Cordish projects in other cities

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cordish projects in other cities

Post by KCMax »

Work begins on Philly Live! entertainment site at sports complex
THE PHILLY LIVE! dream included a hotel, underground parking and a movie theater. The dream sprawled over 300,000 square feet, meant hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for the city, and more than 1,000 permanent jobs.

More than 3 years later, the Philly Live! reality is a 60,000-square foot cluster of nine businesses, enclosed; a 40,000-square foot outdoor event space, ideal for concerts; and a parking lot, all where the Spectrum stood.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, look at those surface lots! terrible! of course, many in KC probably wish we had such huge surface lots surrounding the P+L since there is "nowhere to park" down there...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

To be fair, those surface parking lots are already there and are used for the football and baseball stadium there. This would be like if we put P&L District adjacent to the Truman Sports Complex. This isn't really their urban downtown area. I don't really know why you'd do that, but whatever.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I was going to say, that can't be anywhere near any part of Philly I've ever spent a significant amount of time in. I don't even really know where the stadia are, other than that they're far enough south that I've never managed to walk that far.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ah, ok that makes a bit more sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

where is the cowgirl sign?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if this place will be dead when there aren't events going on.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ford-backed Toronto Woodbine Live! megaproject stalled

Baltimore-based The Cordish Companies, partnering on the project with the race track’s operator, told the Star in June 2010 that construction would start that fall, with the help of generous tax breaks from the city....

But, the Star has learned, no construction has started and no building permits have been sought. Rezonings for the project were granted four years ago.

Cordish is now telling the city it hopes to break ground in early 2012. The company wouldn’t comment on the project Wednesday. Its local partner, Woodbine Entertainment Group, seemed to suggest the delay was related to Cordish sorting out plan details with the city.
http://www.woodbinelive.com/

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Baltimore developer's eye on Coliseum site
At a mostly routine meeting in Riverhead Tuesday of a council charged with boosting the Long Island economy, its co-chairman dropped a morsel of news -- that he had succeeded in getting a Baltimore developer to renew interest in developing the area around the Nassau Coliseum.

Co-chairman Stuart Rabinowitz, president of Hofstra University, said during the three-hour meeting of the Long Island Economic Development Council that he had "solicited interest" from a developer in the 77-acre site around the Coliseum in Uniondale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From Sun Magazine: David Cordish Q&A
This month, he put the finishing touches on a $10 million upgrade to Power Plant Live!, and right now, he's building Maryland Live!, a controversial slots and entertainment complex near Arundel Mills mall, which should be finished next year. He's even trademarked the term "Live!" "If anybody else in the U.S. wants to do a Live! district, they can do it, but they better not call it Live!," he said with a smile. "We've copyrighted it."
Fix one Baltimore problem that makes this city a better place.

The big thing that would change Baltimore is a Maglev (short for magnetic levitation) train like they have in Japan, China and Singapore. It would take you from Washington to Baltimore in about 15 minutes. That would change Baltimore. Washington is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Baltimore is one of the cheapest -- either for office rent or home purchases. If we could connect the two cities quickly, Baltimore would blossom. All its problems would go away. They have Maglev trains all over the world, and the U.S. government has been talking about it forever. Go do it.
Yes, what would make Baltimore better is something that allowed its citizens to get away from the city as fast as possible!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

and don't you dare run it anywhere near our district!

they actually don't have maglev trains "all over the world". there are three and they're all in asia (not counting test trains and theme park rides).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev#Ope ... the_public
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New nightclub, restaurant coming to 4th Street Live
A large new nightclub and lounge called Mosaic will open at 4th Street Live April 13, the operators have announced.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cordish revises Center City plan, now pursuing $245 million project with city
Instead, company vice president Blake Cordish told me this week, the company now is working on a deal for a $245 million project that would include a 600-room, four-star hotel, 200 apartments and a specialty grocery store.
Cordish, which developed the Fourth Street Live entertainment hub, has been something of a lightning rod for criticism, and skeptics are sure to scoff at its effort to revive the long-delayed Center City.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:I wonder if this place will be dead when there aren't events going on.
I was just in Philly last weekend for the Royals...and thought the same thing seeing the beginning phases of that development open....but then thought between football, baseball, hockey, basketball games...along with concerts....they have a lot of events to draw from.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:
FangKC wrote:I wonder if this place will be dead when there aren't events going on.
I was just in Philly last weekend for the Royals...and thought the same thing seeing the beginning phases of that development open....but then thought between football, baseball, hockey, basketball games...along with concerts....they have a lot of events to draw from.
Was in at the philly series too, surprised I didn't see you, not a lot of KC fans there.

That complex stays busy and even when it's not busy, it would get some traffic from commuters using the lots, tourists and even some locals I'm sure from the surrounding neighborhoods.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

According to this article, St. Louis will be getting phase 2 of Cordish's Ballpark Village, which will include a 29 story apartment building and "the first new "Class A" office building in downtown since the 1980's."

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/cardinal ... /341339568

What is the St. Louis office stock (vacancy/occupancy in Class A office space) in comparison to KC's? It would be interesting to know if Cordish is eying getting into the office space game here as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Probably worse. They have the booming Clayton business district that's just as central as downtown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:Probably worse. They have the booming Clayton business district that's just as central as downtown
I heard somewhere that they have a 25% vacancy rate downtown.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

just to clarify, the office space in ballpark village phase two is a seperate project from this cupples area office bldg proposal which is also claiming to potentially be the first new office bldg since 1989. it's not cordish:

nextstl.com
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

theres some overlap with another thread, apologies. heres the ballpark village phase three rendering:

Image nextstl.com