Sprint Center lit up at night?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Sprint Center lit up at night?

Post by AJoD »

Is this all the time, or only during events?

I imagine this has been addressed somewhere, but I can't find it.

Thanks.
Last edited by AJoD on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Sprint enter lit up at night?

Post by ComandanteCero »

it's only partially lit up at night (or atleast it was when i passed by last night between 9:30 and 10)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Sprint Center lit up at night?

Post by KC12 »

I was walking around downtown last night at about 8:30 and the H&R Block Center was really lit up, is this going to be lit up every night?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC12 wrote: I was walking around downtown last night at about 8:30 and the H&R Block Center was really lit up, is this going to be lit up every night?
How was it lit up?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KC12 wrote: I was walking around downtown last night at about 8:30 and the H&R Block Center was really lit up, is this going to be lit up every night?
Yes, the building is programmed in such a way that the exterior lights remain on to allow the building to "glow" while the lights in the core are turned off late at night.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I would not want to see the utility bills on these buildings.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

anniewarbucks wrote: I would not want to see the utility bills on these buildings.
I love these observations.
KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC12 »

GRID wrote: How was it lit up?
Well, Every light was on in the building!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KC12 wrote: Well, Every light was on in the building!
the question was asked because there are lights on the outside of the building that not many have seen turned on.  they are similar to those on the marriott.  that's why it wasn't obvious by what you meant.  these other lights should be pretty spiffy.  if they're ever turned on.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

KC12 wrote: Well, Every light was on in the building!
H&R Block hates the environment.
KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC12 »

kard wrote: the question was asked because there are lights on the outside of the building that not many have seen turned on.  they are similar to those on the marriott.  that's why it wasn't obvious by what you meant.  these other lights should be pretty spiffy.  if they're ever turned on.
Yea I agree, that would look good.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

An article noted that the round flying Kansas Citian's art displays would remain on 24/7
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Gretz wrote: H&R Block hates the environment.
I know you're playing but I thought it might be a good chance to post this:
Awareness of the environment, and the impact we’re having on it, is growing all the time. It’s the cover subject of the May issue of Vanity Fair magazine, and the subject is a hot one on talk shows, in the papers and on the web. Throughout this project H&R Block and our vendors, contractors and suppliers have been conscious of the responsibility we all share to be good stewards of the environment, while creating a world class work environment for our associates at a cost conscience responsibility to our shareholders.

Designing, constructing, operating, and maintaining buildings involves large amounts of energy, water, and other resources and creates significant amounts of waste. The building process also impacts the environment and ecosystem surrounding the building site. Even after buildings are constructed, occupants and building managers face a host of challenges as they try to maintain a healthy, efficient, and productive work environment.

In addition to our continued practice of recycling paper, H&R Block and our construction and design partners have made many decisions that will, ultimately, be good for the environment as well as good for the health and wellbeing of our associates. Below are some of the environmentally responsible measures taken by H&R Block and our partners.

Redeveloping an existing urban site supports the "Smart Growth Area" movement. Environmentalists warn against abandoning "brown fields" in older communities, eating up the open space and prime agricultural lands at the suburban fringe, and polluting the air of an entire region by driving farther to get places.

Recycling construction materials and utilizing recycled content is another way H&R Block is doing their part to conserve resources. Recycling bins on site for scrap wire, metal, conduit, etc. are utilized by our contractors. The carpeting throughout the building is manufactured of 100% recyclable materials and the new workstations are 100% recyclable.

Conserving energy and water has been incorporated into the design of our new building. The exterior glass is what is called "High ‘e’ glass". This is a type of glass that reduces solar load, and thus reduces energy consumption. Electric faucets and low flow aerators help to reduce water consumption. One of the features that associates are bound to enjoy, while also conserving energy, is the heating and cooling system. The floors of the new building are raised, a design that allows for easier access to wires, cables, etc. but this is also where the heating and cooling ducts are located. Each workstation will have its own personal control for air flow. Not only is this ideal for individual preferences, but it is also efficient and healthy. Rather than taking air up to the ceiling and blowing it down, our new system will blow the air up. This makes heating and cooling more efficient (less energy used and thus less cost) and reduces the circulation of "community" air. The air you get will be clean, coming into your own zone, and blowing upwards for purification and circulation.

