B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by loftguy »

OK, KC-wildcat, you're gonna make me expose a little secret, but don't tell anybody.  It's  code name was "Angel Rock Bar Civic Plan".

Former Mayor Barnes and the development community got together a few years ago with the realization that the P & L district would need help in order to succeed.  They also realized that in order to take care of the many needs of the city, greater tax revenues needed to be generated and that downtown had the potential to do this.

A plan was formulated to develop low to moderate income apartments (very cool places at very low rents) which would be rented predominantly to very attractive women, either beginning their careers or working in the service industries.  The plan was brilliant.  Men with money want to go where the beautiful women are, and so market rate apartments and condos are occupied by these higher income individuals.  Further, when given the opportunity, these males with significant disposable income provide these women of more modest means with meals and drinks at various downtown establishments.

As these mostly beautiful people are seen on the streets and in the public places of downtown, additional people make the decision to be downtown.  Whether they be just plain folks, empty nesters, divorcees, relocatees, and so on. 

Yet to come, the decision makers among the higher income population will ultimately insure that offices downtown get filled and that retail opportunities are developed.

As one of the pithier philosophers on this forum once observed, "You know your neighborhood has made it when your sidewalks are filled with beautiful womens".
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

loftguy wrote: OK, KC-wildcat, you're gonna make me expose a little secret, but don't tell anybody.  It's  code name was "Angel Rock Bar Civic Plan".

Former Mayor Barnes and the development community got together a few years ago with the realization that the P & L district would need help in order to succeed.  They also realized that in order to take care of the many needs of the city, greater tax revenues needed to be generated and that downtown had the potential to do this.

A plan was formulated to develop low to moderate income apartments (very cool places at very low rents) which would be rented predominantly to very attractive women, either beginning their careers or working in the service industries.  The plan was brilliant.  Men with money want to go where the beautiful women are, and so market rate apartments and condos are occupied by these higher income individuals.  Further, when given the opportunity, these males with significant disposable income provide these women of more modest means with meals and drinks at various downtown establishments.

As these mostly beautiful people are seen on the streets and in the public places of downtown, additional people make the decision to be downtown.  Whether they be just plain folks, empty nesters, divorcees, relocatees, and so on. 

Yet to come, the decision makers among the higher income population will ultimately insure that offices downtown get filled and that retail opportunities are developed.

As one of the pithier philosophers on this forum once observed, "You know your neighborhood has made it when your sidewalks are filled with beautiful womens".
Is this a joke?  I mean, it actually makes sense.  But, it can't be true. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

&
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

loftguy wrote: &
It's one hell of a theory, though.  I have plenty of friends who would move downtown if there were more hot, single women working and living down there.  haha. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"I sing of Oak, Walnut, Chestnut , Maple and Elm streets. ...Kansas City a buxom grange of wheat.  Could the strumpets from the stews of Corinth, Ephesus or Tarsus fetch a groan or sigh more quickly than the dimpled thighs of lasses from St Joseph or Topeka?"

Edward Dahlberg---Because I Was Flesh
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Awesome quote, Moderne.  I know I digress, but........

Edward Dahlberg---"What most men desire is a virgin that is a whore".

That made me sit up and pay attention in H.S. American Literature.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

As someone that lives in moderate income housing downtown, there's a lot of truth to that. Packed with hotties.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Tickets to the suites are now $25 instead of $20, not sure what the hell they are doing?  $15 goes toward food and beverage now. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Wow....when did this happen?  I went to the regular seats Friday and the cinema were still $20.  I mean, I always spend more than the $10 anyway, so I'm sure it won't be any different unless..... did they raise the prices of food/drinks?
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

I think the lady told me they raised the suite price last Fri or Sat?  The prices for beer and such seemed the same to me this time
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

A source told me a while back they'd likely play with the suite prices during the first year to try to find the level that sets the right balance of attendance and profitability.  Apparently there have been various camps within corporate advocating a number of pricing plans and they have each been holding their ground.

