Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by ColumbusParkian »

yeah, Cordish is sketchy as hell.

i could tell you stories....
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Friends of mine drove down to p&l on saturday night, prepaid their 2 bucks and proceeded to drink enough where they thought it would be smart to take a cab....returned yesterday to retrieve their car and were told since they didn't have a ticket it would be 15 bucks to get out.  My friend said they did it to the car in front of them as well.

Not a smart move on cordish part....idioitic and socially irresponsible.

Next time they should just park on the street for free.  :)    (As long as they come back and get it before 6am Monday morning!)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah next time they are said they are parking by me and walking with me. :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah next time they are said they are parking by me and walking with me. :)
There's been a few times that I've driven to Zoo Bar (due to bad weather, TK, not suburban laziness  :wink: ) on a Friday night and then remembered on Sunday night "Oh yeah, I need to go get my car!"  :D
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Jeeeeeeeeeez!!!!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 78431.html

The parking restrictions are particularly disturbing.  Wouldn't it make more sense to stage all those buses in any of the giant seas of surface parking lots rather than hurting all the small business in that huge area?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

those punks better spend some money :P
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote: Jeeeeeeeeeez!!!!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 78431.html

The parking restrictions are particularly disturbing.   Wouldn't it make more sense to stage all those buses in any of the giant seas of surface parking lots rather than hurting all the small business in that huge area?
the crossroads tried to sway the plan, but the city wasn't having it. they were very insistent that people needed to bused all over downtown instead of walking... "for security". buses will be parked all over christendom for the entire period.

why don't they leave all the streets open and ticket jaywalkers, eh?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Shouldn't The Lord be providing security?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

scooterj wrote: Shouldn't The Lord be providing security?
You forget that there is a devil out there.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: You forget that there is a devil out there.
Its got to be like x-mas come early for the panhandlers - what could be better than 20k catholic high school students on a Jesus high wandering around with their travel money in their pockets. 

I bet Grand Slam breaks all sales records this week. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I saw a street vendor @ 13th & Grand tell a group of kids he will be there 24 hours a day while they are there and welcomed them to KC...small stuff like that rocks.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Catholic Conference talk here...

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=16259.0

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

The city is really screwing over its own citizens on this parking scheme.    They've set it up to double as a cash grab.     The "emergency no parking" signs are not the large ones normally used.   They are very small, the same size and style as normal parking signs, and instead of being positioned prominently are simply fastened to the existing parking sign poles so that they blend in.   People who routinely park downtown would never notice them at all.

I saw a block of the restricted zone for an hour or so last night from a window and what I wsaw was parking control officers hiding in alleys and side lots.    When anyone pulled up and parked, as soon as that unlucky driver stepped into a business or walked around the corner, the officer would run out, quickly write a ticket, then run back into hiding.   It was ridiculous.  

According to someone I know who was working on a restricted block last night, no bus ever showed up on her block at all yet several of her customers were ticketed.   Her business was given no advance notice of this by the city, she found out only when someone complained about getting a ticket and then she started getting phone calls asking how to get there because it was a one-way street and the streets leading into it from the correct direction were closed.
Last edited by scooterj on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

agreed....poor idea by the city.  Hopefully those businesses make their voice heard.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

scooterj wrote: The city is really screwing over its own citizens on this parking scheme.    They've set it up to double as a cash grab.     The "emergency no parking" signs are not the large ones normally used.   They are very small, the same size and style as normal parking signs, and instead of being positioned prominently are simply fastened to the existing parking sign poles so that they blend in.   People who routinely park downtown would never notice them at all.

I saw a block of the restricted zone for an hour or so last night from a window and what I wsaw was parking control officers hiding in alleys and side lots.    When anyone pulled up and parked, as soon as that unlucky driver stepped into a business or walked around the corner, the officer would run out, quickly write a ticket, then run back into hiding.   It was ridiculous.  

According to someone I know who was working on a restricted block last night, no bus ever showed up on her block at all yet several of her customers were ticketed.   Her business was given no advance notice of this by the city, she found out only when someone complained about getting a ticket and then she started getting phone calls asking how to get there because it was a one-way street and the streets leading into it from the correct direction were closed.
I've heard reports to the contrary: that the signs were changed several days in advance and that they are red and highly visible. I don't believe that the city would be sabotaging people like that.

The parking enforcement folks are a different story, though. There needs to be an understanding that a lot of people are going to be visitors that don't necessarily know the nuances of parking downtown. Their goal should be order and stability on the streets, not revenue, but I'm guessing they are tracked by the number of tickets they write.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i encountered the "emergency no parking" signs yesterday on grand near thai paradise.  they were definitely visible, if you were looking, though they were weirdly small.  they were white with red text.  a parking cop walked into thai paradise and shouted across the room to the owner that "you better tell your customers that we're gonna start towing cars at 5pm!!!!"
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: i encountered the "emergency no parking" signs yesterday on grand near thai paradise.  they were definitely visible, if you were looking, though they were weirdly small.  they were white with red text.  a parking cop walked into thai paradise and shouted across the room to the owner that "you better tell your customers that we're gonna start towing cars at 5pm!!!!"

Well now that we only have 2 conventions a year that come to KC, we have to give them excelent service to keep them.

&
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

staubio wrote: I've heard reports to the contrary: that the signs were changed several days in advance and that they are red and highly visible. I don't believe that the city would be sabotaging people like that.
The block that I was on had no signs Wednesday.    The signs that came up Thursday afternoon were the exact size, shape, and color scheme as the existing parking signs and were simply taped over the existing signs.   Small white signs with red lettering.

They should have used the big signs on sawhorses that are used when they are genuinely trying to clear the street instead of trying to issue tickets.
Last edited by scooterj on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They use those signs quite a bit.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

a really good way to avoid parking hassles downtown is to bike, walk, or use public transit like people do in other cities.