Our precast concrete walls, floors, and structural supports and structural double tees for the parking garage are from a supplier in Marshall, Missouri. Using local manufacturers reduces transportation costs and the associated environmental issues.

Including efficient operating design elements, such as a plate and frame heat exchanger on both the building and Data Center mechanical systems, allows the building to utilize an outside-air economizer cycle. This is generally in operation during the spring and fall months, when the temperatures outside permits use of outside air for ‘free cooling’. The building is designed to automatically shut down the majority of the chilling capacity and utilize 100% outside air for cooling, saving significant energy.

"I am happy to see the effort Block is making throughout this project to lessen our environmental impact", writes Natalie Smith, Senior Leave Administrator. "I know it's not easy for a Fortune 500 company to make "green" decisions that may impact the bottom line, but every little step we take in that direction will have a positive impact on our reputation in the community. I think most associates are happy to be a part of the company that is responsible for helping make that happen. Now we can be proud of the environmental efforts Block made too".

Throughout the process of creating a new, large workplace in the middle of growing urban, metropolitan Kansas City, environmental issues and shareholder concerns have been respected and considered. H&R Block is proud that these issues have played a part in our endeavor to create a work environment that is an exceptional showplace in Kansas City, both inside and out.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

PumpkinStalker wrote: An article noted that the round flying Kansas Citian's art displays would remain on 24/7
I have come to a conclusion about the flying Kansas Citian's. They are cheezy. What a way to show off such a great building than to have three big displays showing something that wierd. Looking down fourteenth from Walnut yesterday all of my attention was drawn to these wierd displays. I could not make heads or tails of what they were trying to show. I would have rather seen the fountains that were proposed early in the proposal process. I know that there is some water in this display but these round displays are just plain ugly to say the least.
Karlen89
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Karlen89 »

Ah, I dont like the displays at all...fly Kansas Citians? Who comes up with such crap.....oh well, they could be playing Sprint commercials non-stop on them? lol
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

anniewarbucks wrote: I have come to a conclusion about the flying Kansas Citian's. They are cheezy. What a way to show off such a great building than to have three big displays showing something that wierd. Looking down fourteenth from Walnut yesterday all of my attention was drawn to these wierd displays. I could not make heads or tails of what they were trying to show. I would have rather seen the fountains that were proposed early in the proposal process. I know that there is some water in this display but these round displays are just plain ugly to say the least.
Karlen89 wrote: Ah, I dont like the displays at all...fly Kansas Citians? Who comes up with such crap.....oh well, they could be playing Sprint commercials non-stop on them? lol
Whoa...good job Annie.  So I'm inclined to agree in part.  I think we could have come up with something a little more creative then the blurred images.  Maybe slow them down, give them detail since they are supposedly "actual" Kansas Citians.  Who are they? 

Or, better yet, come up with something just as unique, but half as weird.
snarf
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snarf »

They look like a cheap screen saver.  I think flying toasters would have been better :?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Or the Sprint neon lines. Anything besides those cheesy fast moving images.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

The original descriptions of the Sprint Center said it would change colors at night (presumably lit from the inside) but nothing yet. Anyone heard if this idea has been scrapped? Or just to come later? I think the idea came from one of the European arenas that alternates colors.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Downtowner wrote: The original descriptions of the Sprint Center said it would change colors at night (presumably lit from the inside) but nothing yet. Anyone heard if this idea has been scrapped? Or just to come later? I think the idea came from one of the European arenas that alternates colors.
I think I had heard that those plans were scrapped due to budget costs.  But, that might have been another light...  :-k
KC is the way to be!