OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by mykem »

Nice pic. :) Comes to show that they still have a lot of glass to install.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

mykem wrote: Nice pic. :) Comes to show that they still have a lot of glass to install.
Yeah but as stated by Morty the glass should be finished by the end of March. And if you have been viewing the construction daily like I have been, thay have been flying on installing that glass now.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Yeah but as stated by Morty the glass should be finished by the end of March. And if you have been viewing the construction daily like I have been, thay have been flying on installing that glass now.
That's great. I don't get to see the progress on a daily basis in person.
Also KansasCityCraka your pictures are great too. I hope you continue to update the board as well. :)
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

GRID wrote: I guess so.  But I'm talking more about the concourses etc.  The arena will feel transparent from the inside and out.

I'm not sure the idea of light in the actual bowl is a good idea most of the time.  They will need to figure out a way to shot off that light I think for many, if not most events to keep the light from being intrusive to special effects lighting, scoreboards, etc. 
There will be a motorized curtain, I believe, that they can use to cut out outside light from the bowl if needed. I think the natural light creates a nice effect in bowl and the way Sprint Center is being built it shouldnt be intrusive.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

More than half the glass is up, it is just not visible to most people as it is on the north and east sides.  When the glass goes up on the south drivers are going to be rubbernecking as they whiz through the 670 canyon.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

moderne wrote: More than half the glass is up, it is just not visible to most people as it is on the north and east sides.  When the glass goes up on the south drivers are going to be rubbernecking as they whiz through the 670 canyon.
I'm beginning to think that's the reason they saved it for last.  8)
"Let's get it!"
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Speaking of the arena glass, while driving by south on Grand today I noticed one of the lower glass panels on the west side is shattered.  The pane is still in place, but is nothing but a spider web of cracks.  Looks like there may have been a single point of impact.

Hopefully this is just a by product of construction and not a repeat of the KC Star building incidents.
Morty
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Morty »

GRID wrote: I'm not sure the idea of light in the actual bowl is a good idea most of the time. 
as others have pointed out, its not....night sporting events are really that troubled, but afternoon games and day events for kids like the circus and ice capades have issues with it.
GRID wrote: They will need to figure out a way to shot off that light I think for many, if not most events to keep the light from being intrusive to special effects lighting, scoreboards, etc. 
Big, thick, expensive blackout curtains.  I don't know the actual cost for this project but it is a noticable line item on an arena's budget.  Think about it, ever gotten an estimate for some serious velvet curtains for just one room of your house? whew :shock:
Morty
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Morty »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Yeah but as stated by Morty the glass should be finished by the end of March.
Hiya!

Any references to the timing for completion of parts of the project I made, were uttered while i was still employed by Mortenson on site.  I left the firm over 6 months ago and now live far far away and have no idea what other circumstances may have disrupted the project schedule.

By now, the only progress i see on the buildings comes from the photos that others are kindly posting. :D :D :D  It kind of makes me homesick...except for the snow.

BTW, on the topic of how the nation is talking about Sprint Center, Y'all see this one?

http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/2 ... ve-to.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How could you Morty?  We needed you! ;)
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Very funny Morty. It got me into a good mood today.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
not-from-kc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by not-from-kc »

Morty wrote: as others have pointed out, its not....night sporting events are really that troubled, but afternoon games and day events for kids like the circus and ice capades have issues with it.

Big, thick, expensive blackout curtains.  I don't know the actual cost for this project but it is a noticable line item on an arena's budget.  Think about it, ever gotten an estimate for some serious velvet curtains for just one room of your house? whew :shock:
Viewing the Sprint Center's Architectural drawing # A3.23 - ENLARGED NORTH TRANSVERSE BUILLDING SECTION, I noticed that there will be a motorized blackout curtain @ the Upper Concourse -North end zone behind the 15th row. The curtain system is called 'Motorized Brailing (Vertical). In the the Sprint Center Specs titled: '11000 - Equipment', Section 11070 "Blackout Curtains", the blackout curtain fabric material is:
              -18 oz. inherently flameproof Class A material in compliance with ASTM E-84.                            Stain and fade resistant.
                -Color: "Black"
                -Construction: Curtains shall be fabricated from full length cuts with no horizontal                        splices. All curtaining shall have full 50 percent added fullness and be pleated on 6 
                  inch centers with box pleats. Curtains shall be unlined. All curtains shall have heavy
                  duty 31/2" jute webbing triple stitched at the top. Satin chrome grommets shall be 
                  attached at 6 inch centers to the triple stitched top strapping. All bottom hems                          shall be 6 inches with heavy, #90, lead tape for weight.. All side hems shall be three
                  inches, sewn with thread.

The blackout curtain's track system is a Continental No. 62 Track; extruded aluminum; 1/8 inch thick minimum; I -beam configuration; straight and curved sections that are suspended by celing mount clips supported from building structure.
Last edited by not-from-kc on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I have no clue what you just said...that was like reading one of Tosspots posts.... :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i like saying "inherently flameproof" out loud.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I fully understand not-from-kc's post. These curtains will block out most or all of the light comming through the glass. This will make it virtualy dark enough to hold a night time type of show in the brightest of days.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

O.M.G. no way
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Looking a bit like Texas Stadium, but she's almost done!!
Attachments
DSC02018 (Medium).JPG
DSC02017 (Medium).JPG
"Let's get it!"
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

Sweetness.

Be sure to click on those pics to make them bigger.  (At least in my browser...)
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Man, forget naked chicks, those pictures are enough to get me hot and bothered  :shock:
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Brodees wrote: Man, forget naked chicks, those pictures are enough to get me hot and bothered  :shock:
So, I guess in other words Brodees, you are in love with the sprint center, or is it just lust???