B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by MidWestSider »

PumpkinStalker wrote: PumpkinStalker, party of 5 has reservations as well. Might say hi if I recognize you!     
Cool.

You're going to have use some of your urban exploration skills so we can see the rest of the place.

I'll set the decoy!!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

MidWestSider wrote: Cool.

You're going to have use some of your urban exploration skills so we can see the rest of the place.

I'll set the decoy!!
Indeed!  I'll be in full blown "charm" mode towards the workers.  Dinner is at 7 but they offered me one of those happy hour gimmicks but I get free drinks out of the deal so hey!  I declined the VIP district passes that you have to buy $10 wrist bands for. What a conspiracy!
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

KCLofts wrote: Ground floor was packed full of people eating this evening.  I assume it's a training exercise/soft opening.  We should be getting close.
Got to eat there on Tuesday evening because my son is an employee. Food was very good. Try the waffle nachos.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Jeff wrote: Got to eat there on Tuesday evening because my son is an employee. Food was very good. Try the waffle nachos.
MMMMmmmmmm, nachos.  :P
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Anyone have a guess what prices will look like at AMC?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

MidWestSider wrote: We have reservations for Friday!!!
According to the P+L site, the place is "previewing" tomorrow. So anyone can come in for a drink or dinner?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

May 1 is official for grand opening...it would be super cool if some summer blockbuster is opening that day to this location only. That might be asking a bit much.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: May 1 is official for grand opening...it would be super cool if some summer blockbuster is opening that day to this location only. That might be asking a bit much.
The Marquee bar and grill is open tomorrow according to the web site.

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/in ... drink-play
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yup, I was just talking about the movie theatres themselves...should have clarified.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: May 1 is official for grand opening...it would be super cool if some summer blockbuster is opening that day to this location only. That might be asking a bit much.
What about a limited release?  They routinely do that in Chicago and NY...don't see why a company HQ'd here can't do one in KC?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I can't believe the Marquee bar/grill is going to stay open til 5am on weekends -with Fran's open 24 hours this corner will be a blast late night!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: The Marquee bar and grill is open tomorrow according to the web site.

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/in ... drink-play
good luck getting anyone to answer the phone to make a reservation (i've tried since yesterday morning). the district also sent out an email that they're listed on opentable.com, which they are not.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Hello!

Thanks for contacting The Marquee Bar & Grill. If you have been trying to make reservations, sorry for any inconvenience you may have had. Our Grand Opening is tomorrow, Friday, March 27th! We are opening at 4pm and taking reservations from that point on. We are also taking reservations for Saturday starting at 4pm.

The Marquee Bar & Grill will be open for lunch Monday, March 30th starting at 11am.

If you would like to make a reservation for Friday or Saturday, please email clara@themarqueekc.com with:
1)Your name
2) Date
3)Time
4)# of guests

Thanks and we look forward to having you!

Clara Simmons
Sales Manager
The Marquee Bar & Grill
1400 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
Phone: 816.474.4545
Cell: 913.832.7415
clara@themarqueekc.com
www.powerandlightdistrict.com
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I was invited in to the theater last night while walking around the P&L with my Cosentino's bag, and was extremely impressed with what AMC has done to the place, at least with the first floor public space.  Granted, everything is essentially a new interior in the gutted shell of the Empire, but they really have done a great, sleek job with it, and the Marquee space particularly is very well done (at least from what I gathered on a quick walk-through). 

Much like Cosentino's Market, DT is lucky to have a unique, locallly sponsored theater of this quality, and it is another good example of the scope and change P&L has brought to the area (i.e. outside just the Live block).  I can't wait to see a movie here, and I can't believe the Marquee is open 'till 4-5 AM (!) with Fran's (24hrs) across the street, as mentioned above.  Bravo Cordish/AMC!
are we spinning free?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I read in the Star online that AMC has begun a large conversion of their screens to RealD for 3D movies.  Does anyone know if the Mainstreet has a RealD screen?  :D
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I would guess so.  It is supposed to be one of the, or the most technologically advanced theater in the US or world or something.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why 5am?  I can't wrap my mind around them staying open that late.

I am happy but I just don't see why, will they have rocky horror films every night starting at 1am????

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

In a nutshell, I was very impressed by the food.  I have to admit I wasn't expecting much from a restaurant in a theater but was pleasantly surprised.  Our waiter was very pleasant, totally casual and clueless about the menu, but in an endearing way.  Our table was in a good mood so that helped the situation.  Our food was all 50% off, and my drinks were free since I was the one that made the reservations!  Score, one martini and 3 Jim Beam and Cokes later I was pretty content.  The ginger pear martini was TERRIBLE though.  Seriously, not mixed well and just plain awful.  It was like straight vodka with no flavor at all. 

We ordered the waffle nachos which were awesome.  The firecracker shrimp were also very good.  The ladies in our group split the steak salad and turkey crepes.  They both enjoyed their meals.  I ordered the McGee burger which was really good.  It had great flavor and wasn't dry.  My friend Brian also had a burger of some sort.  I sub'd mashed potatoes for the fries.  The mashed potatoes were too thin, although they tasted good.  They were hard to keep on a fork because they almost ran between the tines.

There are open brick walls and concrete supports, partially clothed in wood and drywall.  There was live music of some sort, some groups of KU fans watching the game in little "private-ish" areas of lounge seating.  All in all, people seamed to be having a good time.

As usual, we ducked up a stair well and began snooping around, the ladies didn't follow.  Here are some sneak pictures of what it looks like.  There are 6 screens, we only made it into the top 3.  The bottom 3 were heavily guarded  :?  There is still a lot of work to be done, but nothing too major.  Our waiter explained that (one?) of the theaters received all movies via satellite and if you rented out the theater you could pick whatever movie you wanted to watch for your party and they pulled it up for you on satellite.  Each twosome of seats had a console with a call button to get a waiter to come in and assist.  Looks AWESOME and I'll never go anywhere else in the metro to see a mainstream movie.  Of course, I'll still support Screenland, etc.

Servers

Neat old stair well...

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Thanks for the great post.  The actual theatres look marvelous...the Multicolor/rainbow LED (I presume) lighting is quite a nice touch.  Overall though I have mixed feelings.  I love the fact that the theatre is restored and will soon be in use once again, but everything outside of the actual theatres seems far too contemporary for my taste.  That's just my opinion though.  It almost feels cookie cutter-ish.  I've always liked houses and rooms that use contemporary styling, but I feel that in larger, more open spaces...it seems to create odd dead spots...like the blank walls, and strange un-natural feel with the modern, hard cut furniture.  I really wish this place could just be an over the top excursion into 1920's Gatsby like splendor, with flowing grand staircases, and art deco motifs...but maybe that's just asking too much.  Although, with being a movie theatre, some styling that just whisps you off into a grand world of old & new would be quite breathtaking.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

exterior photos in the KC photos section

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=15747.0

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit