPad.pdf
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

When every mid-size city in the country has a downtown LIVE area of mediocre touristy blah, what will make our downtown LIVE area of mediocre touristy blah special?
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

mean wrote:When every mid-size city in the country has a downtown LIVE area of mediocre touristy blah, what will make our downtown LIVE area of mediocre touristy blah special?

Does it have to be?

What I mean by that, is although it's called the same, and owned by the same company, it doesn't necessarily need to stand out as wholly different. People don't avoid going to traditional downtowns across the country just because they all have the same sort of shops, same sort of bars, often similar or same architecture. They go because they are nice places to be, people enjoy being there. Because they are nice places, they become attractions by themselves. Much like our River Market and Wesport, which aren't wholly different from many other traditional neighborhoods across the country. But they are still attractive places to be.

If KC Live! And every other Cordish "Live!" Destination were like Wal-Mart, where almost every store is an exact replica with the same layout, same locations within the site etc... then it would in fact be boring.

But just because it is called the same thing as other cities, doesn't make it less of a nice place to be. Someone can't really say "I've seen one LIVE district, therefore I've seen them all" anymore than they can say "I've seen one Downtown, therefore I've seen them all".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote:When every mid-size city in the country has a downtown LIVE area of mediocre touristy blah, what will make our downtown LIVE area of mediocre touristy blah special?
It doesn't need to be.

Nearly every area plan or big development plan adds an outside entertainment area, wants "unique" shops, tries to be a lifestyle center or such. Basically everything copies everything else.

There's basically no special development in the country unless it's really old. Even the one of a kind monuments can be copied. The plaza copied buildings and details of Seville, Spain, for example.

Nearly every city has some kind of notable museum.

What will draw people is making it easy to get to those places an putting them together in a good way. It's not what, it's about access.

Even the outside friendly cities are easily copied. It can go to a dozen different cities for the mountains or the beach. Again, it's access that makes me pick one over the other.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Joking is officially dead.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Every downtown could use a mass appeal 'times square' even if highly homogenized. Bring the masses to P&L district and then many will discover the off-beaten path cooler shit in Xroads and RM.

But damn, wish Cordish would do something like that Cleveland building instead of the MCW (Monotonous Cordish Wall) we're getting with below avg materials.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm in Norfolk for a few days and our hotel is near the Waterside District -- a small Cordish project that renewed an existing water side development originally built in the 80s on the Elizabeth River. It's more on the scale of 4th Street Live! in Louisville. Tenants in common with KC are PBR and Chipotle, the rest are Blue Moon, Stripers (seafood), and some Guy Fieri thing that we didn't bother looking at. Strangely, the wine bar on the inside was never staffed on the two trips we made through there (like our courtyard?). There's also a temporary ferris wheel outside and a honkey tube that connects to a parking garage across fast-moving Waterside Drive.