I doubt the $25 price will deter me much, since it's very hard to get anything food/drink-wise that doesn't come out to at least $15 a person with tip.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The problem is sometimes I go and don't want a meal.  $10 was still a good amount to get popcorn and a drink, or a couple beers, or a drink and dessert.  $15 pushes it more towards a just mealtime event.  I probably will see more movies in the nonsuite theaters.  Perhaps, they should have the late night movie be $20 and all other times $25.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Don't they always show the movies in the suites in non-suite rooms? Seems like they have been every time I've gone, but maybe not always.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

mean wrote: Don't they always show the movies in the suites in non-suite rooms? Seems like they have been every time I've gone, but maybe not always.
Nope - I've seen listing online where a movie is in the suites only.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

they seem to juggle the flix on a weekly, if not nightly basis.  I've seen a movie go from the suites to the regular, then back to the suites.
Oort Cloud
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Oort Cloud »

I would like to know how the AMC theatre got away with having no fire exits down in the front.  I was at a movie which was completely packed and the only available seats were in the very front row.  Not only are there no fire exit signs in front, there are no DOORS there.  It looks to me as if the only way out, if there's a fire, is UP those steep steps and out the back.  Meanwhile that's where the smoke would be...up.  Are fire exits in the front of a theatre not required?  I am sorry to be a nay-sayer, worry-wart, etc. but I am certainly not sitting anywhere in that theatre but near the very back.  And I want to know if that's 1) legal 2) safe.  Sorry that my first post on this board is negative, but I registered and had to wait months in order to ask this question.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Given that you can't smoke and there's nothing likely to catch fire, I'd personally not worry about it too much. Legality is a good question, though, since it wouldn't be surprising if muni codes had such a requirement just in case something crazy happened.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

grovester wrote: they seem to juggle the flix on a weekly, if not nightly basis.  I've seen a movie go from the suites to the regular, then back to the suites.
They seem to alternate every movie. One showing will be in the suites and then the next showing will be in the traditional and then alternate back again. Makes it difficult if you don't want to to the suites. You have to make sure you arrive the right showing. And if it is the last one for the night and it it in the suites then you are out of luck and have to drive down the the Cinemark on the Plaza.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

you could always just buy your tickets online and see how much they cost, since the prices are different for a regular theater or the fancypants one...
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

ColumbusParkian wrote: you could always just buy your tickets online and see how much they cost, since the prices are different for a regular theater or the fancypants one...
I don't have internet. And don't you have to pay a "convenience" fee to do that? I refuse to pay a fee to save businesses money by ordering online. You should receive a discount for ordering online in my opinion. Instead they make you pay extra. You can buy them on the phone though. Thing is I usually meet a friend down there and if we buy our tickets separately then we don't have seats next to each other unless one person pays for both tickets and pays the other one back.

Aside from all that I love the Mainstreet AMC, minus the Cinema Suites, which I hate.

I know this may come as a shock to many but in 2009 I probably saw 5 movies at Mainstreet AMC and may be 1 at Legends 14. Both theaters are really nice. Legends has more movies and more showtime to choose from.
But I can drive and park at the downtown theater in 5 minutes from my KC KS home and it takes about 15 to drive and park all the way to the Legends. Plus most my friends live in MO so to make it fair we meet downtown.

Anyways I try to spread my money around everywhere. Our metro has such a efficient Highway system the distance really is the smallest concern to most people in Kansas City. More important is if there is a compelling business we want to visit, and we will visit it typically regardless of it's location in the Metro. That is the key thing businesses need to understand about KC.

I guess that is what I really want to convey. A businesses location in the Metro KC area is really a secondary concern. Most important in a metro where most residents can be anywhere in 15 to 20 minutes via highway is weather you have a compelling reason for people to visit your business.
Last edited by justin8216 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.