Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by doc »

shaffe wrote: Couldn't you get your ticket validated at the end of your shift?  Or right at 11?
I think there's a misconception about validated parking.  Sometimes people just think it's free, but someone has to pay for it.  At my place of employment (downtown) we validate parking for visitors to our building.  At the end of the month, we get an accounting of all validated parking receipts collected, and we pay the garage the corresponding amount.  SO, the employer or the city or whomever still pays for validated parking -- which is intended for customers, not employees.  I'm not saying that's right or fair -- but again, employee parking is a benefit issue that should be taken up with the employer (restaurant), not the City or the garage.   If it's an employer that chooses not to subsidize parking for employees -- or they choose not to try and work out a deal for their employees with the city -- then maybe you don't want to work for them anyway.  My parking is $110 monthly; half of which my employer pays.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

I have never understood how parking works at P&L.  One time we were going to a concert and also having dinner at Makers.  The guy at the booth asked if we were going to the concert, stupidly we said yes, he charged us $10.00.  Next time they asked, we said we were having dinner at Raglan and he charged us $2
Really confusing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's confusing?  Give you a hint. You aren't going to a concert :)

The 2 buck parking is in effect no matter the event.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCPowercat wrote: That's confusing?  Give you a hint. You aren't going to a concert :)

The 2 buck parking is in effect no matter the event.
Precisely.  Patrons of businesses pay $2.  Concert goers pay $10.  Quite simple, really.

And yes, you are going to Cosentinos.  To buy gum.  And then to go drink at Flying Saucer.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Arena Parking Challenge (web site needs some work!)

Post by scooterj »

Ok, I'm trying to direct some out of town people on how to park at the P&L for lunch on Sunday.

I'd rather them park on the street for free but none of them want to walk (old people).  I'm using the P&L web site to try to figure out what the hours are for validation but it's useless.  Anyone know which garages have the $2 validation on Sunday and during what hours?

Here's the web page:  http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/in ... ap-parking

From the lower left corner:  “SCROLL OVER GARAGES TO VIEW TIMES & DATES”

Check it.  You mouse over the Cosentino's garage and it says it's the H&R Block garage.  Your mouse over the garage under the Live block and it says it's the Cosentino's garage and all of its details are "undefined".    You mouse over the H&R Block garage and it says it's the Indie Bar. 

You'd think they'd test before launching.  :)

(I just shot them an email reporting it.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was just on their site checking out the mardi gras thing and I read somewhere all day, every day  2 buck parking underneath the live block.  Not sure what page I saw that.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This has nothing to do with the arena, I'm just venting...

I was at an off-site meeting all day today.  I got back to my office at 5:45.  Since I just had to run in for a few minutes I parked on the street instead of the garage.  I pulled up to a spot near 10th & Walnut.  I had exactly one quarter in my car, so I popped it in the meter.... and it didn't register.

"What are the odds of the parking cops coming by in the next 15 minutes?" I thought, so went inside.

I returned a few minutes later to find the entire block ticketed, myself included.  :(

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Even though I will be chastised by TK for driving, had to share a parking story. 

Went to dinner tonight on the Blvd (and I drove...eeeek)...so as I come back DT swing by the grocery to pick up some things....get there at like 9:45 so not there more like like 10 minutes, get a parking card, get it validated......machine can't read it (unreadable card).  Push the button, attendant asked what the ticket says on the back and I explain the situation. 

Attendant says she's never heard of free parking at the grocery store and her script tells her it's reduced parking.  I explain I have used the garage before and parking is free with validation.  She asks my name and says she will ask about the free parking as she has never heard of that....ends up buzzing me out.

Uhhh...come on Standard Parking....train your people or type up better scripts.  Overall no big deal but silly overall.  Anyways...I have bananas now...whew.

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCPowercat wrote: Even though I will be chastised by TK for driving, had to share a parking story. 

Went to dinner tonight on the Blvd (and I drove...eeeek)...so as I come back DT swing by the grocery to pick up some things....get there at like 9:45 so not there more like like 10 minutes, get a parking card, get it validated......machine can't read it (unreadable card).  Push the button, attendant asked what the ticket says on the back and I explain the situation. 

Attendant says she's never heard of free parking at the grocery store and her script tells her it's reduced parking.  I explain I have used the garage before and parking is free with validation.  She asks my name and says she will ask about the free parking as she has never heard of that....ends up buzzing me out.

