B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by staubio »

NDTeve wrote: Wonder how long they'll have that promotion. If you're going for dinner...it really doesn't cost much extra.
I think that is the permanent intent. They just want to ensure they are getting the food sales to go with the suites, so it is a bundled price.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I think the burgers are decent enough, but I'll admit that I've eaten elsewhere and used my voucher just for drinks.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Gasp - no you didn't!  haha.  Once you have a beer or two and eat, we always end up spending more than the $10 voucher.  It is suckers like me they are after I think......
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Anyone have any feedback on the shrimp app.?  It sounded like the tastiest thing on the menu and I was tempted but I was concerned it might be like two shrimp.  Could it make for a light meal? 
it's decent, one of our faves. for some reason they've chosen to serve it on bed of shredded iceberg.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

staubio wrote: I think that is the permanent intent. They just want to ensure they are getting the food sales to go with the suites, so it is a bundled price.
If that's the case...there is really no other option to go see a movie. Comparing this place to the VIP option in the plaza is like comparing KC to Wichita!!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: Wonder how long they'll have that promotion. If you're going for dinner...it really doesn't cost much extra.
is it really a promotion? They are getting you to spend more $ at the theater overall. People prob spend 2-2
3x as much at fork and screen than they would a normal amc.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

I've been going to Cinema Suites ever since they opened down in Olathe and think it's a great deal.  You get a recliner and lots of space for the same price as a regular theater.  I always get a drink, popcorn and some sort of snack anyway, so the $10 voucher always gets used.  I've never gone to a regular movie and not spent $10 or more on drinks and snacks (unless I sneak them in). 

I gave up ordering the "food" from the menu.  The sandwiches are greasy and I have yet to find something that I think is worth the price.  But a giant bowl of popcorn, a beer and maybe some Twizzlers do me just fine for a movie.  :D
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

trailerkid wrote: is it really a promotion? They are getting you to spend more $ at the theater overall. People prob spend 2-2
3x as much at fork and screen than they would a normal amc.
Absolutely. Movie and dinner for $20. The Chicago style dog I had was under $10 and a hearty meal. My wife had a sandwich under $10. That's around $40 for dinner and a movie in a unique theater setting. Can't beat that.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Angel wrote: I gave up ordering the "food" from the menu.  The sandwiches are greasy and I have yet to find something that I think is worth the price.  But a giant bowl of popcorn, a beer and maybe some Twizzlers do me just fine for a movie.  :D
I noticed the same thing about the food being greasy.  I've done it twice at the Olathe theaters.  I think I had chicken strips once which weren't too bad, but the sandwich I had wasn't very good.  But I'm more of a beer and licorice kind of guy as well.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: Absolutely. Movie and dinner for $20. The Chicago style dog I had was under $10 and a hearty meal. My wife had a sandwich under $10. That's around $40 for dinner and a movie in a unique theater setting. Can't beat that.
I'm not denying it's a deal. I'm saying the fork and screen guarantees $20/seat whereas most dates wouldn't drop $40+ at dickinson westglen.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I'm not denying it's a deal. I'm saying the fork and screen guarantees $20/seat whereas most dates wouldn't drop $40+ at dickinson westglen.
Yeah you might only spend ~$20 on tickets at the westglen.  But then you are probably going to have to spend another $10 buying her coke/popcorn to tide her over during the show and still take her someplace for real food afterwords. 
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I went again last night. i absolutely love the cinema suites, and the marquee is a nice bar for beforehand. i will say, however, that my food was pretty greasy and ended up giving me a tummy ache, making a 2.5 hour long movie kind of painful. but what can i expect, ordering a burger with bacon, mushrooms, and a fried egg on top?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Bacon, mushroom, egg... Yeah, and my foot hurt last night too, when I shot it with a 38.  :lol:
Better be glad it wasn't your ticker.
ColumbusParkian wrote: I went again last night. i absolutely love the cinema suites, and the marquee is a nice bar for beforehand. i will say, however, that my food was pretty greasy and ended up giving me a tummy ache, making a 2.5 hour long movie kind of painful. but what can i expect, ordering a burger with bacon, mushrooms, and a fried egg on top?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I read herethat instead of screening its movie for critics, "GI Joe" will be concentrating its marketing efforts in places like Kansas City (thinking that we like crap more than the rest of the country?) There will even be a G.I. Joe convention Aug 13-16 at the Hyatt Crown Center.

I wonder if the Empire will have some sort of event?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCMax wrote: I read herethat instead of screening its movie for critics, "GI Joe" will be concentrating its marketing efforts in places like Kansas City (thinking that we like crap more than the rest of the country?) There will even be a G.I. Joe convention Aug 13-16 at the Hyatt Crown Center.

I must admit I'm not thinking this is going to be the best film but if the action and special effects are good and the plot makes sense, I'll be happy. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Cinema Suites.  The waitor tells us that the unused portion of the $10 concession voucher goes back to AMC, and cannot be used as a tip. 

Seems straight forward, i guess.  I wonder why you can't designate a portion of the remainder as a tip?  I mean, I technically own the $10 don't I? 

I went the other night and planned on getting a couple of beers.  Only got one.  Had roughly $4 left on my voucher.  Should I feel bad that I didn't leave a tip?  I did spend $20 after all for a movie and a beer. 
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

KCMax wrote: I read herethat instead of screening its movie for critics, "GI Joe" will be concentrating its marketing efforts in places like Kansas City (thinking that we like crap more than the rest of the country?) There will even be a G.I. Joe convention Aug 13-16 at the Hyatt Crown Center.

I don't know if it's fair to call it crap -- early returns are actually pretty staggering.  It's got an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is actually up from the last time I looked (80% previously).  There are only two negative reviews, and the one I read was pretty half-hearted.  Everything about this movie looked like it was going to be a wretched mess of historic magnitude, but it really sounds more like it might be the quintessential summer popcorn action movie.  I'm actually really excited to see it now, and if KC can get in on whatever big marketing ploy they want to do for it, then good for us.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So, how is the theater doing in terms of business a few months after opening?  Is it getting big crowds still?  Sellouts?  Any weeknight business?  Has it created more foot traffic in the District? 

Just curious.  I had hoped to see for myself but had to cancel my summer trip to KC this year.  I would think that the theater is an integral part of the District that absolutely must suceed to give the place a non restaurant/bar draw on a nightly basis. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Highlander wrote: So, how is the theater doing in terms of business a few months after opening?  Is it getting big crowds still?  Sellouts?  Any weeknight business?  Has it created more foot traffic in the District? 

Just curious.  I had hoped to see for myself but had to cancel my summer trip to KC this year.  I would think that the theater is an integral part of the District that absolutely must suceed to give the place a non restaurant/bar draw on a nightly basis. 

From my own experience, it must be good.

Some friends and I do a weekly movie night on Tuesday nights.  This summer we have run into 1 sellout and a few nearly full auditoriums on Tuesday nights at the Mainstreet.

If I go to the first movie on a Sunday, it's often just a couple of people in there.  But if I miss the first movie and try to go in the early afternoon,  I've run into sold out movies quite a few times.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Business will probably slow in September when Football season starts and the new fall TV season begins, September is typically the slowest time at the box office. It will pick up again in November.
Last edited by pstokely on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.