Uhhh...come on Standard Parking....train your people or type up better scripts.  Overall no big deal but silly overall.  Anyways...I have bananas now...whew.
WOW.  I've never run into that situation in the Cosentinos parking garage.  THAT'S JUST BANANAS!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Friends of mine drove down to p&l on saturday night, prepaid their 2 bucks and proceeded to drink enough where they thought it would be smart to take a cab....returned yesterday to retrieve their car and were told since they didn't have a ticket it would be 15 bucks to get out.  My friend said they did it to the car in front of them as well.

Not a smart move on cordish part....idioitic and socially irresponsible.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Not a smart move on cordish part....idioitic and socially irresponsible.
First - doesn't the city, not Cordish control the parking operations?  Second, name any significant city in America where you can get sloshed and leave your car overnight in a pay garage and not get dinged for the overnight rate. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

So if you prepay you don't get a ticket?  That's dumb.  But if they did get a ticket and loose it, you can't really blame Cordish.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lenexa...you are right, the city does own the garage....but its cordish who advertises 2 parking 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.....they don't give you a ticket on prepay nights (if they did and you validated, it would be 2 bucks even the next day I have witnessed that happen).

I just think they need to make that fact clearer to people...it turns people off from what I am hearing. 

Hey 15 is still better than a dui.  I think its bad pr for cordish....they want to blame the city instead of fight to make the policies clearer....I think its the wrong approach.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Lenexa...you are right, the city does own the garage....but its cordish who advertises 2 parking 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.....they don't give you a ticket on prepay nights (if they did and you validated, it would be 2 bucks even the next day I have witnessed that happen).

I just think they need to make that fact clearer to people...it turns people off from what I am hearing. 

Hey 15 is still better than a dui.  I think its bad pr for cordish....they want to blame the city instead of fight to make the policies clearer....I think its the wrong approach.

So she lost her ticket and expected to pay the minimum to house her mobile suburb creator downtown? $15/day is very reasonable for covered, downtown parking in a metropolitan area. It's not oak park mall and she needs to understand the policies before hauling her mobile suburb creator into the city next time if she's that cheap. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No ticket was provided.  If it is a prepay situation the parking attendant collects the 2 and keeps the ticket.  In these situations the exit gates are up.....in previous situations, the driver experienced an open gate on sunday as well or is simply let out after explanation.

My issue with it is the inconsistency and the fact Cordish advertises it as 2 dollar parking, all day, every day.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I do think the prepay thing causes problems - folks get used to one modus operendi and then you throw something differentat them causing problems.  I know I have been nearly caught up, as I hate carrying cash and you can use debit when the postpay option is in use, not so when they are taking cash prepay.  It would be nice if they could stick to one system.  I assume they do the prepay because they can load people in faster and avoid lines backing up? 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: No ticket was provided.  If it is a prepay situation the parking attendant collects the 2 and keeps the ticket.  In these situations the exit gates are up.....in previous situations, the driver experienced an open gate on sunday as well or is simply let out after explanation.

My issue with it is the inconsistency and the fact Cordish advertises it as 2 dollar parking, all day, every day.
24 hour parking downtown should not be free or $2. However, crown center shops has free weekend parking so maybe next time she should use that if she can't control her drinking. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I totally agree 2 is an amazing deal....again my issue is how the garage is adminstered and advertised....then when there are complaints, the advertiser claims they have no control. 

This is how they choose to handle it and that's great.  I think they will turn people off....but hey, I don't run entertainment districts for a living.....maybe some better information on their site and garages would help clear up confusion for people....

My purpose is to make this thing work for the most amount of people....I want it to be a smashing success...so if people I know have a complaint or difficulty, I think its best to share with cordish....they are free to handle it how they see fit.

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i agree that the whole constantly changing methodology is a big pain in the ass, but many unfortunately it's a necessary evil. On concert nights the garage has such a massive outflux of people (many of which who can't seem to grasp how to use the exit gate credit card machine properly), that they have to just let the gates stay open. Otherwise, you'd have people 4 floors below ground freaking out b/c they'd be at a standstill for hours as people paid one by one to hunt for their ticket and exit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree the prepay is needed on event nights....don't advertise its 2 bucks all the time...its not.  Clear sign when people enter saying overnight is 15....there is a sign but its impossible to read when entering.

tcordish collects the money but when customers question them they say they have no control...kinda wormy of them.  Overnight parkers don't always pay 15...this isn't hard to figure out and is easily the biggest bitch I hear from friends/family.